Looking for Retail Space

3,255 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by MisUnderstood
MisUnderstood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hello all, I'm looking for a retail space that's between 1200 - 1400 sq. ft. Fairly cheap and I don't mind doing some work if the space needs some fixin.

Bryan or College Station
originaltexan
Twin City Resale on Wellborn road is closed due to new development. New student housing I believe.

Anyway, I think they need retail space in College Station. So, benevolent benefactors....

Finding X
Fairly cheap = ?

I hear SW Pkwy Kroger is closing so that could be really cheap.
Culpepper around the back

Cheap often means no visibility and no traffic.
Scotch
AG
On Villa Maria next to Dollar General there are a few spaces, not sure of square footage.
nashvilleaggie11
Can you give us a range of what you are looking to spend? It's pretty horrible looking for space in the area...there's not a lot to choose from, everything is expensive and a lot of the spaces are old and disgusting.
AggieBaseball06
AG
I agree that you need to be a bit more specific. Is your business model based primarily on customers just driving by or will they be seeking you out no matter where you are? What sort of parking do you require? What are your hours of operation?
Capn Mac
A "five window" (storefront mullions are 5'-0" on center) lease ought to be easy, given how much vacant strip center space is standing vacant.

The problem with most of it is whether it's marketable spaces (good traffic, access,etc.) and just how much leverage is "on" the space--there are some spaces that need to be earning $5-6/sf, and are unlikely to ever get much north of $1.25/sf.

But, yes, the intended use is important to answer this question--a machine shop is very different than a retail frontage.

In addition, the Cities have pre-planned Uses by zoned region, so, you may need to select a given area, or have to stand for a Special Use Permit. A SUP is largely administrative forms, but, it's one more fee, and you said you wanted this to be inexpensive. Oh, and both Cities are going to charge you for the Sign Permit, too. CS is largely a "Shall Deny" sort of City, so you are likely going to wind up spending more on the sign than you presently want to.
threecatcorner
Someone earlier mentioned Kroger closing. It's closed now; boarded up and everything. I don't know what size space that is or what they charge. They recently redid that shopping center so all the stores have nice signs, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a cost involved in getting a nice visible sign.

In general, CS is very high. A lot of the landlords seem like they would rather have something sit empty and make no money at all than charge a reasonable price and have the place rented.

Did someone say Twin City Mission's resale shop got bumped due to more high end student housing? How much more of that can they build? It doesn't have to be everywhere.
MisUnderstood
Yes Twin City resale shop is moving into the Resale Den space. They got bumped too.
MisUnderstood
To clarify what I need. The landlord has given me a 20 day notice to vacate. This was last week so I only have less than 2 weeks. I'm looking for a 1250 - 1400 Sq ft store front to sell refinished and used furniture. Need visibility and on September 1st to move in or before.

Bryan or college station and some parking would be nice.
UmustBKidding
Now is your chance to escape College Station!
In CS space between Mentors & Makers and Culligan on 6 access road north of Rock Prairie, and think there may be a space in complex with SewVac.
Old night club spot in Woodstone, better foot traffic than above but likely more expensive.
Bryan, several spaces in the old college/south college area.

Post removed:
by user
Frio Cielo
It is amazing what the wide variance in commercial leases/SF is at the same location. I have seen rent rolls at some office parks that vary from less than $!/FT to more than $4/FT and not based on lease duration or total SF and some of the older leases are the most expensive.

This tells me that commercial lease rates are very competitive and very negotiable.

OneGood2011Ag
AG
quote:
It is amazing what the wide variance in commercial leases/SF is at the same location. I have seen rent rolls at some office parks that vary from less than $!/FT to more than $4/FT and not based on lease duration or total SF and some of the older leases are the most expensive.

This tells me that commercial lease rates are very competitive and very negotiable.

A few lease cost factors that might not be directly reflected on rent rolls include:

* Tenant improvement allowance or build-out costs of the space
* Amenities of the space (general office vs. medical with plumbing in every room)
* Signage or parking rights
* Higher than normal utility costs, if landlord pays the utility bill
* Whether janitorial services are provided to the space

Those may not account for 4X rent, but would explain part of it, with market conditions at lease signing and the landlord/tenant's negotiation skills making up the rest.
Frio Cielo
quote:
quote:

A few lease cost factors that might not be directly reflected on rent rolls include:

* Amenities of the space (general office vs. medical with plumbing in every room)

Those may not account for 4X rent, but would explain part of it, with market conditions at lease signing and the landlord/tenant's negotiation skills making up the rest.

Would not much of that be about the same cost at the same location?

The three locations I was referring to, your first factor would be about the only one that would vary significantly.
threecatcorner
Where is Resale Den?

Also, you mentioned 20 days notice. Are they not legally required to give you at least 30 days?
OneGood2011Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Would not much of that be about the same cost at the same location?

The three locations I was referring to, your first factor would be about the only one that would vary significantly.
Not necessarily, especially the tenant improvements. Tenant A might be able to take a space as-is except for some touch-up paint. The existing office layout is generally agreeable to them. However, Tenant B needs some walls taken down or moved around, new flooring, a private bathroom added, and some very specific improvements that might not be wanted by the next tenant.

Also, only some (1-2) tenants may get their names on the top of the building itself or may opt into covered parking spots. A tenant using x-ray machines may use more electricity than the accountant next door, and some tenants may opt for their own janitorial service versus using the building's.
MisUnderstood
Threecatcorner so sad that he only gave 2p day notice. Would have been nice to get 30. But he thinks he knows what he's doing. I just want to get the /// out as quick as possible. I don't like dealing with people who do the wrong thing especially at my expense. It's located next door to quality used furniture on South Harvey Mitchell Pkwy CS
LOYAL AG
AG
Have you looked at loopnet.com?

Loopnet CS results
MisUnderstood
Thanks to all of you for your help and input. I found a space which is tons better than where I was. Things happen for a reason.

What goes around comes around.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.