Labor and Delivery - The Med VS Scott and White

4,207 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by msaggie98
wikies08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll be delivering in about 75 days, and last time I delivered we had a terrible experience at the Med about 3 years ago. I want some recent feedback on experiences at Scott and White and The Med. I'm more concerned about knowledge of the staff versus newness facilities.

I've been told the issue we had at the Med was because it was when Scott and White just opened up and most experienced nurses moved over there. However, I'm still considered. Looking forward to feedback!
BrazosWifi
We just had one at S&W. It went very smooth and the staff was friendly and attentive.

My wife seemed ok with the bedside manner.

We have been at St Joseph before. I liked S&W better.
phatpat21
Never been to S&W
Had our second kid at the Med in Feb '15, no problems whatsoever.
Will have our third there in Dec
Jinx
Similar vein, I'm curious what the comparitive costs are. I tried calling and speaking to them directly (S&W) and just got sent on an endless chain of transfers for nearly my entire lunch hour (about 45min).
KidDoc
AG
St Jo now has in house OB hospitality and Texas Children's NICU docs.

I don't have personal experience with the other guys sorry.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Anchor
AG
We did The Med for the first one (2013) and Scott and White for the twins (2015). I didn't really notice a difference other than it was a different hospital. My wife may feel differently though.
dv0478
the med will bend you over with bills way past what they tell you up front
SoTheySay
S
I have experience with neonatologists at The Med. Sister delivered at S&W and also had a pleasant experience with NICU. Their NICU facility is impressive compared to what I personally experienced (not at Med).
AggieAces06
AG
I delivered at Scott & White in late 2014 and had a great experience. My dr was with Scott and white though, so I didn't even consider going anywhere else.
Stupe
S
We used the Med for all of our children and had no billing issues at all. Ask your OBGYN and use whichever one they feel most comfortable with.
We selected our hospital based on which hospital our baby would be sent to if there was a problem. It has been a few years, so things may have changed but we wanted to head to Texas Children's in Houston rather than Temple so we went with The Med.
justalocal
What was your issue with the MED?

I had my first at St Joes and my twins at the MED. I had no issues with either but I'm like the easiest to please. I like people to just leave me alone. I had no issues with St Joes. My delivery at the MED was unexpected. I ended up there rather than St Joes due to a complication and I drove to the closest hospital at 4 am. At delivery, my OB was stuck in traffic, the first twin was caught/delivered by a nurse - it could of been her first day for all I know. The situation wasn't sprinkles and rainbows. My second was delivered breech. I believe everyone did their best under the circumstances. The twins had no complications and have no deficits, thank God, as the outcome could have been bad. The only negative really was that we set up a payment plan at the MED and they sent it to collections anyway.

I've never delivered at S&W.
waterchick
I had the twin egrets at Scott & White in 2014. My OB was a SW doc so delivering at S&W was a foregone conclusion but I was highly satisfied. They do "couplet care" meaning the same nurses check on mom and baby/babies, which makes a lot of sense. They also expect the baby to "room in" with mom, so (at least in 2014) they didn't have a separate nursery. I was able to get the nurses to give me a break and take the twins overnight, thank goodness. The nurses treated us with care and compassion and they had lactation consultants available literally at the push of a button.

Scott & White's billing is atrocious (then again, all 3 hospitals seem to have problematic billing). My experience has been that if you send a check, either by mail or e-check, it disappears into some black hole. Every time. Charges paid through Scott & White's MyChart website/app with a credit card seem to get credited just fine.

No experience with L&D at the Med, sorry.

ETA: staff in place at the time you deliver can have a lot of influence on your birth experience. If you have a strong preference/avoidance for certain birth interventions or processes, be sure that's noted in your birth plan and make sure the staff (on all shifts) is clued in. Good luck, and best wishes!
SchnauzerMom
Most of the time, it depends upon your doctor and where they can deliver at. I delivered at The Med in March after suffering severe complications. Everyone we dealt with was very pleasant, helpful, and attentive. The ER nurses even came to check on me the following day since they were the initial group to treat me. I was there a total of 5 days. IF I have another child, I hope to deliver there again. My only complaint, which was mentioned earlier, even if you set up a payment plan, they sometimes turn the bill over to collections. They only did this with one of my bills though. I called the collections company and set up another payment plan with them and have had no other issues.
TexasAggie_02
AG
we had our first at the Med last fall and had no issues.
techno-ag
AG
St. Joe's & the Med were both great for us. Haven't had any babies at S&W yet.
Carnwellag2
The Med is horrible with billing. Consistently overcharges, gives patients the run around on getting the correct billing, and sends to collections quickly.

Have used them several times- but NEVER again
FNG
quote:
The Med is horrible with billing. Consistently overcharges, gives patients the run around on getting the correct billing, and sends to collections quickly.

Have used them several times- but NEVER again

This was my experience. Just awful.
Prune Tracy
Frio Cielo
quote:
Had one kid at each of the three.

Med in 2011 - Very meh. Staff was nice, but the facility was long in the tooth. Billing was a nightmare. I know of no significant upgrades since then, so I'd put it 3rd, currently.

St. Joe's in 2012 - Decent facilities and a wonderful staff. My wife's S&W OBGYN could deliver there, so she did. No major billing issues. Close 2nd.

S&W in 2016 - Facility was amazing, but they drug a lot of equipment over from the clinic on University. It was frustrating to have to wait while they found working sonogram equipment or whatever, but at least the room we were waiting in was nice. It seemed that we recognized some of the staff from their time at St. Joe's, so it looked like a few made the switch when the hospital opened.

"Had one kid at each of the three."

Now, there's one for the national news. FAst moving people.

msaggie98
AG
We delivered a baby girl at 31 weeks, 5 days at S&W...Memorial Day 2015. Obviously it was not something we planned to do that early, and a premature birth was also made more complicated by the storms and flooding that came through our area that holiday weekend.
This was our third child and I can honestly say that it was, by far, the best hospital experience we've had. They were not only competent and thorough, they knew exactly how to handle a baby born that early and the doctors, L&D nurses, and NICU team were ready and waiting when we got there. Facilities are obviously very nice because they are new, but as a scared mom, it was also very comfortable and they did everything they could do to keep me positive and in good spirits.
And after spending almost 6 weeks in the NICU, I can't praise their NICU team (neonatologists and nursing staff) enough. Being there as long as we were, we were able to get to know the nurses both in L&D and in the NICU, and I can tell you, with certainty, those nurses are all extremely well educated and very experienced. They hired their NICU nurses away from some pretty large hospitals (Level III NICUs) and they were more than capable of handling my daughter and other critical babies that came in while we were there. And, unfortunately, this was not our first NICU experience. One of our older sons has spina bifida and was born at SW Temple so I feel pretty knowledgable when comparing the two facilities. And really, there is no comparison. College Station blew Temple away.
In addition to their nurses and doctors, they have 2 fantastic lactation consultants. And unless you have nursed every "type" of baby out there, a lactation consultant can be invaluable with a new baby... And especially one born 8 weeks premature.
Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to reassure anyone considering S&W that you're making the right decision. Hospital billing, in general, is crappy. You're not going to find a hospital who has it all together in that department, LOL. What really matters is patient care. Hopefully you guys won't need anything more than a routine, easy delivery. But if you do need more, you can feel confident that they will take good care of you there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.