Pollution Permit for Ceramic Company in Bryan

1,809 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Brewmaster
threecatcorner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seen this yet? Somehow I think that hearing the company explain why their pollution is awesome (explain how they want to expand and have more jobs; never mind about the air quality) is not going to convince people with asthma or with little kids in the area (right by a school) that it's a great idea to let them make extra pollution. The fact that it is the same kind of pollution is really not going to sway anyone.http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Concerns-continue-over-Bryan-plants-air-quality-request-as-hearing-nears-387722402.html
SumAggie
so what EXACTLY is the "pollutant" they are talking about?
BlazeHarper
Sulfur dioxide. nitrous oxide, other particulate matter. Ya know the kind of stuff that affects breathing and respiratory systems, damages lung tissue, causes cancer, causes low birth weights and premature death especially in the young and elderly.

Meeting Info
The Original AG 76
AG
NIMBY's
" California here we come "
PS3D
The pollution permit is probably more of a liability thing than a "We're going to make this create as much air pollution as the law allows". And in typical Eagle misreporting, they don't even say what Van Brunt's business is in case he owns something that would cause his workers to get sick.
Brewmaster
AG
this is a LOT more than a liability cover... They're going to emit 110 additional tons of pollutants into the air each year. There are schools downwind of this plant and a lot of local runners and cyclists that will be negatively affected. This IS a big deal.

particulate matter and sulfur dioxide are the 2 big ones - known to cause respiratory problems, asthma, bronchitis, etc.
CWIsom
Company has been in business here for over 40 years and it's within federal guidelines.
Rexter
Bob owns Hot Dogs Etc in Bryan
Red Krow
Very glad to have a great long standing company like Saint Gobain here in town providing jobs and helping the local economy. Happy they are expanding and providing more jobs! They operate well within their allowed emissions. A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing coupled with a NIMBY attitude. Wish I could make the meeting to support them but I will be out of town that week.
PS3D
quote:
Bob owns Hot Dogs Etc in Bryan
Why would they be interviewing him at all, given he owns an entirely different business two and a half miles east away? Why does he even think that his employees are being directly affected by SBNP? Like I said, typical Eagle KBTX misreporting.

quote:
this is a LOT more than a liability cover... They're going to emit 110 additional tons of pollutants into the air each year. There are schools downwind of this plant and a lot of local runners and cyclists that will be negatively affected. This IS a big deal.

particulate matter and sulfur dioxide are the 2 big ones - known to cause respiratory problems, asthma, bronchitis, etc.

Sorry to burst your NIMBY bubble, but regarding the wind direction, that's not true. Statistically, wind blows NORTH all year except for January. There are no schools north of Saint Gobain NorPro except Arthur Davila four miles away and barely any houses (it's mostly open space).
BlazeHarper
I never really understood why people champion corporations that pollute the environment and adversely affect the health of the people who live in the area. Could you help me understand why your concern lies more with a company over residents health and well being ? I mean do you look at a company like this and look at the increase in emissions and think that this is a good thing for anyone living in the city ? I do not get it. You say they are NIMBYS but why ? Is this something you want ?

Why would you call them a "great longstanding company" ? What makes them great ? Do you know much about their company and their affect on air quality in other areas ? I just do not get it please help me understand.
threecatcorner
More info about the meeting at https://www.tceq.texas.gov/assets/public/comm_exec/pm-ph/notices/2016-07-28-saint-gobain-ceramics-and-plastics-20006-pm.pdf

There are two parts: (1) informal that they won't consider at all and (2) formal comments that they will consider and are supposed to write a reply to each person.

The meeting is Thursday night.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
NIMBY's

" California here we come "
I'm sure you would be pleased if they moved in right next door to you.
Scruffy
AG
quote:
I never really understood why people champion corporations that pollute the environment and adversely affect the health of the people who live in the area. Could you help me understand why your concern lies more with a company over residents health and well being ? I mean do you look at a company like this and look at the increase in emissions and think that this is a good thing for anyone living in the city ? I do not get it. You say they are NIMBYS but why ? Is this something you want ?

Why would you call them a "great longstanding company" ? What makes them great ? Do you know much about their company and their affect on air quality in other areas ? I just do not get it please help me understand.

Everything "pollutes".
I would want to know what the pollutants are before jumping on the "it's too great a risk we need to shut them down" bandwagon.
Rainwater runoff from construction sites is regulated as a pollutant. That why they put up the straw or plastic barriers around the dirt work.
halibut sinclair
quote:

Sorry to burst your NIMBY bubble, but regarding the wind direction, that's not true. Statistically, wind blows NORTH all year except for January. There are no schools north of Saint Gobain NorPro except Arthur Davila four miles away and barely any houses (it's mostly open space).
Might want to check your directions again there, sport.
PS3D
quote:
quote:

Might want to check your directions again there, sport.

quote:
The arrows point in the direction that the wind is blowing.

halibut sinclair
quote:

Uhhh - the arrows indicate the direction the wind is blowing from. Do you really think the wind blows from the north around here all year EXCEPT January? Scroll down and look at the graphic for Wind Direction Distribution.
PS3D
quote:
quote:

Uhhh - the arrows indicate the direction the wind is blowing from. Do you really think the wind blows from the north around here all year EXCEPT January? Scroll down and look at the graphic for Wind Direction Distribution.

Of course the wind ISN'T blowing from the north most of the year. It blows from the south (the gulf), and blowing toward the north. That would blow pollutants AWAY from Jane Long, most of Bryan, et. al...which is what the NIMBYs were trying to argue.
halibut sinclair
Suffice to say you are a confused young man
Brewmaster
AG
LOL - times like these I wish I had the laugh/ cry emoticon
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.