Best fish & chips in BCS?

6,002 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AggiePhil
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pollock is acceptable as its a relative of cod and haddock. Used to catch them by the bucket load as a kid growing up, and during lean times we ate quite a few, fried, baked, broiled, etc.
KidDoc
AG
BJs is the best I've had in town so far. Huge portions.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
earwigfly
Anywhere in town to buy raw pollock that didn't come from Asia? I tried Fred & Fred, but the clerk I talked to didn't even know what pollock was.
superunknown
AG
quote:

Growing up on the Atlantic coast of Canada, I know the difference between fish & chips and fried catfish.

Haven't had the nerve to try seafood since I was in Nova Scotia last year for work. Got super spoiled and I'm afraid nothing in Texas will compare.
Scruffy
AG
quote:
FWIW, read a review of Zand's Persian Kebabs on Yelp that praised their fish and chips. The chef apparently worked in Ireland and learned to make them there.

Based on my trip last year, most of the fish and chips places over there were owned and run by middle eastern people. I would expect sands to be decent.
Max06
AG
I know the feeling. If you can find FRESH fish here, it's good. The problem is finding it fresh enough, without breaking the bank. I cannot eat lobster anywhere besides Nova Scotia, it's just not the same.
AggiePhil
AG
Made some fish & chips at home the other night using cod from HEB South and the batter recipe below. It was awesome.

• 2 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup corn starch
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 16 ounces club soda

Here's the tarter sauce recipe I used. It too was awesome:

• 1/2 cup good mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons small-diced pickles or cornichons
  • 1 tablespoon Champagne or white wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon capers
  • 1 teaspoon coarse-grained mustard
  • Pinch kosher salt
  • Pinch freshly ground black pepper

motherrunnersBCS
Just asked the owner of Zand's about their fish and chips, since I eat there often and never saw them on the menu. They no longer offer them, because the space they used for the fryer went to the gyro rotating cooker. Too bad, wanted to try them BUT Zand's gyros are the best! If I had to choose between fried fish or gyro, I'll take the gyro. Get the platter with hot sauce and the garlic sauce!
FlyRod
AggiePhil, no beer in that batter?
happyinBCS
Well in the 16 years they have been in CS it has not been on the menu. Please this is nothing personal with you, it seems like you took it that way. oh well the best fish and chips are in Gatwick UK......................
AggiePhil
AG
I've tried beer batters before but the club soda in this one seemed to do a lot better. You can still drink beer with it!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.