Parents Weekend Name Change

3,762 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 95_Aggie
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
dv0478
How long do you want to ignore this user?
yay, more pandering
Aggie
AG
Oh Good Lord

Post removed:
by user
CEAg78
AG
I don't get the hate. Some Aggies have parents, some have grandparents, some have aunts/uncles, some have A parent. Does it really disrupt your world to acknowledge that some families are not two parents and 2.5 kids?

Geez.

Class of 1978.
soso33

quote:
Slocum on a mobile
1:54p
H
AG
http://www.theeagle.com/news/a_m/texas-a-m-parents-weekend-receives-new-more-inclusive-name/article_d0ebf140-4dcc-11e6-8dc9-83424eb27721.html

dv0478
1:55p
A
yay, more pandering

Aggie
1:58p
L
AG
Oh Good Lord

Slocum on a mobile
2:05p
H
AG
I thought the same thing. More whiny, politically correct babble coming out of the school. The place went downhill when they didn't bring bonfire back (ON CAMPUS!) and continues to slide, IMHO. I'd expect this out of t.u., not A&M.

^
|
|

Ah, now there's the A&M that I know and love.

This recent A&M that seems more aligned with my own political leanings and treating all people with respect... That's the A&M that confuses me. It's weird that my whole college experience would have been different had I gone to A&M in this day and age. Nothing to rail against or get incensed about. Strange times.
Rapier108
Blatant pandering to the LGBTQABCDEFG.... crowd.
The Original AG 76
AG
"Parents Of The Year" tradition is next !
coconuthead
Um... y'all know that LGBTQ+ parents do consider themselves parents, right?

They don't introduce themselves as their children's "family."

This seems more aimed toward opening the weekend to any family a student has. Seems like more visitors = more revenue for the area = winning idea. Not a huge violation of the sanctity of conservative values. Sheesh.

Post removed:
by user
rhoswen
AG
Well now that just seems reasonable !

Look, it wasn't just parents that showed up that weekend so they changed the name. But by all means, blame it on the icky gays.
Birddog
AG
I think it is a good move. My first thought is a student who is supported by his an aunt or uncle or perhaps grandparents. The politically correct angle didn't even cross my mind until I read some of the comments.
Jaxson11
AG
I like the move.
bobinator
AG
I think it's all a ploy to increase spring game attendance.
Rex Racer
AG
It's a harmless move.

Now if they will just get rid of the "RELLIS" name.
Post removed:
by user
Jack Bristow
AG
I think if the headline didn't have "inclusive" in it's title, there would be less of a knee jerk reaction. "Inclusive" has become synonymous with a political agenda these days. I'm totally fine with the name change. The Eagle knew what they were doing when they chose that title, looking for click bait and people do get in a tizzy without reading what the actual change was.
Kitten With A Whip
The name change doesn't bother me, but I don't think it's necessary.
Average Joe
AG
But now my sister is going to think she is actually invited. This sucks.
Hammerheadjim
AG
Nope, changing the name doesn't bother me a bit. In fact I kinda like it.

What bothers me is all the BS involved in the reasons they change it.
Scruffy
AG
The only non-reg people I saw coming were those involved in aggie mom clubs.

I don't see this doing anything.that weekend is still all about spring football and the corps moms wanting to see their little precious in uniform.
07bluebonnet
Well, if they're going for politically correct they are failing horribly. Will no one think of the orphans who have no family to visit? Their spirits were instantly crushed with this decision.
agnerd
AG
Is this really necessary? I've been attending spring games and parents weekend events since I graduated despite not having kids at A&M. Never felt unwelcome or excluded. Guess I'm from the opinion that "if it aint broke, don't fix it."
rhoswen
AG
They've changed it 4 times before.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Oh noes, how will this affect my life?

Oh, wait. It won't. This is a Facebook thread.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
They've changed it 4 times before.
SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That doesn't jibe with narrative of this thread. DO NOT bring facts on here when there's b*tching about how the world has gone to hell going on. It's only a matter of time until someone chimes in with "Thanks, Obama."

Can't you see people are upset at stupid sh*t that doesn't affect their lives?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
quote:
Blatant pandering to the LGBTQABCDEFG.... crowd.

Confused how this is pandering. It's not just parents that show up anymore. I have no problem with family weekend. Bring your whole clan down here and screw up a traffic for a weekend but leave us a fat wad of cash please. Thanks!
GoneGirl
AG
Who cares? I've never, ever, ever felt unwelcomed on the A&M campus on Parents' Weekend even though I'm not an Aggie parent (well, I'm and Aggie, and a parent, just not the parent of an Aggie student yet).

And does it really matter if they call it Family Weekend? Look at is as an opportunity to include those little brothers, sisters, cousins, and convince them that A&M is really the only quality school in Texas.

People get upset over the strangest things...
SumAggie
SMH..... good lord.
Justin2010
AG
quote:
Next it will be: Texas A&M, Home of the 12th Person.

It'd be interesting (and scary, honestly) to do one of those fake petition videos asking people to sign changing from "12th man" to "12th person".

I bet at least half of the students would sign it.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
E King Gill was a man.
ro828
Tragic First World problems. By the way, I am White as were both parents and all four grandparents. Beyond that, Lord only knows. But I have way too much going on in my life to sob bitter tears about this.
95_Aggie
AG
Oh noes ... they changed some words. The world is ending.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.