World of Beer

5,301 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Broncos
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For a chain the food is really quite good. Shame the local management and service are so bad.
montegobay
We've only been once, same experience. Great food, awful and slow service!
halibut sinclair
We've been 5 or 6 times. Food and service were great.
FlyRod
Ditto. Great place on both counts.
AggieJason
AG
Never been - and never will - due to location.
BourbonOTR
Surprised to read this. I have been at least 5 times and good service. With exception of 1 time where the server was nice and quick but knew nothing about beer.
FlyRod
You're surprised to read someone complain about a business here?
kevmiller
Wife and I have talked about going this place a few times but never have.
Location and it likely being overrun with nothing but college students has kept us away
Broncos
WOB is awesome. Great beer selection and good food. The service can be slow at times but most of the time it's about average for this town.

It also isn't overrun with students. Since their beer prices are higher than other bars it steers most students away. If anything it's overrun by the older crowd and young professionals.
FlyRod
Nailed it. A good model of the kind of place we need more of.
KidDoc
AG
quote:
We've been 5 or 6 times. Food and service were great.
Same
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Post removed:
by user
halibut sinclair
quote:
Where does one park at this establishment? Assuming CSPD frowns on parking on University.
Free parking on the street directly behind WOB and in the nearby parking garage. It's not really that big of a deal.
halibut sinclair
quote:
Location and it likely being overrun with nothing but college students has kept us away
You're missing out. If you're lucky, you'll get the rapping waiter. He's very entertaining.
FlyRod
I actually won one of those cute contests there where you hold out a full pitcher at complete extended arms length for as long as possible. Twas much fun.
Broncos
quote:
quote:
You're missing out. If you're lucky, you'll get the rapping waiter. He's very entertaining.

He is entertaining and surprisingly a pretty good rapper.
jja79
AG
quote:
You're surprised to read someone complain about a business here?

Had lunch there 5 or 6 saturdays. Never busy but always poor service.

Got there about 12:30 today and there were less than 20 people in the place. Son and I sat at the bar. After 4 or 5 bartenders walked by ignoring us I asked for menus.

After we ordered the bartender comes back to tell us sorry we're out of buns. Seriously? Son changes order and his is delivered in 10 minutes or so. 10 more minutes go by and I don't get my food. I ask them to check. The cook forgot to cook it. I asked to see manager who reluctantly speaks to me. No apology, no what can we do. I have to argue with him to take my never cooked, never delivered food off the check.

You guys enjoy it. I'll go someplace else.
halibut sinclair
Thinking we might go there today.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
They only have sweet tea, no plain tea. What kind of ****ing sadist only has sweetened tea?

Their food is not good when compared to a food-first establishment. It's pretty good for bar food, but it's nothing to write home about. The tater tot nachos aren't bad.
FlyRod
Going to a beer bar to drink tea...priceless.
KidDoc
AG
quote:
They only have sweet tea, no plain tea. What kind of ****ing sadist only has sweetened tea?

Their food is not good when compared to a food-first establishment. It's pretty good for bar food, but it's nothing to write home about. The tater tot nachos aren't bad.
I gotta disagree with this. I mostly go for the Beerunch on Sunday and the Hangover skillet, waffles, french toast are all pretty amazing.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BCStalk
Didn't know they had food. I thought it was just a bar. Stupid question possibly but where do you park?

Edit: can't type today
BCStalk
techno-ag
AG
Glad for the variety in town, glad it's here.

That said, I tried it once. Had to park in back and walk. I know, I know, the horror. But I think it was 105 that day.

Food was "meh." Beer selection was nice. It's just not a place we'll go to regularly.
Broncos
quote:
Didn't know they had food. I thought it was just a bar. Stupid question possibly but where do you park?

Edit: can't type today

Parking is in the garage which is located behind (northwest) from World of Beer... or there are parking spots available along the entry road to World of Beer located just west of Texas Ave on University Drive.
BCStalk
Thanks. The wife and I are going to try First Watch this week, but will definitely give them a try next week for lunch.
TSJ
AG
quote:

Halibut, I think his name is Darell (da-rel). I've only been there one time. I think it was Sunday afternoon this summer so not busy. He was our waiter and we couldn't have had a better experience. Came a way with very good impression of the place.
FlyRod
I usually park in the lot just north of that complex, right off Tx Ave...might be one of the new hotels. Its roughly a 2 minute walk from there to World Of Beer.

I've never gone wrong with the chimichurri meatballs, chicken sliders, ahi tuna poke, their salads, or the black and blue flatbread. The bratwurst sliders were all-some but I think they took them off the menu. Haven't tried their brunch, but our new hires are regulars there. One of our favorite post-work go-to places.

Service can indeed be slow; like everyone else in town they are constrained by having to hire college kids as servers. That comes with a cost.

They are obviously doing something right as they seem packed out pretty regularly. Between them, First Watch, Mad Taco and Cafe Eccell 2.0, this area has some great options for visitors staying in those hotels nearby, as well as those of us who live nearby (have walked to W.O.B. a few times).

I'm glad they are not at Northgate. Though happy West End Elixer is, which provides a similar model of appealing to young professionals while pricing out the rowdy college crowd.
jja79
AG
Student servers give high level service at many restaurants around town. Management sets the expectation. World of Beer has indifferent management when it comes to service.

You can spend less, get much better food and great service at Napa Flats for example. Went there today. Excellent.
FlyRod
Now that's funny. Every time I've been to Napa Flats, I see servers standing around playing with their phones, and service takes forever.

But maybe that's changing...
carodz
AG
As someone who loves craft beer, I wanted to love World of Beer. Went there with my fiance and some friends ~4 months after it opened and was sorely disappointed; we have not gone back.

Our beer and food orders took forever and the place was not packed full. At least one time we saw our beers sitting at the end of the bar for 15 minutes before the waiter came by and openly tried to blame the bartenders working that day for being slow. My burger sucked. Nobody else we were with liked the food they got. Salad had fiance feeling sick the next day. Only good thing was the giant pretzel.

Maybe it's gotten better. I would go back to sit at the bar and drink but probably not to eat.
CharlieMac
It's pretty typical of bar service in most cities. Works well for me.

STUPID amounts of beer. LOVE that.

Not many students. Hell, I probably see several of y'all in there.

The food is ok. The pretzel(or 3) is pretty nice after a few. Great happy hour menu.

Well needed change of pace here, IMO. It's on my rotation.
CharlieMac
Good observations, as usual.. I try not to pigeon hole each place into something that already exists here..
Keep up the good work!
FlyRod
Frio Cielo
quote:
Now that's funny. Every time I've been to Napa Flats, I see servers standing around playing with their phones, and service takes forever.

But maybe that's changing...

I don't know why managers of restaurant allow the waitstaff to use their phones while on the floor. You see it in many restaurants around town.

Last week my wife and I went to Wings on University just before 12N to beat the lunch crowd and sat in the bar area. Our waitress was very pleasant but after every visit to the two tables that she had she rushed over and took her leaning spot with two other waitresses near the steps up into the bar area and immediately go on her phone. She finally go toff the phone to get our food, which was cold, and after delivery it almost ran to her spot again and get on her phone. I had to wave at her three times to get drink refills and additional napkins.

Managers should not allow use of phones while on the clock at restaurants unless it's an exceptional need and reason.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.