Rehoming a dog

3,413 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Kitten With A Whip
Aggiesurfer17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy im looking into rehoming my dog before i move and i was wondering if anyone had any advice. I checked with aggieland humane society and they said the wait is 3-6 months. Anyone know of a good way so i know shes going to a good home?

[Posters that have helpful information are welcome on this thread. Poster that just want to give their opinion on this poster's decision need to stay off of this thread. There is the warning. -Staff]
bionat80
contact www.mylongwayhome.org
montegobay
Your best bet is some of the rehoming pages on social media. Charge a small fee. I can guarantee all of the local rescues are full.
JessicaShefty
What breed? I would not rule out contacting rescues as many do take owner surrenders.
aggies_2001
AG
I'm looking for a playmate for my German sheppard puppy. What kind of dog and how old?
Aggiesurfer17
She actually was raised playing with a German Shepard and she plays very well. She will be 2 in September, I was told she was a st bernard/great pyrenees mix but I dont think its true since she is only about 50 pounds and has stopped growing.
momlaw
AG
Would you please send me some photos? Email address in profile, click on my username.
Aggiesurfer17
I clicked on your username but cant seem to find your email address.
dubi
AG
quote:
I clicked on your username but cant seem to find your email address.
Use a real computer. Email addresses don't show up on mobile devices.
momlaw
AG
Sorry, you are right. Don't know how that changed.

momlaw76 at gmail
momlaw
AG
Received the photos. She is a beauty, wish we had a place for her. I will try to get photos up tomorrow along with thoughts. I suspect she is part Anatolian Shepherd, which is a wonderful breed with fabulous traits. Mine is 13 years old, which in giant dog (she is 100+ #s) is pushing 130 in human years. She is Queen Mum and quite the personality even at advanced age.
dubi
AG
quote:
Sorry, you are right. Don't know how that changed.

momlaw76 at gmail
One of the Texags upgrades broke the email viewing on mobile devices many months ago.

FYI, add email to "job" in your profile and it will be viewable on mobile.

momlaw
AG
Thanks.
gigem1215
AG
A few tips--
- Charge a rehoming fee (as already mentioned)
- Check vet records for other pets of potential owners. Make certain their other pets are up to date on shots, given heartworm medications, see a vet regularly, etc.
- Do a home visit, if you're comfortable
- Get a copy of the ID and multiple contact numbers/emails for the potential adopter. Tell them you will check up on the dog and see how it's going.
-There are many people looking for a wonderful family pet and will give them a terrific home. Unfortunately, there are people that are looking for cheap/free dogs to do harm to them. They may be looking for bait dogs for fighting or dogs to be sold for lab testing (I recently saw a post from a person willing to pay $50 for dogs (they even asked for people to direct them to strays) and they were very upfront that they were selling them to a lab for testing). Check into any potential owners. If they want to give your dog a good home, they will be willing to answer your questions and give you the info you ask for to make sure it will be a good home.
Aggiesurfer17
Thanks for the tips I really appreciate it, my biggest fear is her going to a bad home which is why I insist on a family.
OnlyANobody
Sorry for taking so long to get these pics posted! Here's the sweet girl:

Swarely
quote:
Your best bet is some of the rehoming pages on social media. Charge a small fee. I can guarantee all of the local rescues are full.

Why the fee if I may ask? Honest question.
Kitten With A Whip
quote:
quote:

Why the fee if I may ask? Honest question.
To reduce the possibility of her ending up being a bait dog for some back yard pit-bull training organization and to assure it goes to a good home. Some folks have also been known to collect free and stray dogs to sell to research companies. People tend not to put much value into that which is free.
jac4
AG
How about the Stevenson Center? She could hang out with most recently retired Rev.

http://vetmed.tamu.edu/stevenson-center
Aggiesurfer17
Thanks for the concerns, I didn't not want to rehome her because she has been with me the past two years and is obviously family to me. At the time things in my personal life were not looking good and it seemed as if the best thing to do would be to find a family who could give her the deserved attention, I was not trying to take the easy way out of owning a pet. Fortunately I have worked it out and will be keeping her with me. See y'all at the dog park!
momlaw
AG
Outstanding news. She is a beauty and I'll bet is extremely attached to you. That is LSD breeds' purpose in life, know you, love you, make you behave.
Kitten With A Whip
I'm so happy to hear you'll be able to keep your pup! Best wishes to both of you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.