Found 2 kittens on Old Reliance near Messina Hoff

3,223 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BCStalk
Brewmaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Looking to rehome them to good homes...

there's no rehoming fee, but I do need a guarantee of a vet visit (something that i can confirm). Dr. Cargill is who we'd take them to (and charges $50 for a 1st visit, plus I believe another $50 for a round of tests, leukemia etc.)
The wife is very allergic to cats and we have 2 dogs, so keeping these guys would be quite tough!

As a pair they are great, or separate. The one in the top photo is very social and loves people (and I think is a girl). The one in bottom photo is more laid back and still a people kitty (I think is a boy, but very low confidence as its hard to tell at this point).

twelfthman01 at gmail
512.5six8. zero 33 seven
montegobay
Thank you for rescuing them!
meezermom
Kudos to you for rescuing these two and trying to find a good home for them. And thank you for NOT taking them to the shelter but working to ensure that they have a bright future!
BlazeHarper
Brewmaster
AG
kitty bump
AggieJason
AG
Talk to BCS Spay or Brazos Valley Pets Alive. They both have a rescue component and foster cats & kittens in a foster-to-adopt way. They can be found easily on Facebook.
momlaw
AG
They are so cute. Thank you for being their safe way station. Wish I could take them.
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
Talk to BCS Spay or Brazos Valley Pets Alive. They both have a rescue component and foster cats & kittens in a foster-to-adopt way. They can be found easily on Facebook.
thank you! messaged them both. and yes momlaw, they are super cute! someone told us they are "tuxedo" kitties - their coloration. They're both eating well and starting to play a lot!
rptsAg03
We recently had a kitty show up on our porch, I was so pleased with the folks at Chasing Tails- they came out and got kitty vaccinated, dewormed, flea treated and tested for feline leukemia all for about $100. With her clean bill of health, we were able to find her a good home within a week! I definitely recommend them if you end up needing to treat the kitties! They were so up front with pricing.
Eliminatus
AG
Damn. Just took in two cats last month fromBCS spay. Otherwise id be all over this. I love tuxedo cats!

BCS spay is a great group and hope they will be able to help you out.
AggieJason
AG
quote:
Damn. Just took in two cats last month fromBCS spay. Otherwise id be all over this. I love tuxedo cats!

BCS spay is a great group and hope they will be able to help you out.
That they are. I fostered for them for a few years until I got burned out. Great group of people.
Brewmaster
AG
thank y'all for the tips! I talked to BCS spay, but they could only help with the spay /neuter part... but the tuxedo kitties are on my social media outlets - I think that will be my best bet. We'll look into Chasing Tails too!

Aggieland Human Soc said they could take them, at least we have them as a fall back option.
meezermom
Please, please, please don't take them to Aggieland Humane Society... find someone you know will keep them until they are adopted!
Goose83
AG
You might try Long Way Home Adoptables if you don't have any luck yourself.
Brewmaster
AG
I didn't hear back from Long Way Home (like most of the others), probably means they are full up. meezer is that why you say don't give them to AHS?

I did find Brazos Valley Pet Rehoming and B/CS Pet Rehoming - both facebook groups. My wife is also posting on a vet school for sale board.

These kitties are all over the interwebs! We'll get them good homes soon.
meezermom
Unless I'm mistaken -- and I would love to be -- AHS is a kill facility, so if they aren't adopted (and it's very full this time of year) within about 10 days to two weeks, they don't stand a chance.

I would love to have more kitties and would love these two, but alas, we can't have any more at the moment ... our roster is full.

Have you tried Woodstock? I don't remember if it's Woodstock Animal Foundation or exactly its name, but we adopted a rescue cat from them about 10 years ago. It might be another avenue to check...
Brewmaster
AG
My wife called and talked to them and they said they don't euthanize to make space...not sure if true.

But we've decided to go the Chasing Tails route - hopefully Monday they'll have shots and be checked over.
Brewmaster
AG

weekend kitten photo

they're getting dewormed and shots Monday... and ready for a forever home!
Kitten With A Whip
You're gaining some really good karma here!!!
Brewmaster
AG
and hopefully a home for at least one of them!... the female now is cool with the dogs. Amazing...they don't mind her either, but very curious. The male didn't mind them much either.
Kitten With A Whip
I have added them to my social media sites, as well. Hopefully we can get these kitties a forever home really soon!
AggieJason
AG
quote:
AHS is a kill facility
No, they are not. They don't euthanize to make room.

Occasionally they'll end the suffering of a sick animal that has a small chance at a fruitful recovery. Perhaps that's what you're thinking of?
GunRangeGal
AG
quote:
quote:
AHS is a kill facility
No, they are not. They don't euthanize to make room.

Occasionally they'll end the suffering of a sick animal that has a small chance at a fruitful recovery. Perhaps that's what youere thinking of?

This this this... AHS is no kill as long as the animal is healthy and safe to adopt. My rescue came from them with a mangled leg (which they amputated) and heartworms... They gave him a second chance when other shelters would have deemed him a waste of resources.
DeckMe80
quote:
and hopefully a home for at least one of them!... the female now is cool with the dogs. Amazing...they don't mind her either, but very curious. The male didn't mind them much either.
BREwmaster, you are obviously a good person and an animal lover. Based on these comments, I believe you have found them a home. Don't split'em up, they will give you years of joy!
Stupe
S
When we adopted our dog almost two years ago, AHS had a three legged dog there and weren't going to euthanize him.
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
When we adopted our dog almost two years ago, AHS had three legged dog there and weren't going to euthanize him.
We adopted a pure bred german shepherd from AHS almost 2 years ago and he was heartworm positive and about 40 lbs underweight (he's a huge frame GSD, almost like a Dane/GSD mix). He was there for 6 months before he got transferred to a no kill (albeit rustic) place in the country outside Elgin - all of the dogs seemed very happy there though.

I had kept track of him and decided to pull the trigger. Long story short he is now heartworm free and went from a skeleton (but large frame) 60 lbs to almost 100 lbs. Mitch is his name... Dr. Cargill and his staff were amazed - he put on 30 lbs of good weight through heartworm treatment. Also, he was originally estimated to be 7 or 8 years old, but since his health has improved so much we find it hard to believe!

Here he is doing what he likes to do between barking at new house construction and checking on the kitties...the photo makes him look small, he is massive! When he barks it sounds like we have a lion in our back yard

the kitties "might" have a home, we should know by Monday. Thank you all for the help and the advice...if it doesn't work out I'm sure they'll have a home soon.
WildlifeAg02
Thanks to all that have clarified that Aggieland Humane is not a "kill" facility.

Yes, they do euthanize. They must. They contract with Brazos County and College Station- so when an injured animal is brought in by animal control that is beyond help- be it wildlife or domestic, it may be euthanized. Some wildlife may automatically be brought in for euthanasia.

However, as stated above, they would not kill for space. Also, if you bring them a stray, they will take it, every time. Emphasis on STRAY! Your own pet, that you want to find a new home for due to whatever reason? No, they may not immediately take it, as they need room for truly homeless animals.

A true "no-kill" shelter should also be noted as limited intake- they can and will tell you no.

Aggieland Humane, Bryan Animal Center, and the other rescues are all on the same team. Please be sure of facts before you label one of them, as we all know how far-reaching social media can be, and how very easily something may be taken out of context.
montegobay
AHS does not kill for space, but Bryan Animal Center does. Do whatever you can to never take an animal there. They do not have the resources to help sick or injured animals because they are simply overwhelmed with sheer numbers. We called Bryan Animal Control when we saw a dog hit by a car in Bryan. The officer came and told us the best bet was to take the dog to the vet school as a Good Samaritan. That way, they could quickly assess the dog and euthanize it if too severely injured. It was (broken back). He said if he took it to BAC, it would just sit there in a cage until someone got there Monday to assess and make a decision. So sad!!
Brewmaster
AG
Back up for adoption:

They are both boys! On Monday they were fixed and got their shots, tested for leukemia etc. They are very healthy and social. If we didn't have 2 dogs, we'd keep them in a heartbeat.

Bret

Brewmaster
AG
kitty bump, still up for adoption - They are fixed, have shots, dewormed - a clean bill of health!
Brewmaster
AG
Went to their furever home today! a family in south CS adopted them. They'll be outdoor/indoor kitties with a penchant for mice hunting along with some family time.

We're very happy! and they stayed together. The last couple days we had them they started running around the house chasing each other and even some wrestling - funny kitties!

Mods feel free to lock this or do what you do.
DeckMe80
A good job keeping them together! You have done a great service, for the kitties and the new owners.
BCStalk
Very cool. Always good to hear a good ending. We found both of our dogs abandoned and we couldn't find homes for them. 7 years later they are family. Even better that they will stay together.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.