Does Caprock ER take all insurance?

10,221 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by akaggie
Sleepnumber
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They take 'most' insurance. They do not take government insurance---Medicaid, Medicare or Tricare.
TexAg1987
Don't think you are going to save money. Time yes, money? Probably not. They are an Emergency room. If you can have it taken care of at an Urgent Care or walk in clinic place, you will come out better.
Sleepnumber
AG
quote:
They take 'most' insurance. They do not take government insurance---Medicaid, Medicare or Tricare.
Thanks. That's what I thought----just wanted to be sure
deh40
AG
Just because they take most insurance, it doesn't mean they are in network with the insurance, which could result in much more out of pocket.
Roc96
AG
They just charge the "Emergency Room" copay.
Frio Cielo
They do a good job, but always remember that they are an emergency facility, not a clinic.

My wife went there when she felt really bad with chills and headaches. I told her what it was and she still went.

I took her there and she was inside about 15 minutes and they checked her out. They gave her some pain medicine and she came out went home.

The bill was right at $2500. After insurance coverage, her bill was $650 with no itemization of the charges. WE called back and asked for an itemization and after much debate got one.

The one thing that stood out to me was the $220 they charged her for the pain pills....six pills. No mention of they could give her a prescription to take to a pharmacy and she didn't think to ask.

Maybe I am so used to just paying a $20 co-pay, but charging $220 for three dosages of pain medicine seems high to me.

91_Aggie
AG
quote:
They just charge the "Emergency Room" copay.
There's going to be other higher than normal costs that come with this besides "Emergency Copay". Just avoid ERs unless it truly is an emergency.

$2500 for a 15-30 minute visit is ridiculous. (but going to an ER for chills and a headache was the first mistake).
jasonw
If you hear a business advertising every 5 minutes on every radio station and tv channel, someone is paying for that (the customer).
MarineBQ04
AG
If you have really good insurance, it is actually billed as an urgent care and not an ER. Yay for BCBS
phdag
That's not true, Marine. We have BCBS and still got a $700 bill after a visit for my son. It's an ER. We paid our $100 ER visit fee then got a bill a few months later.
SECeded
Counterpoint
AG
quote:
That's not true, Marine. We have BCBS and still got a $700 bill after a visit for my son. It's an ER. We paid our $100 ER visit fee then got a bill a few months later.
Same here. I have BCBS, and they charged me an insane amount. If they are really supposed to charge urgent care prices, I need to know!

queenwest
When i went there for a ear infection they flushed it out. No meds and i have bcbs insurance. They charged me so much money and my insurance has always paid full coverage. I know they need money to run that place but i wont ever go back.
montegobay
Just because a place says they take your insurance doesn't mean they are in your network. I know Caprock ER is not in my network, so I would absolutely never go there. It's a good idea to look them up now in case you have a real emergency.
TAMU1990
AG
Same thing for the ST. Joseph's walk in clinic next to their ER on the feeder road. They charge your insurance at a hospital facility rate (I guess because they are apart of a hospital system - same name). They may charge your $20 copay when you arrive but when the insurance was processed I had to pay an additional $800 for two visits and two x-rays that happened within weeks of each other. Boys and bones/ligament injuries don't always happen from 9-5pm. My oldest came home from football practice and he couldn't open his mouth completely. I thought we had a broken jaw but it was a locked jaw and he needed muscle relaxers. Another son had an injury in baseball practice but luckily nothing was broken.

They are obviously NOT a hospital but they can do that. I talked with the insurance about it for quite a while and learned that there are three different levels facilities can charge your insurance. I will never go back there again.

I didn't have a problem with them in years past - it was charged as a doctors office visit. However, about two years ago it was changed. I might of used that place once or twice a year but I happened to use twice it within weeks and learned about the change when the bills came in.
MarineBQ04
AG
angus55
Wife took our eldest daughter there when she broke her ankle. We paid 300 all said and done with BCBS. So not sure about why so different. We were very happy with care and I was surprised when I got bill
SumAggie
welcome to Obamacare..... someone has to pay for those who don't have to pay. Out-of-pocket on ours has quadrupled.
armymom
So with all these comments what place is recommended for a possible broken bone or bad cough/congestion if you can't go to your primary doctor and not get charged ER rates? A urgent care center like Brazos Valley Urgent Care or the Scott & White Today Care?
GunRangeGal
AG
I've always had a great experience at Brazos Valley Urgent Care. They are great for things like a sinus infection, cold, etc. If you only have a lunch hour to be seen, they are great. They are super reasonable in their prices, too. Not a replacement for your GP, but great for when you want to get in, out, and on your way to feeling better for minor things.
MiMi
S
I have always gone to Today Care and Scott&White.
JohnD`05
There is a new urgent care going in at the Physicians Centre.
medic1969p
Same issues with CapRock. Billing is horrible. Gotta help them pay for all those ads.
91_Aggie
AG
Why do people go to Urgent care for "a cold"?
befitter
If you need a real ER then go to a real ER attached to an actual hospital that can actually admit you if necessary. Otherwise all you need is an Urgent Care. These free standing ER's are a total rip off and they are abusing the health care system in my opinion.
KidDoc
AG
quote:
If you need a real ER then go to a real ER attached to an actual hospital that can actually admit you if necessary. Otherwise all you need is an Urgent Care. These free standing ER's are a total rip off and they are abusing the health care system in my opinion.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dubi
AG
quote:
If you go to Caprock and need real care, they will transfer you via ambulance to S&W and then you will get a 2nd ER bill along with an ambulance bill.
BrandoC
AG
You prople are crazy if you think going to a privitized ER center is cheaper than going to a hospital ER that is within your insurance. I think ER's like Caprock thrive on people who do not think.
dubi
AG
quote:
I think ER's like Caprock thrive on people who do not think.
We have a winner!

If you watch their really expensive ad campaign then you know you get great care with ZERO wait time!

mshawnreynolds
CapRock will take your insurance and the charge you the difference. Total ripoff for the service.
cslifer
I am pretty sure that is how all ERs work....
BlazeHarper
This is what someone said on their Facebook and I think it describes the way the majority of people think who go there. "They were the best when i took my son in to get looked at for sore throat and he just wasn't feeling good , they made my 21 year old son all better again .. Thank You CapRock"

For whatever reason people have redefined what an Emergency Room is used for. In fact wasn't it their early radio spots that talk about the various things you might use them for, two of which I think were a hang nail and poison ivy ? Convenience is awesome, so is an attentive staff and lab results that show up pronto but do not think it is free. You are going to pay along with everyone else in your plan.

Scoopen Skwert
AG
Just don't be the person who goes for the common cold, get meds and then come back 2 days later because "I'm not better yet!!!!" Sadly Dr. Bombay is a fictional tv character and you never get better over night.
lck04
AG
I took my son there when he sliced his ear open on a Sunday night at about 8pm. In and out in less than 30 minutes including all paperwork. It was clean, friendly, fast, and professional.

It would have cost me the same at the other ERs, this one was just much faster (Sunday night with a 4yo, fast is great).

Any injury I need immediate care for I'd go there first. The staff was great with billing and my insurance didn't have any trouble with it. Insurance is through Cigna.

I'm very glad I had that option instead of a crowded ER where a bloody ear wouldn't be a priority and I'd have been there for hours.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.