Playing fields at Veterans Park closed

5,498 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by pudge
veritas47
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why is there a sign threatening to fine taxpayers $200 for using the fields at Veterans Park despite the fact their tax dollars paid for it? Its fine for out of town people to come in and pay the COCS to rent them but citizens cannot use the property their taxes pay for?

This is flat out wrong. If it's going to be a rental no ly facility, it shouldn't be part of COCS parks. It should be a PRIVATE, for profit rental facility paid for by the land owner for his/her benefit/profit.
redd38
AG
Just call 979-764-3486 to reserve a field. Yeesh.
Max06
AG
Maybe they've applied a potentially harmful fertilizer or something? You know, to MAINTAIN, those fields that you spend your tax dollars on?
Cancelled
AG
Because this really addresses OP's concern.
redd38
AG
quote:
Because this really addresses OP's concern.
Well the OP's concern is that they don't understand how taxes work. I'm not sure I can address that in just one post.
Chazz03
AG
quote:
The project meets the Tax Code requirements for the use of HOT funds -- every expenditure must directly enhance and promote tourism and the convention and hotel industry, and it fits into one of 10 statutorily provided categories for the expenditure of local hotel occupancy tax revenues. Tax dollars equal to the amount spent have to be raised in a five-year period upon project completion, and the revenue has to be related directly to the sporting events or tournaments at the improved fields or facilities.
It has to do with the funding being from the HOT so technically it's not funded by your tax dollars.
cajunken
College Station Parks and Rec has a website which shows the status of all public fields on a daily basis. Based on my experience as a little league coach, the fields are closed when they could be damaged based on conditions (too wet, ongoing maintenance, etc.). Could be the grass is stressed from the heat and drought.
College Station Parks Field Status
aggiepaintrain
AG
Club Soccer clubs (from out of town) reserve the fields for a small fee. Then charges our community families a crazy fee to play with their club, thousands of dollars per year per kid.

Got to love Capitalism!
TexasAggie_02
AG
admit it, there was a pokemon out on the field that you couldn't get to
Oogway
Like the poster above noted, there are a variety of reasons for field closure, especially at Veterans where the fields are groomed. Wet conditions due to rain/irrigation, drought, fertilizer application, etc have all been instances that I have personally observed. Having played on fields (and now my children play) in much worse condition I must say I appreciate the care the fields are given. It can reduce injuries and make for a better game. I must say I have found the parks department personnel responsive when I have dealt with them in the past and you may find that if there is a specific need you have (i.e. Soccer goals for practicing, baseball backstops if you can't use the fields at Bachmann) they will be happy to direct you to parks where these are available albeit on fields that are mowed but not necessarily as nice. Or you can check out the city website where a list of parks and their amenities is available.

Veterans is certainly a showcase park, and if the number of tournaments and other pay-to-play sports booking the fields are any indication, it is a nice way to fill the city with out of town guests and the park with users who can see what a friendly community we live in.
I am sorry you were inconvenienced by the closure, but maybe try one of the other parks. We have a lot of nice ones and it is one of the many reasons my family enjoys making our home here.

agnerd
AG
quote:
College Station Parks and Rec has a website which shows the status of all public fields on a daily basis. Based on my experience as a little league coach, the fields are closed when they could be damaged based on conditions (too wet, ongoing maintenance, etc.). Could be the grass is stressed from the heat and drought.
College Station Parks Field Status

Seems like adding a reason to that website could help with the confusion. For instance, right now it says every single soccer field in the City is closed. Is there a tournament? Fertilizer application? Aeration? Guessing that a little more transparency would probably be appreciated by the OP.
AggieJason
AG

quote:
Why is there a sign threatening to fine taxpayers $200 for using the fields at Veterans Park despite the fact their tax dollars paid for it? Its fine for out of town people to come in and pay the COCS to rent them but citizens cannot use the property their taxes pay for?

This is flat out wrong. If it's going to be a rental no ly facility, it shouldn't be part of COCS parks. It should be a PRIVATE, for profit rental facility paid for by the land owner for his/her benefit/profit.

Have you, you know, called CoCS to talk to them about this before raging on an internet message forum?
PebbleCreekster
Citizens are using it.........I saw about 50 kids hunting Pokmon out there last week!!!
Carnwellag2
quote:
Club Soccer clubs (from out of town) reserve the fields for a small fee. Then charges our community families a crazy fee to play with their club, thousands of dollars per year per kid.

Got to love Capitalism!

Huh
befitter
CS is known for having some of the best parks and playing fields around. They have always in the 22 years I've lived here kept up with the fields beautifully and have also always had those signs out. Why? So the fields don't get torn up when they are too wet or under maintenance and so all the club teams and city teams can use them by reservation. The city manages these fields well and always have.
FlyRod
People here will hate on guvmint even when it does something right!
redd38
AG
Something I learned from Pokemon Go is that we have some fantastic parks. I've been to several of them before but never explored all the trails like I have over the last two weeks. Great job College Station Leslie Knope.
techno-ag
AG

And the sign says "Long-haired freaky people need not apply"
So I put my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
He said you look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do
So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that, huh, me working for you"

(Chorus)
Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs
Messin' up the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign

And the sign says "Anybody caught trespassing will be shot on sight"
So I jumped the fence and I yelled at the house
Hey! What gives you the right!
To put up a fence and keep me out, or to keep Mother Nature in
If God was here, he'd tell it to your face, man, you're some kind of sinner

(Chorus)
veritas47
So the parks exist for the benefit of the out of town based club teams? In the Dallas area, clubs have their own fields and the citizens are free to use the public parks for their recreation. Yes, they may get closed every once in a while for maintenance but their existence isn't primarily for rental revenue.
Chazz03
AG
Again it depends on the type of park (neighborhood, regional,etc) and how they are funded that determines the use
taxpreparer
AG
The athletic fields at Veterans, Central and Bee Creek parks are used regularly by locals for league play. That includes softball and soccer. There are also softball fields at Lemon Tree and Luther Jones parks that are usually available for use. At this very moment, these last two softball fields are open and available while the Veteran and Central Park fields are being used for a national ASA, Class A tournament. When the fields are closed, it is usually because of bad conditions (too wet,) maintenance, or preparing for a big event (like a national tournament.)

I used to coach a girls softball team and it can be frustrating trying to find an open field to practice on without paying the reservation fee; but, that's the way the old ball bounces.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
redd38
AG
quote:
So the parks exist for the benefit of the out of town based club teams? In the Dallas area, clubs have their own fields and the citizens are free to use the public parks for their recreation. Yes, they may get closed every once in a while for maintenance but their existence isn't primarily for rental revenue.
I'm a citizen of B/CS and I use the fields at Veteran's Park frequently.
befitter
No, the parks exist for everyone but they do schedule teams for practices and have the fields reserved for city team sports and club sports and whomever wish to use them. The sign is there to protect the fields as many others of noted on this thread. My son has played a pick up game of football on the Bachman fields after school all last school year waiting to be picked up with no issues. The city isn't restricting people from using the parks, they are trying to protect an expensive investment from being destroyed when the fields are unplayable.
ksp
Guys, Guys , Guys.....The OP isn't concerned with your logic and exact scientific reasoning that make complete sense. Please do not bust her fantasy world bubble. It is only going to confuse her and make her more angry.
DontBeTriggered
I trounce all over the fields all the time and nobody's given af.... I just take my ball and practice on an open field. If a team comes out to use it, I typically move. I usually go before 5pm though.

pudge
Speaking about the ASA 16u national championships, why didn't the COCS use either of the CSISD and BISD fields to play the trophy games?

I begged COCS rec department a few years ago the last time the 16U nationals were in CS to use Consol's field for the trophy games. The field was in excellent shape, but they didn't want it. So I let teams from all over the country come over and practice for free and kept it ready for them. Those teams all said they would rather play on our field and appreciated the chance to get in a workout in good conditions.

I always thought it was funny that TAMU always sent softball teams in the regionals our way when they were hosting and our field was good enough for them. Syracuse, Arizona, LSU, were among several that practiced at our field.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.