Any rose experts on here?

1,093 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by nonag97
AgTruth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I only buy disease resistant roses anymore (antique, drift, knockout) - but each summer they all get the dreaded black spot/ yellow leave and suffer greatly (drop leaves, thin out, blooms are dwarfed to none and some even die).

I spray every 2 weeks - have tried all the major spray products, none seem to help.

I have lived here 3 years and each year is a struggle. I notice roses around town look similar. Is this just the norm for roses in our hot/humid area?
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Gosh I hate roses. Too much work. Removing the antique we had in the flower beds when we bought the house was crazy tough but well worth it imho.
studioone
"Is this just the norm for roses in our hot/humid area?"

yup...
LunitadelNox
You can spray weekly with Bayer 3-in-1 for best results, but it's terrible for the environment (especially bees).

I usually spray monthly with Bayer 3-in-1 in the spring to early summer, and then let them go in the summer. I give my remontant roses a nice clean-up and fertilization in late August for a final round of blooms.

I also mulch , deadhead, and religiously remove any old leaves that can harbor the dreaded black spot throughout the year. I have all my roses planted in areas that good air circulation, but I still get black spot here and there.

It's just the way things are.

AgTruth
AG
Thank you for your responses.

They do so well in the spring and fall. I hate to see them suffer in thr summer.
FlyRod
You might try spraying with a Neem Based fungicide....have had good luck with those. But summers are tough on all roses here; its normal for them to look like crap and perk up come fall.
nonag97
I'm no rose expert but I've tended to my fair share. From experience, the key is keeping the plants healthy. That includes providing the right amount of rose fertilizer at regular intervals. This seems to drastically reduce the occurrence of black spot. You'll still get it though. Once you start to see it you gotta get those leaves off asap. And you have to remove them from anywhere near the plant, like into the trash bin. If you're going to leave them on the ground below the plant you might as well leave them on the plant. It's a labor a love! Good luck!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.