Local Flu Outbreak

4,927 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Scoopen Skwert
Rapier108
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
It's the first week of classes, and hundreds of college students are down sick with the flu.

The Brazos County Health Department tells News 3 that there are 182 confirmed cases of the flu in the county and 71 cases of flu-like illness.

This respiratory illness is very contagious; that's why experts say it has spread quickly these past few days.

An epidemiologist with the health department says it's mostly college-aged women who are being diagnosed right now, but doctors are saying the outbreak is no longer isolated to campus. Patients of varying ages have begun to report symptoms as well.
http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Hundreds-of-Brazos-Co-residents-sick-with-flu-or-flu-symptoms-391807221.html

Doubt the flu shot would do any good (are they even available yet?) since the strain of flu that tends to strike in the summer is usually not the same kind that is covered by the "seasonal flu" shot we get in the fall.
Cancelled
AG
I was at S&W yesterday and at least 3 sorority girls were sick...said the entire sorority row was sick.
redd38
AG
Yep, I've heard it's going around the sororities
DBSwooper
quote:
Must resist...the obvious jokes...

On a more serious note, doesn't this basically happen every new fall semester (the fast spread of a virus effecting many students)?
A gazillion girls went through Rush last week so there was a ton of together time as they went through the sorting process. It would not take much to spread the flu far and wide.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Must resist...the obvious jokes...

On a more serious note, doesn't this basically happen every new fall semester (the fast spread of a virus effecting many students)?
Yup. It's that time of year. Sickness and traffic increase exponentially. But hey at least those businesses that survived the summer are thriving again.
FlyRod
Thriving summer sicknesses.
halibut sinclair
DrFlo
AG
Flu shots are currently available around town, though I heard a rumor that CDC is in town doing research and the current local outbreak may not be covered with the current immunization. Get one anyway
BigBubba
AG
I want to know what sorority my wife was partying with!
starched_bingo
quote:

Apparently lice came with the flu to rush
LAC
Probably the chemtrail flu.
Kate Beckett
AG
Well I just finished up a cold so that crap better stay FAR AWAY FROM ME.
Wildmen03
AG
Happens every year once school starts back up.

On the Quad we called it the Corps Crud.
KidDoc
AG
quote:
Happens every year once school starts back up.

On the Quad we called it the Corps Crud.
Random viral stuff happens every September, and strep as well, but it is very unusual to have confirmed influenza. The CDC is trying to figure out if it is new or a remnant of last year's late flu season.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
News said it was from a foreign student.
Rapier108
quote:
Big shocker there. Some damn strain that no one here has any immunity to whatsoever, and the flu shot is worthless to protect against.

Happened to me once, picked up some strain my doctor sent off to be IDed because of how ill I was. Took me two full weeks to recover, and I didn't feel normal again for another six. He said it was a strain from outside the US.
Wildmen03
AG
quote:

Typhoid Hamal?
FNG
quote:

Which news source? Post a link.

The initial report was that it was running rampant on sorority row after rush week.

There don't tend to be many foreign students on sorority row.
techno-ag
AG
My goodness. With 60k students or more, it's little surprise there would be more sickness at the beginning of the semester.

God bless, hope everyone gets to feeling better.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
I googled it but can't find the link. I think it was on the 5pm kbtx news around the time the news broke.
FNG
quote:
I googled it but can't find the link. I think it was on the 5pm kbtx news around the time the news broke.

Link or it didn't happen.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Ok didn't happen then. I just decided to tell a tall tale. Will work on my sources next time and try to get the proper format.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.