KBTX Website redesign

3,742 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by miller_KBTX
jrhmc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not complaining about KBTX in general. I'm just having a hard time finding things on their latest website update. They used to post pictures from local events, disasters, weather, etc. that people submitted on their site and I was looking for pictures from the flooding and tornados and I can't find them anywhere. I see the link to submit the pictures but not where to view them. Maybe I'm just tired but it doesn't seem very usable to those of us still viewing the site on a computer. I can see where the redesign might streamline the site on a tablet or phone but it's not easy to find specific information.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Their website has always been awful.
cz308
I'm still wondering why all the other local channels can get on board with HD on Directv, but KBTX cannot.
aggietoolman
AG
It's not KBTX's decision.

From Mike Wright in this thread:

http://texags.com/forums/35/topics/2736285/replies/45872884

quote:
Hi, Bunk. Earlier poster was right about Direct, however, we do broadcast in HD, have since 2004 with CBS programming then all other programming in 2011. Direct gets an HD signal from KBTX but down-converts it to Standard definition, citing Bryan-College Station as a "bedroom community of Waco" many years ago. No kidding. Dish and all area cable systems carry KBTX in HD, and it is frustrating to us as well. As for the recent outage, we lease fiber from Suddenlink and Time Warner to take the signal to the DirecTV head end north of Waco. It is no problem to get signals from Waco stations like our sister-station KWTX because Direct uses an antenna system. For KBTX to make the jump, we invested tens of thousands of $$$ in fiber. Plain and simple (and no one was more in a panic than we were) - the fiber was cut while a utility company was moving electrical poles along I-35 as part of construction. Suddenlink locally was helpful in speeding up the re-connection process, as Dish and Direct were both affected. And yes, there have been other outages because of fiber issues, all out of the control of KBTX. Will occasionally post this DirecTV explanation on here - working to resolve that and hoping the sale of Direct to AT&T will help that. Have a nice Easter weekend.

Mike Wright, VP/General Mgr, KBTX

quote:
I understand the need for high-def. I'm there with you. This is very complicated, been a student of the layout of this market since joining KBTX in 1991. So, the basic take without all the unnecessary detail. Nielsen, and to some degree the FCC, are the ones that designated B-CS as Waco-not DirecTV. That was Direct's belief, since Waco is the primary name of the market. This designation dates back to the 50's when B-CS was very small. We are one of five markets like this in the country. The "bedroom community" comment was from an engineer within DirecTV - who had to get that from someone! As for advertisers, there are national/regional advertisers that have split zones to accommodate for the market. Some fall in the "Houston zone" some in "Dallas." Challenges and all, B-CS and stations like KBTX have a greater impact on Waco market viewing than we would in Houston - all based on population. Fortunately, there are some counties that because of substantial viewing, Direct and to some degree Dish allow carraige in those adjacent counties like Grimes. As for the sister station and Waco? The don't benefit from B-CS viewing that much because Dish and Suddenlink make up the majority. I see those numbers, and while it may make sense, it isn't the case. AT&T may help because Direct has limitations on bandwidth. Our hope is that bandwidth will be expanded with new ownership. Tempted to throw in the complications, and those who know me know this "DMA Story" is near and dear to my heart. I'll stop there - hope it helps. Likely, a reference to my ability to define the DMA and explain it will be somewhere on my tombstone! It may be intriguing to some, boring to most!
aggiepublius
AG
What hacks me off is all the tracking bots and code they have on their site. They have 39+ trackers on their mobile front page. Many - if not most - of those trackers don't restrict themselves to sites they are on or if you have a logged in to an account for them to track you on other domains. News sites need to push back or they are going to lose even more ad revenue. Facebook started tracking non-users last week to make money off them.

I know MW doesn't have control of everything that Grey forces them to do on their web site but I wish he would push back on the web trackers.
Spyderman
AG
KBTX need to secede from little sister. Waco just is dirty place, especially Baylor.
MiMi
S
quote:
They used to post pictures from local events, disasters, weather, etc. that people submitted on their site and I was looking for pictures from the flooding and tornados and I can't find them anywhere. I see the link to submit the pictures but not where to view them.
KBTX Weather photo submissions
jrhmc
AG
quote:
quote:
They used to post pictures from local events, disasters, weather, etc. that people submitted on their site and I was looking for pictures from the flooding and tornados and I can't find them anywhere. I see the link to submit the pictures but not where to view them.
KBTX Weather photo submissions
I knew it had to be on there but I still can't find where this is linked from the regular KBTX page. How did you find the mycapture page?
95_Aggie
AG
That photo page looks like we are back in 1995.
MiMi
S
quote:
I knew it had to be on there but I still can't find where this is linked from the regular KBTX page. How did you find the mycapture page?
I clicked on the "Click here to view more pictures!" link under the Reason the Smile photo that's about halfway down the homepage on the right-hand side - today's photo is of little Asia in a pageant dress standing behind her trophies. Clinking on the link took me to all the 'Reason the Smile' photos; but I then noticed the list of 'Other Categories,' and clicked on 'Weather.' Voila! Easy peasy
[url=http://kbtx.mycapture.com/mycapture/photos/Upload.aspx?CategoryID=29715&EventID=1700785][/url]
miller_KBTX
quote:
That photo page looks like we are back in 1995.

Good Afternoon AGnCS!

I'm Thomas Miller the "web guy" for KBTX.com

I completely understand how you feel. It's definitely not an ideal layout, but fortunately the developers who built it are in the process of overhauling the product to match current standards.

We don't have a date yet, but I suspect sometime later in the year.

Please don't hesitate to call or email me anytime if you have additional questions.

---------------------
Thomas W. Miller
Digital Media Manager, KWTX.com & KBTX.com
miller@kbtx.com | Office: 979-595-1505
Twitter: @thomasmiller

soso33
95_Aggie
AG
Thanks for the response. Here's a good example of a modern photo page:

http://photos.khou.com/gallery/recent
miller_KBTX
quote:
Thanks for the response. Here's a good example of a modern photo page:

http://photos.khou.com/gallery/recent
That's a clean layout. Thanks for sharing!
---------------------
Thomas W. Miller
Digital Media Manager, KWTX.com & KBTX.com
miller@kbtx.com | Office: 979-595-1505
Twitter: @thomasmiller

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.