SIAP: Food truck festival

3,270 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mason12
biobioprof
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Today at the Expo Center
quote:
The event is the first of its kind in town and combines shopping with cuisine, as it will feature more than 15 food trucks and 100 vendor booths.
AggieJason
AG
Well this was fantastically advertised -- absolutely nowhere.
malibu9in1
Right?? Never heard a damn thing. Gonna have to add a few pounds today I guess
BCStalk
First I've heard of it. Sure will stop by though
RepublicBrand
AG
Wish we knew about it...we would be there. We are at a show way down in McAllen this weekend. Would have been nicer to stay at home!
Sponsor Message | Republic Brand. The Texas Lifestyle Company. Made in Aggieland by Aggies. |
RepublicBrand
AG
Though I know Tai from Veritas, Madden's and Paolo's is there because I saw his FB post this am. Go see what he has yummy to eat!
halibut sinclair

halibut sinclair
quote:
Looks like there was an article in the Eagle on Thursday. I saw ads on Facebook and heard some radio ads.

IBF the negative nellies who say they don't "consume local media".
RepublicBrand
AG
It appears to be mostly food! Enjoy you all! Take your Tums!
deh40
AG
It was actually maybe 10 food trucks and 30-40 vendor booths.
FlyRod
Did anyone FTR the event?
Goose83
AG
Not much to get excited about (especially considering the $5.00 parking fee to get in). Not nearly as many food trucks as I thought there would be.

Once again, Chef Tai runs out of food early (thanks again for nothing). That'd be okay if we could get his food any other time, but since most of us aren't blessed enough to work or take classes on the big campus, we're out of luck yet again.

They did have a truck from Houston selling Jamaican jerk chicken that was really good (Road Bird). Unfortunately the organizers didn't provide for a tented area outside to eat your food, so you had to take it back inside the pavilion if you didn't want to get heatstroke.

As for the vendors, the usual faux antique bric-a-brac and plexus dealers you see at these these kind of things, so nothing really to get excited about in that regard, either.

pattybrhg
Glad I went late enough to not pay for parking. It may have been great earlier but there's not much left out there for something slated to last two more hours. Fun idea though.
AggiePlaya
AG
More like 6 food trucks if you exclude the snow cone trucks!
grateful
The show sponsor made an announcement during the show, about 10:15-10:30, that the majority of the food trucks were stuck in the construction traffic on 290 and the beltway. I thought we would have more of a local presence of food trucks. Wasn't thinking they would be coming in from the Houston area. Oh well.
FlyRod
The funny thing is, the Yelp King seems to think we have around 40 local food trucks in BCS (not kidding about the number), yet we imported some from Houston? Hmmmm...
Goose83
AG
I was surprised at the lack of local food trucks as well. The out of town trucks are nice addition, as they provide something that you normally wouldn't experience, but the almost total lack of local participation does puzzle me.
BCStalk
Ya we saw the five dollar parking and lack of food trucks so we just turned around. I would never in my life pay for parking to eat at a truck.
mgreen
The fee for the food trucks was only $50 to participate. Where were the other local trucks today besides Chef Tai? I went at 1:30 and there were lines at every truck. Guess the others do not need money.

Lets not knock the one local restaurant tto show up.
Goose83
AG
quote:
The fee for the food trucks was only $50 to participate. Where were the other local trucks today besides Chef Tai? I went at 1:30 and there were lines at every truck. Guess the others do not need money.

Lets not knock the one local restaurant to show up.
I'm not sure a lot of people consider Chef Tai local anymore, because most locals can't get to his trucks without going to a lot of trouble these days (especially after having supported those trucks for all those years).

Also, there's not much point in having an event that lasts until 6:00 PM if the vendors are only going to bring enough food to barely last much past 1:00 PM.

Additionally, it's one thing for an out of town truck to run out of food and leave early for home, quite another for a local truck to do so.
ShinerBlonde
AG
Didn't even hear about this. Was wondering why they didn't have any food trucks in Downtown Bryan with the Craft Beer thing going on.
Jetty
AG
We arrived at 3:30. 2 snow cone trucks and 3 food trucks were still there. Walked through the vendors for 5 min and left. Pretty disappointing.
MarineBQ04
AG
There were two other local food trucks there. The BBQ truck in the big yellow trailer was local. Their name is Big EZ. They set up in Bryan off of 21. They were pretty good and their prices are right in line if not a little cheaper than most of the restaurants. Definitely way better than Rudy's and C&J's.

Surf's Up Shaved Ice was the teal shaved ice trailer and they are local as well.
AggieJason
AG
quote:
quote:
Looks like there was an article in the Eagle on Thursday. I saw ads on Facebook and heard some radio ads.

IBF the negative nellies who say they don't "consume local media".
Well, I mean, it's true. I certainly don't read that s**t-stain that passes for a local newspaper.

quote:
We arrived at 3:30. 2 snow cone trucks and 3 food trucks were still there. Walked through the vendors for 5 min and left. Pretty disappointing.
This certainly makes me glad I elected to make a pork roast and drink beer at home instead.
Goose83
AG
Wonder if this was sponsored by the same people who put on the ill-fated Cajun Fest last year (noticed that they didn't even bother to try putting on a second one this year).

I do wonder about just who is putting on all these festivals around here, as none of them ever really seem to ever quite come together like they should (IMHO). After all, everyone remembers how Texas Reds was driven into the ground by those who kept insisting on holding it in the 100 degree heat of summer year after year.

Of course, then again, it maybe my luck that I only end up going to the local festivals that don't work.
FlyRod
The craft beer fest in downtown Bryan was pretty well attended despite the blistering heat.
ShinerBlonde
AG
The craft beer festival worked pretty well and I didn't see it advertised either. Heard about it on a friend's fb page. Other than walking from place to place all over downtown in the heat of the day we thoroughly enjoyed getting to see all the stores and places participating and trying all the beers. Would do it again.
AggieJason
AG
quote:
The craft beer fest in downtown Bryan was pretty well attended despite the blistering heat.
Legit question - how do y'all find out about stuff like this?

Worth mentioning: I don't watch local TV, read the paper, watch/listen to the news, Tweet, Snapchat, or Insta-whatever. Is that my problem?
FlyRod
In this case, Facebook and word of mouth.
halibut sinclair
quote:

Worth mentioning: I don't watch local TV, read the paper, watch/listen to the news, Tweet, Snapchat, or Insta-whatever. Is that my problem?
Why do you even live here if you have no interest in local happenings?
malibu9in1
quote:
quote:

Why do you even live here if you have no interest in local happenings?

Right? If you don't do any of that how could you say it wasn't fantastically advertised? What would one use to get info?
LocalAg96
AG
As someone who does have to advertise to get the word out about things/functions, I too would like to know from all of those who don't FB/Tweet/ read the Eagle/ or listen to KBTX/ etc/etc how do YOU think these things should be advertised?
texasaggie04
AG
quote:
Also, there's not much point in having an event that lasts until 6:00 PM if the vendors are only going to bring enough food to barely last much past 1:00 PM.

To be fair to the vendors, they probably also expected another 30 trucks to show up. If all the trucks were there that were advertised, they would have probably had the right amount of food. Sounds like any issues were on the organizers.
deh40
AG
Organizers definitely over-advertised for what they delivered on booths and food trucks. They claimed over 100 booths when there were probably less than half that many.
motherrunnersBCS
How to get local info?

1. The Eagle, by reading the paper every morning. The main reason I continue to read it is because it is the easiest way to know about local news and happenings. I like the new magazine inserts that they are doing this year. World news I get online before I ever see it in the paper. (I recently met people in town who did not know we had a tornado - because they don't read a local paper or watch the local news. I find this disconcerting.)
2. Texags.
3. Go to First Friday and read the posters in the windows. This is so old school it is laughable, but you would not believe the stuff I have found out about by doing this - often it is the first time I hear of stuff, or possibly the only time I hear of things. I learned about the Craft Beer festival that way. I found my kid's sumer camp from posters in the window of RX Pizza. I know that Texas Reds will be September 23-25 because it is already advertised downtown.
4. Word of mouth, Facebook friends.
5. KBTX morning news.
6. Radio, but I usually change stations when ads/talk comes on but KAMU does a good job of letting me know about concerts and campus activities.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.