Race Track - What is the latest?

12,410 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by dave99ag
BigBubba
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So what is the latest with the race track closing and the new development starting? It seems like this keeps getting delayed. I noticed the race track calendar has events scheduled through the end of the year.
DBSwooper
My best guess is they got the ESA back and realized the profit margin would be really slim for the cost of cleanup prior to beginning development. Or perhaps they don't have the capital to undertake what has to be a significant cleanup and contaminated dirt removal/disposal.
TSJ
AG
Atleast in the track community, there are no plans for a 2017 season.
AggieAces06
AG
There was a proposed site map posted a while Back from the City's website. So I think the wheels are slowly turning.
Ornlu
AG
quote:
My best guess is they got the ESA back and realized the profit margin would be really slim for the cost of cleanup prior to beginning development. Or perhaps they don't have the capital to undertake what has to be a significant cleanup and contaminated dirt removal/disposal.
Sounds like you know something the rest of use don't? Was there a LUST or something?
DBSwooper
quote:
quote:
Sounds like you know something the rest of use don't? Was there a LUST or something?
The rumor is yes but I haven't been able to confirm it, so who knows.
Picadillo
That track rocked this town back in the day. I know I'm dreaming but it would be nice if it could be rebuilt.
SARATOGA
Can you inform the rest of us sheeple what a "LUST" might be ?

I continue to remain hopeful that it won't be a housing development.
CEAg78
AG
quote:
Can you inform the rest of us sheeple what a "LUST" might be ?

I continue to remain hopeful that it won't be a housing development.
Leaking Underground Storage Tank
Ornlu
AG
Yea sorry. Leaking Underground Storage Tank. Engineer-speak for "environmental problem of unknown size". Might be a disaster, might be no big deal.

That development will include commercial space, but it'll also include a lot of houses. It also has allocated space for schools, fire stations, etc. Site plan's at: https://maps.cstx.gov/pdspublic/NDL%20Drawings/PP2016-000014.tif?sortby=
SARATOGA
I looked at the plat. Hopefully that never happens. Looks like a million houses and not near enough highway access.

TJJackson
I thought this was about a gas station that fell through.
jac4
AG
quote:
I looked at the plat. Hopefully that never happens. Looks like a million houses and not near enough highway access.

But there's a rec center. Add a stand alone ER and a place that sells chicken tenders and we're all good.
UmustBKidding
You forgot nail salon, it must have a nail salon.
Post removed:
by user
SARATOGA
With lots that small I don't think the houses are going to be 300K+

Looks like a stylecraft/Froehling squeeze as many lots as you can into the space from what the plat looks like.......
PS3D
quote:

How an it be next to a highway "not enough highway access"?? Why, should it be surrounded with freeways, like the old Texas Stadium in Dallas?
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:

How an it be next to a highway "not enough highway access"?? Why, should it be surrounded with freeways, like the old Texas Stadium in Dallas?
Agreed about highway access. And it's surprising to see the angst about this. More growth, more housing for folks moving here, more taxable properties. It's a win win win.
FlyRod
RafterAg223
AG
Folks in this town can't have their cake and eat it too. Most people I talk to want more restaurants/retail/whole foods/Costco etc... All of those users want more residential density around them before they enter the market. More rooftops=more amenities that people want. College Station is running out of affordable residential land to develop. It's a pipe dream to expect that residential development will not get more dense, given the scarcity of land. Would my ideal development consist of 2000 lots, all with 50' lot fronts? Probably not. But the real demand in the housing market right now sits in the $200k to $300K range. You absolutely cannot deliver that price home right now in a restricted suburban neighborhood where lots are 10,000 foot minimums. The $375K+ home market around here has slowed significantly and is currently quite stagnant. Should we exclude lower middle income families from moving in to College Station?
birdman
It's going to be a slum from Day 1. Once it shows a little age, it will get much worse.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Folks in this town can't have their cake and eat it too. Most people I talk to want more restaurants/retail/whole foods/Costco etc... All of those users want more residential density around them before they enter the market. More rooftops=more amenities that people want. College Station is running out of affordable residential land to develop. It's a pipe dream to expect that residential development will not get more dense, given the scarcity of land. Would my ideal development consist of 2000 lots, all with 50' lot fronts? Probably not. But the real demand in the housing market right now sits in the $200k to $300K range. You absolutely cannot deliver that price home right now in a restricted suburban neighborhood where lots are 10,000 foot minimums. The $375K+ home market around here has slowed significantly and is currently quite stagnant. Should we exclude lower middle income families from moving in to College Station?
Nailed it.
CS78
quote:
With lots that small I don't think the houses are going to be 300K+

Looks like a stylecraft/Froehling squeeze as many lots as you can into the space from what the plat looks like.......
Have you looked in Castlegate II?

New build "starter" homes are pretty much extinct in CS due to land prices. The lots haven't gotten any bigger but the houses have.
halibut sinclair
quote:
It's going to be a slum from Day 1. Once it shows a little age, it will get much worse.
Nailed it.
Post removed:
by user
SARATOGA
If you look at the plat, there is only 1 entrance to the Hwy 6 feeder. Others are to Peach Creek Cutoff, Pipeline Road, and somewhere else on the back side.

That egregious horrific monstrosity, should probably have 3 ingress/egress points to the hwy 6 feeder, but may not own the land directly next to the feeder except on the very north end.

And its the same argument as developers and apartments. If you continue to allow a market surplus then it will beckon to criminals from Houston etc. Easiest way to keep criminals out is to price them out. Its easier than more police, neighborhood watch programs, etc. Then the only worry you have is Houston criminals day tripping up to B/CS for crime then returning back to Houston when the "workday" of thievery is done like there was last week.

SARATOGA
Also Eastside NIMBY
RafterAg223
AG
Are you trying to say that the criminal element comes from college educated lower middle class families making combined household incomes of $90k to $115k per year? Because that is the demographic buying homes in this price range in these types of developments in suburban Houston and Dallas.
PS3D
quote:
Are you trying to say that the criminal element comes from college educated lower middle class families making combined household incomes of $90k to $115k per year? Because that is the demographic buying homes in this price range in these types of developments in suburban Houston and Dallas.
Ding ding ding, these types of developments are going up in suburban Houston and Dallas (probably S.A. and Austin as well) and they're small but also expensive. If you're concerned about trying to price out "the poors", what you'll end up is obscenely expensive housing for everyone, making College Station basically a more socially conservative San Francisco, but with no hills, scenery, or good food.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Ding ding ding, these types of developments are going up in suburban Houston and Dallas (probably S.A. and Austin as well) and they're small but also expensive. If you're concerned about trying to price out "the poors", what you'll end up is obscenely expensive housing for everyone, making College Station basically a more socially conservative San Francisco, but with no hills, scenery, or good food.
Exactly. The snobs will never be able to price out the poor in College Station.
birdman
This isn't going to be Castlegate 2. Those lots are 8k or 10k square feet.

The race track development average lot is 5,500 feet.
RafterAg223
AG
And homes on 5,500 foot lots in similar developments elsewhere are going for $250k+. The lot foot frontage dynamic as it relates to crap or not crap housing went out the window a long time ago.
FlyRod
quote:
Exactly. The snobs will never be able to price out the poor in College

Techno seems really concerned about the impact this will have on the low-income buyers of his properties.
RafterAg223
AG
"low income" buyers don't buy these homes. Low income does not equal lower range of the middle class in this country where you have dual income households with one or 2 kids that need a reasonably affordable roof over their heads. Some people here just seem to live in their own warped reality.
Ornlu
AG
quote:
Also Eastside NIMBY
Do you own that term? Embrace it? I think you should.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.