College Station is in need of family entertainment right now.

7,148 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Frio Cielo
BrandoC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If someone opened up a outdoor put-put, golf carts, and bumber boats place, they would be making a killing.
Post removed:
by user
malibu9in1
That was 20 years ago. Think it would survive now??
jac4
AG
I remember hearing about 1-2 trampoline places. Anyone know when/if those are going to open?
Counterpoint
AG
One is definitely opening in the old Village Foods. (Don't know when though)
One Louder
AG
There's Grand Station, ice skating, parks, pools, movie theaters and painting places as well.
Carnwellag2
quote:
If someone opened up a outdoor put-put, golf carts, and bumber boats place, they would be making a killing.
The economics don't work for them
BCStalk
I just want a water park. I don't know if anyone noticed but it's kinda hot outside and a lazy river would be awesome.
BrandoC
AG
Sorry but Grand Station, just my opinion, is always packed and all it has is bowling. The put-put and little mini arcade are pretty bad.
aggiepaintrain
AG
don't bother going to the place in Brenham either.

where was the go cart track here?
kyledr04
AG
Indoor go karts and bounce houses would great.
jja79
AG
Sounds like a few of you should raise some capital, open some of these and make a killing.

BCS has much better entertainment options than most communities this size with high level collegiate sports, the Bombers, etc.
PS3D
quote:
don't bother going to the place in Brenham either.

where was the go cart track here?
There was a go-kart track at Holleman and Highway 6 (later torn down for Wolfe Nursery, now Cavender's) and also at Pooh's Park

quote:
quote:
The economics don't work for them

They seem to work at least for Horseshoe Junction, which opened sometime in the last decade (not like the old places we had here)
BrandoC
AG
I didn't work out when there was 65-70,000 people living in College Station, but its damn near doubled that now. At least in the next 4-5 years it will have.
jrhmc
AG
If you just cater to children, it won't work here. You have to have something that will bring in college kids, teens, kids, and adults. The Bounce and my place, My Backyard, both found that out the hard way and the demographics haven't changed that much. People are just not willing to pay what it takes to keep those places open. To be fair, indoor play and party places and indoor bounce places haven't stayed open in bigger markets either. It's sounds like a fabulous idea and believe me, I know that people with small children want them. They're just not willing to pay for them on a regular basis that allows the businesses to stay open. A go kart track kind of place might work here if you could offer the good kinds of carts but I've only seen those in Vegas.
TAMU1990
AG
I think a top golf would do good here
eloc62
go kart track is really the thing we are missing here. who doesn't love go karts? every time we travel to a new place, if they have a good go kart track, we go there, and it is always crowded.
australopithecus robustus
BCS is nowhere near big enough for a top golf.
Counterpoint
AG
quote:
BCS is nowhere near big enough for a top golf.
Why? I'm not questioning it at all...just curious why.
Kitten With A Whip
Out of curiosity, does anyone know, first hand, how long was Pooh's Park open?
jja79
AG
Houston metro has 6 million people and 3 Top Golf locations.
Frio Cielo
quote:
Houston metro has 6 million people and 3 Top DGolf locations.

I don't know a thing about Top Golf, but perhaps Houston could have a dozen or so more?

The State of Texas used to only have one Subway, on Southwest Parkway here in College Station, but there are many more now in Texas.

rhoswen
AG
Dave & Busters or a Main Event would be awesome.
AgFan1999
AG
I could see a Main Event.
halibut sinclair
Even Gattiland shut down here after trying 2 locations.
PS3D
quote:
Gattitown actually closed a lot of locations relatively recently, including Sugar Land.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gattitown+closed+yelp&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
halibut sinclair
quote:
quote:
Gattitown actually closed a lot of locations relatively recently, including Sugar Land.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gattitown+closed+yelp&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Ok?
jrhmc
AG
quote:
I'm pretty sure that was more management and not lack of clientele. We stopped going there just because the machines were always broken and it's was dirty. Otherwise there would have been many more birthday parties and team end of season celebrations there. Dave and Busters would rock it here.
Post removed:
by user
jja79
AG
quote:
quote:

I don't know a thing about Top Golf, but perhaps Houston could have a dozen or so more?

The State of Texas used to only have one Subway, on Southwest Parkway here in College Station, but there are many more now in Texas.

Top Golf is only in metro areas with at least one of a major league baseball team, NBA team or NFL team. A sandwich shop isn't really a good comparison.
taxpreparer
AG
I seem to remember Pooh's Park opening in the early 70s and closing sometime in the mid-80s.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
rhoswen
AG
And the thing about places like Gattiland is that they won't attract students, too. Places like Top Golf & Main Event would attract both demographics, which sounds like the key to being successful.
kraut
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Top Golf is only in metro areas with at least one of a major league baseball team, NBA team or NFL team. A sandwich shop isn't really a good comparison.
Which one of those are in Austin?
jja79
AG
Good catch. Austin MSA is over 2 million. BCS MSA is under 250,000. I think you get the point.
PS3D
Expectation: Affordable family entertainment brings something fun to do, attracts families, makes money, and brings a lot of good to the community

Reality: Affordable family entertainment turns into basically cheap daycare for lousy parents and their unruly kids, starts to get run down, paying crowds disappear, no one surprised when it closes
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.