Why Is KBTX.....

10,488 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Jimmy&^
Jimmy Conway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Reporting tonight on unhappy tenants at an apartment complex in College Station? So now anytime an AC goes out, or a door handle is broken and management doesn't get on it immediately the news station can be called?

Same goes for wondering why they did a report some time back on a small private road that had pot holes and when they tried to corner the owner and ask him why the pot holes aren't being fixed.

Maybe Im missing something but I think news should be reported as news not consumers and businesses or whatever not getting along or being unsatisfied with one another. When KBTX does this kinda stuff it reaffirms they are a small time desperate entity trying to grasp at anything and turn it into news.

(And no, I'm not affiliated with the apartment or road mentioned above).
Ag13
AG
Probably because it was a slow news day
BusAg
AG
Believe these type of news stories are also reported on major city news channels too.
Average Joe
AG
It's a local news channel that reports local news. Sometimes in a town this small there isn't much to report on.
rhoswen
AG
Then there's the news pieces on the teacher who was no longer assigning homework to second graders. Why on earth was that news?
Frio Cielo
Because there is, "Slime in the ice box!"
Kitten With A Whip
Small time my butt! Marvin Zindler's entire career revolved around this type of reporting. The difference was that his was a special segment and that, I do not have a problem with. I certainly wouldn't want an entire news cast full of consumer complaints.
Goose83
AG
quote:
Small time my butt! Marvin Zindler's entire career revolved around this type of reporting. The difference was that his was a special segment and that, I do not have a problem with. I certainly wouldn't want an entire news cast full of consumer complaints.
Marvin Zindler made his career on something slightly more substantial than just "Slime in the Ice Machine" reports.
Frio Cielo
quote:

I don't watch local news every day, but have entire news casts been filled with consumer complaints? If so, that's a little over kill.

I see nothing wrong with a couple of one minute news blurbs about consumer issues in town.

If I didn't have AC for two weeks in the middle of summer, I sure would be looking to complain to everyone that would listen.

Kitten With A Whip
quote:
quote:
Marvin Zindler made his career on something slightly more substantial than just "Slime in the Ice Machine" reports.
I didn't even mention that. Direct your response elsewhere.
Kitten With A Whip
quote:
quote:

I don't watch local news every day, but have entire news casts been filled with consumer complaints? If so, that's a little over kill.

I see nothing wrong with a couple of one minute news blurbs about consumer issues in town.

If I didn't have AC for two weeks in the middle of summer, I sure would be looking to complain to everyone that would listen.

That was my point.
duffelpud
AG
UmustBKidding
Because they read a post the guy made about things not being fixed on texags.
kraut
AG
quote:
Because they read a post the guy made about things not being fixed on texags.

This is probably more accurate than you intended it to be.
D_Wag97
AG
Yeah, this is such a tiny town. Hopefully someday we'll get a Dairy Queen..
ksp
Good thing there was no fires at a local restaurant to report about last night.

I seriously gave up on any news station years ago.

I have the KBTX app and all I need is the weather update that pushes automatically everyday to my phone.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
That begs the question: what do patrons of a local message board want from local news? Do you want crime? If it bleeds, does it lead? There is clearly some modicum of resident demand. What do you want to see from the very first place you visit as you sip your coffee in the morning?

Do you care if it's good news in your area you call home? Do you want to know only those things that make you feel like there is a criminal element in your community? What impact YOUR world?

What would make you say, regardless of the major/mid-major markets nearby, "This is what is truly news in Bryan-College Station."

And -- le sigh -- I have no dog in any local news fight. I'm just curious. But, I'm sure the critics will attack me. Bring it on.
FNG
Fonzie,

If I watched the news (I don't), I would be fine with leading the newscast with major international or national news. Otherwise, I want local. All of my news viewing is done in 5-10 minutes online. If I want national or international, I'll hit one of the major news sites.

My first concern is what is going on around my area.
Schrute Farms
Don't forget the reporting of every minor accident within city limits.
PS3D
quote:
That begs the question: what do patrons of a local message board want from local news? Do you want crime? If it bleeds, does it lead? There is clearly some modicum of resident demand. What do you want to see from the very first place you visit as you sip your coffee in the morning?

Do you care if it's good news in your area you call home? Do you want to know only those things that make you feel like there is a criminal element in your community? What impact YOUR world?

What would make you say, regardless of the major/mid-major markets nearby, "This is what is truly news in Bryan-College Station."

And -- le sigh -- I have no dog in any local news fight. I'm just curious. But, I'm sure the critics will attack me. Bring it on.
Excellent point. If you want "interesting" local news, watch the Houston local news. Car chases that end in with the suspect wading out in the Brazos River in boxer shorts, rapes, murders, fires, illegal dumping, floods, teachers acting inappropriately, and all that fun stuff.

"We got the bubble headed bleached blonde, comes on at five, she can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye. It's interesting when people die, give us dirty laundry".
Goose83
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I didn't even mention that. Direct your response elsewhere.
Whoa.

I ddin't necessary disagree with what you said, just that I would have chosen a different example than Marvin Zindler (e.g. John Stossel). Zindler got to do a lot of he did on Channel 13 because of the notoriety he gained from the Chicken Ranch Bust.
95_Aggie
AG
Be thankful that you don't live in a community where the first 15 minutes aren't stories about murder, rape, road rage, teachers sleeping with students, etc.

You can always watch Houston news if you are bored.
OnlyANobody
Since the time we lived in Houston (almost 20 years ago) we have always referred to one hospital as "Ben Taub, Where he Later Died". (A result of the news reporting)
doubledog
KBTX ...

I do hear some information I did not know.

For example, when it rains the water consumption in College Station/Bryan decreases.

Who would have thought ....

www.kbtx.com/content/news/Wet-August-impacting-local-utility-companies-390965302.html
Post removed:
by user
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
Fonzie,

If I watched the news (I don't), I would be fine with leading the newscast with major international or national news. Otherwise, I want local. All of my news viewing is done in 5-10 minutes online. If I want national or international, I'll hit one of the major news sites.

My first concern is what is going on around my area.

If you watched the news you'd notice that the national news is on at 5:30. The 5:00 news is intended to be state and local.
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
Be thankful that you don't live in a community where the first 15 minutes aren't stories about murder, rape, road rage, teachers sleeping with students, etc.

But even on slow news days, they cover the consumer type stories too.

Tex Aggie
AG
There are a ton of national and world stories that do not get reported on everyday

FlyRod
quote:
I have the KBTX app and all I need is the weather update that pushes automatically everyday to my phone.

Yup. No suffering through terrible commercials, or stories you don't want to hear. Easy-peasy, problem solved.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
There are a ton of national and world stories that do not get reported on everyday

this is true.

they ignore more important stuff on the national scene in favor of local stories that in the big picture of things really aren't that important i.e...landlord/tenant problems.
jja79
AG
National and international stories are reported by the networks. All the locals can do is replay those feeds.
Stupe
S
quote:
The fact that this is news is why I love living here.
Stupe
S
quote:

Or move there.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
The fact that this is news is why I love living here.
Amen. And the national news is well covered by the news networks. No need to rehash it on the local news.
halibut sinclair
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.