Suddenlink or DirecTV for cable?

2,371 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Charli
WanderlustAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've had Suddenlink internet and DirecTV cable over the last year. About to make a move across town so we're setting up a new contract and just realized if we just go with Suddenlink instead of DirecTV, and bundle internet and cable, we'll save about $50 per month....and it appears we'll get about the same channels. We currently have the Choice package. Any recent experiences with Suddenlink for TV? Do you miss out on any channels or service?

Or if anybody knows how to be able to stream live sports and the small handful of channels we care about without cable, I'm open to looking into that possibility.
Law361
AG
Buy an antenna and a roku. Pay $20 for slingtv to cover your sports. Best decision we ever made.
WanderlustAg
AG
Thanks, Law361. Okay, here's the deal. I'm just learning what Roku and sling box are/how they work.

My husband wants to be sure he can watch Aggie/SEC sports, college football games, NFL games, NCAA tournament and EPL soccer games. Do you have any trouble streaming those? Do you have an option to record any of these or do you have to catch everything live?

I want to be able to pick up CNN, Fox News and HGTV.
James Russell
AG
I would look into PSvue. It looks to have a better lineup compared to sling, IMO. Vue also recently announced the addition of NFL Network and Red Zone.

Regardless of which streaming provider you try/go with, I would highly recommend upgrading to at least the 200/20 Suddenlink internet speed. That way, you can stream programming to your hearts' content without worry of exceeding a cap.
Law361
AG
You can't record anything. That's the one drawback. I only watch sports on the ESPN family of channels, so I don't know about EPL or any of the other options you may have to watch it. If you buy an antenna, you can watch NFL games on FOX, CBS, and NBC.
jrhmc
AG
The PSVUE subscription has a recording feature. If you want to record Netflix or pretty much any other streaming channel, you can buy a membership to PlayOn.tv for $29.99 per year or $39.99 lifetime until July 31 (I think it goes back up to $49.99 at that point) and you can then stream your recordings to any tv or device or save them to a harddrive to take with you anywhere. We would have gone with a combination of PSVUE, Netflix, and Prime earlier this year if DirecTV hadn't dropped our price to a ridiculous level. I'll still probably switch over when our contract is out next April.
Charli

We have Roku and SlingTV. Overall pleased with it. We do miss FoxNews - not on SlingTV contract but maybe with Roger Ailes gone that will change. We bought the SEC package through SlingTV. Have no idea about NFL or other professional sports packages. Added Netflix and Amazon tot he Roku package. We had HULU for a while but no one watched it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.