Where to apply for passport?

2,618 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jrhmc
kevmiller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In Brazos county.
Post office??

AggiePlaya
AG
Post office by appointment or the Study Abroad office on campus at Texas A&M
isitjustme
AG
According to this website: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports.html you can do it all online.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
My family and I went to the campus office referenced above. It was pretty seamless. Might want to call first, since it's summer, just to be on the safe side.
RustyShackelford
You have to appear in person if it is your first time applying. You can fill out the form online, however. AggiePlaya is correct. Make an appointment at the post office and make sure you have everything before then; pictures included. The camera at the post office is frequently broken.
bobinator
AG
I did mine on campus a few weeks ago and it was really easy.
bobinator
AG
Biggest mistake i saw is that people just had their birth certificate abstract (short form) but you need to have the long form. You're probably going to have to contact the court house where you were born to get it. You can do it by mail usually but I was born nearby in Brenham so I just shot them an email to say I was coming and drove over and got it.
cz308
We went and did everything on campus. Very easy.
UmustBKidding
You must have certified birth certificate. Texas Bureau of vital statistics can issue if born in Texas. The county can issue them if you were born in the county. Have made the road trip to Austin to pick up before.
Travel abroad office for sure, the post office is always a mess and typically don't have any appointments for a number of months.
jrhmc
AG
We got passports for the kids last year at the regular CS post office and it was super easy. I just happened to be in there one day and knew we needed to get them soon so I checked their appointment book. They had one for the next day and we went in with the paperwork. Took about 15 minutes.
dubi
AG
quote:
Biggest mistake i saw is that people just had their birth certificate abstract (short form) but you need to have the long form. You're probably going to have to contact the court house where you were born to get it. You can do it by mail usually but I was born nearby in Brenham so I just shot them an email to say I was coming and drove over and got it.
Our kids were born in Houston and we were able to get replacement birth certificates at the Bryan Courthouse.
Ag_B_10
AG
My wife, son, and I did ours on campus a couple years ago and we were in and out in 20 minute. Easy.
amanda04
AG
Went to the Study Abroad office as well, just last week in fact. They have limited walk-up hours and won't accept customers 30 minutes before they close their walk-up hours. I did EVERYTHING there, from filled out application, got pictures taken, the whole shebang and it was about 30 minutes. No one else was there when I was there.

I would second the make sure you have the correct birth certificate because they checked before they would let me start the process. AND make sure you know where your parents were born. It's on the application.

I would recommend the Study Abroad office in a heartbeat. Very easy and helpful for someone who has never applied for a passport. (And the parking garage is literally right next door so it's very easy to get to on campus.)
Mathguy64
AG
We redid ours a couple of years ago in Anderson. Took about 10 minutes. The Post Office is (or was at the time don't know about now) a joke. You had to reserve a time slot about a month in advance and the window to choose was a fairly small time period during the middle of the day and in addition they only took 2 or so reservations a day. Walking up was definitely not allowed.
4Runnergurl
on campus is the way to go and if you got someone who can drive you and wait---even better. i did that for a girlfriend and only took like 15-20 minutes. easy cheesy.
bobinator
AG
quote:
Our kids were born in Houston and we were able to get replacement birth certificates at the Bryan Courthouse.
Just saying I saw them tell several people they had the wrong one.
dubi
AG
quote:
quote:
Just saying I saw them tell several people they had the wrong one.
And my comment was "if" they had the wrong one, there was no need to return to the city of birth to get the correct one.
Ag_B_10
AG
Let me add that study abroad office on campus is also cheaper than the post office. If I remember right, by about $20.
jrhmc
AG
quote:
Let me add that study abroad office on campus is also cheaper than the post office. If I remember right, by about $20.
That can't be right. The fees for passports are the same no matter where you do them. It's law. I really expected the post office to be terrible based on stories I heard on here but it was easy, peasy and really fast. They even took the pictures there.
jason_cook
S
Anywhere close to apply for TSA Pre-Check?
Counterpoint
AG
quote:
I think Houston and Austin are the closest.
dave99ag
AG
quote:

Yep, IAH is the closest. Highly recommend it too. I fought through Bush, O'Hare and Detroit Wayne last week with minimal lines.
amanda04
AG
If you go to the Study Abroad office, you have to have a check with your name printed on it (can't be temporary) to mail in with the application for $110 and then you pay the Study Abroad office $25 for processing the application and an additional $10 if they take your picture there.
jrhmc
AG
quote:
If you go to the Study Abroad office, you have to have a check with your name printed on it (can't be temporary) to mail in with the application for $110 and then you pay the Study Abroad office $25 for processing the application and an additional $10 if they take your picture there.
Post office is the same price. Pictures are more at Walgreens.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.