Smelly AC after power outage?

2,251 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by armymom
GunRangeGal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Help!

My street lost power for a little over 4 hours (thanks CS utilities) last night and now my AC smells. I actually blamed it on the dog at first and gave her a bath!

Any recommendations on how to remedy this? I'm about to do a big kitchen remodel and don't want to spend money on an AC guy coming out, if I can help it.

Has any experienced this after a short outage? I would have expected this kind of smell if the AC had been off for days, not hours.
AC Hopper
S
Please describe what it smelled like and perhaps we will be better able to help you.
GunRangeGal
AG
A pretty rotten mildew smell... With a side of wet dog smell. My house is a pleasure to visit right now!
AC Hopper
S
Sounds like (smells like?) you have a leak.
LightningDammitt
AG
Hmmm....

Absolutely crazy guess here....

Could be that the indoor coil had an accumulation of ice prior to the power outage. During the power outage, the ice melted, and somehow overflowed somewhere due to a slow/clogged condensation line...

Is your indoor unit in the attic?
armymom
You must live in Wood Creek! My electricity wasn't out but heard the transform blow 3 times last night! Agreed that it may have been a clogged drain. My lakehouse a/c will smell like that after a heavy rain that I think water seeps into it somehow. The smell eventually "burns" off but it might be best to call in a service to check it out if it is really bad!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.