Texas Monthly Top 50 burgers

7,769 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FlyRod
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Joe's Place made the list:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/50-greatest-burgers-texas

quote:
Cheeseburger Basket
Joe's Place, $8.75 (includes a side)
A simple sign reading "Joe's" east of Bryan marks the location of a fabled hole-in-the-wall in the 1.8-square-mile town of Wixon Valley. Since 1940, those in the know have parked their pickups in the dusty lot outside to enjoy the treasure within: a juicy hand-formed beef patty with all the fixings, tucked into a simple bun (go for the jalapeo). Served with a choice of sides that includes Joe's fabulous onion rings, this unpretentious, old-fashioned burger will take you back to that elusive simpler time. Cherish it. 9376 Texas Hwy 21E, 979-589-2693. MonSat 1010:30.
Broncos
halibut sinclair
Frio Cielo
About the best I have had in this area is at Margie's bar and grill in downtown Bryan. If joe's is better, it's a dang good burger.

Oogway
Tell me more about those onion rings. Those are a guilty pleasure of mine and it is tricky to find ones I like.
EVA3
AG
quote:
About the best I have had in this area is at Margie's bar and grill in downtown Bryan. If joe's is better, it's a dang good burger.

It's been a long time since I have had either, but Joe's is much better.
halibut sinclair
Margie's, Joe's and Top of the Hill are the best old-fashioned burgers around. Can't go wrong with any of them.
soso33
what makes for an old-fashioned burger?
InMyOpinion
Had a burger there a couple times - wasn't that impressed. It was good but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.
FlyRod
quote:

I've never understood that either. McDonalds has been around forever...are they "old fashioned burgers?"
jt2hunt
AG
Proudest Monkey has some good burgers.
TXAG 05
AG
quote:

It means just a regular hamburger, not the hipster style ones that a lot of places are doing now.
malibu9in1
Again. Another damn burger thread and the locals peek over the fence to yell who's got the best burger. The best burger is whoever wins the "best burger of brazos valley " contest that the radio station puts on.
ratfacemcdougal
Oog,

Try the onion rings at Fish Daddy
FlyRod
http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/best-tacos-bryan-college-station/

Here's another local Texas Monthly gem.
halibut sinclair
Joe's Place is in the news:

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/-Brazos-Valley-restaurant-earns-spot-on-Texas-Monthlys-list-of-states-best-burgers--387726131.html

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/brazos-valley-burger-named-one-of-the-greatest-in-the/article_4066ba80-4ebf-11e6-93fa-ff0377c291c8.html
patrick.redmill
quote:
quote:

It means just a regular hamburger, not the hipster style ones that a lot of places are doing now.

Not sure what a "hipster burger" is, but I thought it might be a good time to remind you that cannibalism is illegal in the state of Texas.
rhoswen
AG
Grub is "hipster burgers."
malibu9in1
quote:
http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/best-tacos-bryan-college-station/

Here's another local Texas Monthly gem.

That's old news. We need burger news. The locals demand it.
FlyRod
You should do a search and see just how far back "burger news" threads go...
KidDoc
AG
quote:
Grub is "hipster burgers."
If hipster burgers means interesting ingredients like blue cheese, onion straws, egg, guac, etc then I love my Hipster burgers!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Post removed:
by user
Stupe
S
quote:

I'm not sure which is better, but it's a dang good burger.
EliteElectric
Joe's Place has more to offer than just burgers, they have a hell of a Ribeye sandwich there, they have crawfish when it's in season and the BLT on Texas Toast is one of my all time faves! Good food in general. The owner is a friend of mine and I am very proud of my friend for getting recognized, that's a whole lot better than winning best of the Brazos
Oogway
quote:
Oog,

Try the onion rings at Fish Daddy

Thanks for the tip!
malibu9in1
quote:
You should do a search and see just how far back "burger news" threads go...

It should be called mybcsburgerstacossteaks.com
malibu9in1
The braircrest cc quarry has a very good burger too
Muzzleblast
It's a bit of a drive but Mallett Brothers in Iola has consistently great burgers.

I like Yankees Tavern in Carlos as well. Some interesting people watching to keep you entertained in there.

You can tattoo watch as well as look at the weekend bikers. You'd think the Village People showed up.

There is a place in North Zulch called Across the Tracks or something like that. I've heard good stuff about them but I've yet to try it. I will soon.
techno-ag
AG
Joe's is a decent burger place. Top of the Hill is better.
malibu9in1
quote:
Joe's is a decent burger place. Top of the Hill is better.

It's just different. I think top of hill and Margie's are the same type greasy style. Joes is more juicy than greasy? If that makes sense. I know the buns are very greasy at toh and Margie's. But all are great.
FlyRod
What makes Top of the Hill better than Joe's?
isitjustme
AG
All this burger talk forced me and the s.o. to go to Margies yesterday. All I can say is that the sexy pimp 1/2# burger is awesome! and just the right amount of greasy. I'd been sticking with the 1/4 burger there before that but will have the pimp again. Plus, price is great and it's five minutes from my house. A winner all around.
halibut sinclair
I would say that Margie's Sexy Pimp and the Top of the Hill burger are very close. Joe's is more on par with Yankee's. All very good.

Glad more people are discovering the goodness of Margie's.
EVA3
AG
Admittedly, I have not been to Margie's in a long time. Perhaps they have added to the menu or improved. They weren't bad, I just wasn't overly impressed.

As for "Top of the Hill," are you talking about the place in Somerville toward Lyons that also sells bait? I thought that place closed down when the owners died.
EVA3
AG
quote:

As for "Top of the Hill," are you talking about the place in Somerville toward Lyons that also sells bait? I thought that place closed down when the owners died.

Just searched and found the place in Benchley. The store in Benchley next to the saddle shop used to have great burgers, but I thought they had closed too. I also don't remember that being the name. Has it changed?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.