BTU Bill

2,719 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ornlu
MsC2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just looked our bill.. we are in a 2/1.5 townhouse. About 1,000 sq feet.

This past month it's showing we used 1350 kwh... Last month we used 582. Water isn't included.

Does anyone think this is crazy?
fcag
AG
Check last month and this month and see if one is "estimated" and the other is "read", or something like that.

Sometimes they will just guess your usage based on historical data and the next month they will come out and actually read it. If they underestimated on the prior month, they'll catch you up on the new bill.
carpe vinum
AG
I think BTU has completely shifted to the automated meters so they don't have to send out readers anymore. It automatically reads every month.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
I think BTU has completely shifted to the automated meters so they don't have to send out readers anymore. It automatically reads every month.
yep. they also automatically tell them when/where the power is out. Our power went out a year or two ago after a thunderstorm. We called to let them know, and they said a truck was already on it's way b/c the meter had informed them (or maybe lost communication with the meter?). With the automated meters, they can see who has power, and who doesn't, and narrow down where the problems are.
techno-ag
AG
It was hot. Maybe you turned your AC down?
ksp
quote:
It was hot. Maybe you turned your AC down?
Last 10 days has been way below normal. My bill was 23% cheaper than the previous month.

Edit I am on CSU not BTU.
SumAggie
get used to it folks as you ain't seen nothin' yet - and welcome to Obama's Amerika.....
InMyOpinion
quote:
I just looked our bill.. we are in a 2/1.5 townhouse. About 1,000 sq feet.

This past month it's showing we used 1350 kwh... Last month we used 582. Water isn't included.

Does anyone think this is crazy?

So you are comparing June to July? Seems high for you size house. Mine was about 600kwh more for a lot larger - but brand new home. Could be a lot of factors. Maybe previous month was estimated and this month was actual reading. Maybe compare to this month last year for same month if you were at this same place.
redd38
AG
How cold do you keep it? I live in a 1 bedroom apartment and I was at almost 800 kwh last month, I keep it cold though. So 1350 kwh doesn't seem unreasonable for something your size.

My last 3 bills haven't had any big jumps though. All within 50 kwh of each other.
TexAg2016
AG
BTU definitely has automated meters. False readings aren't really plausible. I usually use 1500-2000 KWh in the summer months (June-Aug) with three people in a 1500sqft house. Seems normal.
MsC2012
AG
Last month was a 21 day billing period and we were out of town for a week, and turned the AC all the way up to 85.

This bill is 31 days, and it's 1350 KWH.

The only thing that's perplexing is before we signed our lease I called and got the high and low bills and the highest BTU had was like $110.
Expert Analysis
AG
so a longer billing cycle, plus not being gone for a week with the AC set higher, and you used more electricity. that seems normal...

previous resident may not have used AC as much, maybe it wasn't rented last year during the summer.
BCStalk
Ya our bill was $320 for the past 2 months on a 900sq/ft duplex. Welcome to Texas.
Ornlu
AG
BTU doesn't have 100% of their homes on smart meters yet. Last I heard, they'll have all of them installed before 2016 is over though. They did my water meter last month and are doing my electric meter next month.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.