Bryan/CS lawyer recommendation

3,427 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mr.Short-termMemory
Jack Pearson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need some advice for my roommate who was caught in a vehicle that was searched that had a small amount of weed....was in someone elses vehicle. First time in trouble much less getting arrested. Judge is Jim Locke in county court at law #2. He has not hired a lawyer but looking for recommendations and estimated costs, IE flat fee, hrly ,court costs etc.....or just general help appreciated. Court date isnt until Sept.
australopithecus robustus
Craig Greening.
alisoncan
Amy Banks
carpe vinum
AG
Were it me, I'd call Cam Reynolds.
Jack Pearson
AG
Wow he called all three...wide range of fees..2k,3k, and 6k...does that sound reasonable or are these all a little high?
Jack Pearson
AG
Yeah play stupid games win stupid prizes ...I was way off when I told him Ithought this was a $600-1000 problem...6k that's crazy
duffelpud
AG
mwm
What's it going to be worth to him in order to keep it off his resume or background check when he applies for that first, big-bucks job? "You can pay now or you can pay later."
AggiePlaya
AG
quote:
Wow he called all three...wide range of fees..2k,3k, and 6k...does that sound reasonable or are these all a little high?
Welcome to the world of legal fees
Kitten With A Whip
Don't forget that he will likely have a fine to pay before it is all said and done. And if it's even possible, there will be a cost to have it expunged from his record. Check with each attorney to see what is included in their fee. Six grand may seem a lot, but you may be getting more from that attorney... or maybe not, but it's important to know what you're getting.
Post removed:
by user
allMondjoy
Play this card "been working out in the heat while others are in the air conditioning".
Justin2010
AG
Take it to court. Represent himself.
FlyRod
Cost a co-worker about $12,000 to have a DWI removed. These things don't come cheap, for better or worse.
cadetjay02
AG
Try Lina Burns. She's an AG out of Caldwell but does Brazos County stuff.
Strong Men Armed
Not a lawyer, but here's another option for him. Go to his first scheduled court appearance, which is arraignment. See what the prosecutor will offer him. If he doesn't have a criminal record, he will likely be offered one year deferred adjudication, which is not a conviction. Plus a $500 fine and court costs. A year's probation at $60/month. About 40 hours of community service. Random drug tests. Eligible for early discharge after 4 months. Worst possible case, his criminal history will show an arrest but no conviction for a class B misdemeanor. After he's done, look into getting it expunged. Might need a lawyer for that.

Or take a couple of weeks in jail and a conviction, if he doesn't mind having that on his record.
litig8r187
AG
Not completely accurate. With Deferred Adjudication, you will not have a "final conviction" but the deferred sentence will remain on your record and can not be expunged. You would, however, be able to file a Petition for Nondisclosure which blocks most "regular" folks from seeing the sentence in a normal records search. It , however,is still there and accessible to most licensing agencies, LEO, military and other sensitive "safety" related jobs.

You can apply for early discharge from deferred adjudication at any point (unlike "straight probation" where you must wait till you serve 50%) but most judges will not discharge you that early. I think after 50% is more likely on a sentence that short.
welborn
Craig Greaves.

You're welcome.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
FYI, don't expect to get off early in Brazos County. The County Attorney's office many times will require a waiver of early discharge of probation as a condition of a plea. While litig8r187 is correct on the law, Brazos County has their policies.......bureaucracy is fun.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.