Why Is KBTX.....

10,471 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Jimmy&^
FNG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
OK, you keep this up Mike Wright will post one of his feel good messages from Waco.
Jimmy&^
Capn Mac
I can contrast 26 years in Brayn to my last 5 years in DFW.

The local news has 17 minutes of airtime.
They give up about 2 of those to gabbing and yuk-yuking amongst themselves.
5 minutes is committed to sports.
4 minutes goes to weather.
That leaves 6 minutes to be newsworthy (unless there is a weather or sports event to chop in).

KBTX (Channel 40, and the NBC affiliate) have Brazos County to cover, along with Robertson, Booger, and Grimes. Which they can, as they have to fill six minutes with something.

The DFW stations promote that they have a service area right about the size of Connecticut. With about as many towns and hamlets, too. Not that Alvorado ISD gets mush in the way of airtime Niether does Lancaster, Princeton, Mansfield, or Lewisville for that matter.

Which does not mean that the DFW local news is any better than KBTX--after all, all those talking heads learned their trade in "smaller" markets just like BCS. So, they will waste all sorts of time on lame or severly localized issues and get all lathered up over it.

Both outlets are in serious trouble in that they are serving an ever-shrinking market. Nor does it help that their info is largely print sourced--another rapidly declining market. So, they are in a constant battle to have any evidence that people even bother so that they can sell ad space during the news (typically the highest-costing local advertising)

I gave up on local news a long time ago, so I can't say I miss it very much.
agfan1030
Y'all should read a small town/county paper like the Giddings Times and News.
MondayMorningQB
AG
Are you not entertained?
FNG
quote:
Y'all should read a small town/county paper like the Giddings Times and News.

Moby in the Morning on 97 Rock in Houston used to read the Brenham Police Beat out of some little paper.

We kept that theme when eating at La Taqueria since they had a stand with that little paper inside. It was funny.
Post removed:
by user
bushytailed
AG
Tonight's weather gal needs to learn the difference between northwest and northeast. She said the wrong direction twice when talking about Hurricane Gaston during the 10pm weather
James Russell
AG
I guess someone took it upon themselves to liven up the local news...

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Finfeather-Road-residents-react-after-three-robberies-with-one-being-shot-391657271.html

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/College-Station-police-investigating-shootings-at-University-Trails-apartments--391530281.html
Jimmy&^
Their a Big difference in quality of local news KBTX did in the 80's and 90's. During that time you could see KBTX news teams all over BCS almost everyday. Today it is like people from outside of the area, now guess on what is news to recycle from other TV stations in BCS. Then the can put in some BCS filler news of low relevance.
halibut sinclair
quote:
Their a Big difference in quality of local news KBTX did in the 80's and 90's. During that time you could see KBTX news teams all over BCS almost everyday. Today it is like people from outside of the area, now guess on what is news to recycle from other TV stations in BCS. Then the can put in some BCS filler news of low relevance.
Easy for you to say.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Drunk?
Goose83
AG
quote:

KBTX (Channel 40, and the NBC affiliate) have Brazos County to cover, along with Robertson, Booger, and Grimes.

Robertson County = Booger County.
Jimmy&^
quote:
I guess someone took it upon themselves to liven up the local news...

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Finfeather-Road-residents-react-after-three-robberies-with-one-being-shot-391657271.html

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/College-Station-police-investigating-shootings-at-University-Trails-apartments--391530281.html
Sometimes KBTX does local news other then covering Trump protesters and DNC spotlight event in Brazos county.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.