Most annoying/frustrating stop lights in B/CS

11,686 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Geralt of Rivia
AgsWin2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have always thought that the stop lights in B/CS have been terrible. It always seems like some locations stay red for too long and I always catch the same ones. For this reason I will post the ones I hate most (drive to and from work every day).

- Intersection at Fitch and Barron. I catch this light every freakin time heading west bound toward Wellborn Rd. I don't understand why it stays green so much longer for those traveling along Barron. I would understand before/after school but I usually come up to it at 6:30am and 5:30pm.

- 2818/Holleman and 2818/George Bush. Nothing really much to say other than the traffic is also horrible and stacks up on my commute home. Wish they would build an overpass, especially at 2818/Holleman.

Intersection at Fitch/Arrington. Lights stay red too long and the backup is always ridiculously long waiting for it to turn green, while the light that is green has nobody going through it.

Aren't the sensors on the lights supposed to detect traffic motion, or are they all on timers in B/CS?

What are your most hated stop lights in B/CS?
Post removed:
by user
taxpreparer
AG
University Drive and the entrance to whatever parking lot number that is. It seems to turn red, stopping University Drive for no reason. Probably a car came out of the parking lot and turned right, but the light shouldn't have changed for that.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
techno-ag
AG
Eventually they should all get mentioned.
iisanaggie
AG
Broadmoor and 29th
theycallmemrtibbs
The lights on Southwest Pkwy are infuriating. If you're traveling the length of the road, in either direction, it literally feels like they are intentionally programmed so you have to stop at every one. Including the two that are 50 yards apart.
PS3D
Fitch and 6. For some reason, they have not fixed the light pattern so those exiting the highway from the south and turning left to go northwest on 40 have to sit through not more than one light. The light will be red, you can turn left, and immediately have to come to another red light as your car sits at an awkward angle due to the road tilting downwards into the underpass.
LunitadelNox
Rock Prairie and Wellborn, when you're turning left to head towards Navasota.

Some idiot shaped the median like a T-bone steak, instead of a straight line, so it regularly gets backed up and then people are stuck waiting to turn left and then traffic gets backed up.

Happens to me every day on my morning commute.

Behold, my artistic rendition of this issue:

Tailgate88
AG
quote:

Some idiot shaped the median like a T-bone steak, instead of a straight line, so it regularly gets backed up and then people are stuck waiting to turn left and then traffic gets backed up.

Yup this one is terrible. The green arrow turns and four cars go through then the light stays green for another 15 seconds but no other cars can get by to get to it. Argh!
The Original AG 76
AG
GW Bush and that private apartment complex just west of the tracks ... Stopping a public major street for a damn glorified dorm without the use of sensors. We have to stop on Bush at the apartments even when there is NO cross traffic at all. No problem having a light to allow students and cars out WHEN NEEDED but this seems to be too complex for the CS traffic gods.
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:

Its just as useless from the other direction. Heading east on RP trying to turn right to head to Navasota is just is bad if TWO cars are going straight.
Possibly one of the worst designed intersections in Texas.
UmustBKidding
Not sure if to blame TXDOT or COCS but I am sure this was at the COCS's direction. But remember COCS is the world expert on medians. The know every type of pave stone available to reduce contrast in low light condition and planter block in order to inflect maximum damage to any encroaching vehicle. But traffic lanes, why would you want to know about those things.
My intersection is Holleman and 2154. With a train present you can't turn left because they lump the left turn with straight traffic. So traffic backup up all the way into the state streets. 20ft of asphalt or making it straight and right turn would allow left turns and emergency traffic needing to turn right could go through the park.

UmustBKidding
If they would move the protected left turn to the end of the light cycle instead of the beginning things would be far better, but NOOOOOOOOOO
UglyScientist
- Intersection at Fitch and Barron. I catch this light every freakin time heading west bound toward Wellborn Rd. I don't understand why it stays green so much longer for those traveling along Barron. I would understand before/after school but I usually come up to it at 6:30am and 5:30pm.

I ALWAYS get stopped at this light heading west and east. It makes me so irrationally angry every time. I hate this light with the fire of a thousand suns.
Oogway
quote:
Intersection at Fitch and Barron. I catch this light every freakin time heading west bound toward Wellborn Rd. I don't understand why it stays green so much longer for those traveling along Barron. I would understand before/after school but I usually come up to it at 6:30am and 5:30pm

For whatever reason, this double set of lights seems dangerous. I have witnessed drivers heading east and west on Barron running the light at a pretty good clip. Although I haven't witnessed drivers on Fitch doing likewise, it wouldn't take too many for it to get nasty given the speeds on those roads.

Family speculation has come up with:
1.sunshine making the westbound drivers somewhat blinded.
2. Grassy median maybe blocking longer sight views.
3. Speeding to make the lights not accommodating the space between the two lights east and westbound.

Or, my family is just imagining things. There are also two lights at Arrington and Fitch--has anyone else seen something similar at that intersection like the Barron/Fitch intersection?
Scruffy
AG
All of them.
PS3D
quote:

That is particularly bad for the current traffic situation, as it's way outmoded now. Remember, originally, the left hand turn lane was significantly longer before they widened Wellborn around 2010, and prior to 2006, there wasn't much reason to turn left unless you were going to Wellborn proper.
techno-ag
AG
quote:

Nice graphic. Similar situation at Texas & Holloman heading west on Holloman. Right hand turn lane has room for two cars maybe. Not unusual for traffic to stack up and those wanting to turn right be stuck for two or three cycles.
halibut sinclair
FlyRod
LunitadelNox
Alas, I am too young to remember that.

I couldn't drive back then. haha
w8liftr
Crossing 29th St at Carter Creek. That light is crazy fast (if you're 3rd in line, you have to wait until the next cycle- which will be sometime next week). And, as I just mentioned, if you are crossing 29th or turning left, you'll be there awhile.
SARATOGA
All of them ?
Scruffy
AG
quote:
All of them ?

Yes. All are poorly timed.
Goose83
AG
quote:
Crossing 29th St at Carter Creek. That light is crazy fast (if you're 3rd in line, you have to wait until the next cycle- which will be sometime next week). And, as I just mentioned, if you are crossing 29th or turning left, you'll be there awhile.
All the lights that intersect 29th Street in Bryan are screwed up.

Nothing more fun than sitting at a light for 5+ minutes at 10:00 PM with no traffic whatsoever coming down 29th Street because the traffic engineers are too busy to bother to program the timers for anything other than 5:00 PM rush hour traffic.
fcag
AG
quote:

That turn isn't as bad as it used to be. Before they did whatever they did to the timer/sensor... If someone pulled up too far, which happened all the time, the sensor would no longer register they were there and the light would never change. Even a car pulling up behind them wasn't enough to trigger it.
lightswitch
I feel your pain bro. Here was my solution...

LunitadelNox
hahaha I dig it!

I don't have the balls to ride a moped in this town though.
Bryanisbest
AG
All delays are just God's protection of you from something down the line. Rest and peace at the red lights.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
When I'm in the SUV, I drive on the median to get to the turn lane. Irritates the **** out of my wife, so I get a double bonus by doing it.

If I'm in the small car and need to turn left, I avoid the intersection.
bigh281
Then there's the south to northbound turnaround that goes under 6 at Fitch. Everyone trying to cut across like nobody's business
marrocco
Every light on Villa Maria/Briarcrest from the bypass to Wellborn that for some reason are all timed oddly when I leave for campus at 5am, such that they tend to stop me to allow the long lines of nonextant traffic a chance to proceed. Up until a couple of months ago they tended to be on timers, which only caused frustrations for me when they'd give me a red light so that the car approaching as cross-traffic could safely make that right turn on green.
malibu9in1
Sounds like more issues in cs than Bryan. Does anyone run lights? Like look both ways then go?
PS3D
The Bryan stoplights have really improved in the last past 5 or so years. When I went to Blinn, the Villa Maria/Briarcrest light was on a strict timer and had a cycle for every light, so often times I'd be sitting there at night as it turned green for the shopping center (which rarely had people anyway). Sometime around early 2011, it was fixed so that areas without traffic could be skipped. I think it brought down the congestion heading out of Blinn on Briarcrest by about a third.
OneGood2011Ag
AG
Life must be good in B/CS when our biggest gripe of the day is having to wait our turn for an extra couple of minutes to allow our fellow citizens get to where they are going.

Although, I don't feel that pain because I only have one or three lights between my home and office, depending on which office location I am going to. If you hate traffic lights as much as I dislike a long commute, maybe the solution is to live closer to work?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.