Why isn't anyone griping about this yet? (Speed Limit Change)

7,487 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Frio Cielo
MightyDuck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
There was no traffic congestion on 6 until they redid the ramps. Now it is constantly clogged.

That's just selective memory. There was congestion on 6 as far back as 2004 when I did traffic counts on it as an intern.
Maybe I overstated, but it isn't selective memory. The ramps caused a significant change. The congestion went from occasional to consistent. I have driven the same route on 6 for years and only dipped below 60 in one-off circumstances, whereas now there are stretches where I can rarely hit 50. The University and Harvey entrance ramps are like pit stops. I've shifted my work hours 30 minutes because of it and I'm mostly back to the old traffic patterns, but the ramps are still jacking things up even in off hours.
Ornlu
AG
You've forgotten about all the times when the traffic signals on the frontage roads used to back cars up onto the freeway, causing traffic on the freeway to go less than 10 MPH for 4+ hours at a time. University, Briarcrest, Southwest, and even SH-21 used to have this problem, multiple times per month. It meant that any malfunction with any of the frontage road signals would cause gridlock on the main lanes.

The new ramps are NOT a logistical or physical problem, they're a driver behavior problem. If people would use them correctly, they are superior to the old ramps because they ensure proper queue lengths for the frontage road signals even in the event of a malfunction. Once drivers learn that they need to accelerate to merging speed (USE THE PEDAL ON THE RIGHT!), everyone's going to see how much better they are.
AC Hopper
S
It doesn't matter what the posted speed limit is as long as Brazos S.O., the city p.d.'s, & DPS consider traffic safety & enforcement by daily patrolling outside the scope of their duty and responsibility -- or beneath their dignity -- it won't be enforced.

Hwy 6 will continue to be a free-for-all.
Justified
What are your thoughts on the "hands free behind the wheel" ordinance?
Alte Schule
Long time in comin'.
RGRAg1/75
AG
quote:
A complete dumbass could of done better with designing the on/off ramps in town. Txdot should be freaking embarrassed.

Take it easy on my 4 year old. He didn't even use a ruler when he drafted those plans with his crayons.
RGRAg1/75
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
There was no traffic congestion on 6 until they redid the ramps. Now it is constantly clogged.

That's just selective memory. There was congestion on 6 as far back as 2004 when I did traffic counts on it as an intern.
Maybe I overstated, but it isn't selective memory. The ramps caused a significant change. The congestion went from occasional to consistent. I have driven the same route on 6 for years and only dipped below 60 in one-off circumstances, whereas now there are stretches where I can rarely hit 50. The University and Harvey entrance ramps are like pit stops. I've shifted my work hours 30 minutes because of it and I'm mostly back to the old traffic patterns, but the ramps are still jacking things up even in off hours.

Anyone arguing that the ramps aren't at least part of the problem either hasn't driven 6 since the re-design, or texts and drives everytime they get in the car and doesn't notice anything around them.
studioone
how about 3/4 of you move away to another town and then there will be less people on the road...

hey.. simple solutions sometimes work!..

Frio Cielo
Having driven Hwy 6 two to four times a day at least five days a week during peak traffic periods since it was built, I would say that 70% of the problem is drivers refusing to get to highway speed when leaving the ramp and entering the highway, 5% caused by the ramps and 25% due to the lack of a third lane that would allow through traffic to traffic at highway speed in the left two lanes allowing entering and exiting traffic to use the right lane.

When observing cars with drivers entering the highway now who do get to highway speed most every time there is no issue in just merging into the highway. Drivers on the highway may have to tap on their breaks or let off on the gas pedal a second but that speed is recovered quickly. No problems at all.

About the only time I see major issues at any highway exchange is when there is a car going past the entry ramp about 45 mph in the right lane and cars are trying to enter at highway speed or when people try to enter the highway at 45 mph into cars going highway speed. Either way, it's a cluster....

When the right lane is going 60 to 70 mph and people are getting to the same speeds entering the highway, you see few problems.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.