San Antonio to CS on 21

1,734 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by dave99ag
Jetty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is hwy 21 back open between San Marcos and Bastrop?

I know there are alternate routes but I specifically need to know if 21 is open. I have googled and looked at maps and it appears it is open but wanna make sure. We have lots of relatives coming next weekend and would like to avoid confusion.

Thanks!
Tailgate88
AG
When was it closed? During the flooding? It was open on July 2, I came that way from SA.
Muzzleblast
Back open.
BlueMiles
AG
Try drivetexas.org to see where closures & construction are.
cslifer
Went down it last week, it was open but lots of construction, down to one lane in places with major delays.
superunknown
AG
Taking 35 to 45/130 to 21 is worth the $2 in tolls to avoid that stretch of 21. That stretch of 21 between San Marcos and Bastrop is awful anyway and you can cut it in half with the toll detour.
Jetty
AG
Thanks for the replies!
Builder93
AG
quote:
Taking 35 to 45/130 to 21 is worth the $2 in tolls to avoid that stretch of 21. That stretch of 21 between San Marcos and Bastrop is awful anyway and you can cut it in half with the toll detour.

I've done that trip 3 times in the last month and it never cut the time in half. If anything, it took longer.
techno-ag
AG
Agreed. I stay on 21 then cut over early to I35.
superunknown
AG
Meant it cut in half how long you have to be on 21 between SM and Bastrop.
Builder93
AG
That is a loooonnong detour to stay off of 21.
superunknown
AG
Google maps says it's a 6 mile difference. 48 via 21 only vs 54 miles via 45/130. I'll take the 6 miles to not get stuck behind some beat up junker pulling a trailer full of my time at 45mph.
malibu9in1
Quicker to stay on 21 to 35 no doubt.
montegobay
We've gone that direction several times lately and take 130/45 every time. Less traffic, speed limit 85(80 in some spots) and puts you out in Buda, missing all that mess on 21 in SM or taking that curvy and slow 2001. We will go this way from now on.
dave99ag
AG
quote:
Google maps says it's a 6 mile difference. 48 via 21 only vs 54 miles via 45/130. I'll take the 6 miles to not get stuck behind some beat up junker pulling a trailer full of my time at 45mph.

This! I've been taking 21 for 20 years and am quite happy avoiding that remaining stretch of 21.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Took 21 to San Marcos for twenty years, but ever since I discovered 304 in Bastrop to I10, I'll never go that way again. I may pass a half dozen cars on that entire stretch.
dave99ag
AG
That's a good route if you're not headed to the northwest side of SA, ie. Boerne for me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.