Best fish & chips in BCS?

6,000 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AggiePhil
AggiePhil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Madden's food truck used to hold the title. What are some of the best places now?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Long John Silver's

Yeah, it's gross. But every now and then I get a hankerin' for their hushpuppies.
FlyRod
Long John Silvers in Bryan, and sadly I'm not joking.
jja79
AG
I think I saw where Moe's Irish Pub is coming to Century Square. Good fish and chips.
AggiePhil
AG
Wish we had a Catfish King here.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
Long John Silver's

Yeah, it's gross. But every now and then I get a hankerin' for their hushpuppies.
mmmmmmmmmmm....LJS's hushpuppies.
isitjustme
AG
I've had the ones at Murphy's Law. They weren't half bad, which makes them the best in town.
Ornlu
AG
Seriously: Fox & Hound. It's the only passable place in town for faux British fare.
Max06
AG
Flame away, but Cheddar's had surprisingly good fish & chips the last time I tried it.
happyinBCS
I did not know Cheddars had fish and chips, they have fried catfish but do not recall seeing fish and chips on the menu
Max06
AG
And they've only had one set menu, never adding or deleting items, since the inception of the restaurant.

Growing up on the Atlantic coast of Canada, I know the difference between fish & chips and fried catfish.
pixie
AG
BJ's has the best fish and chips I've had in this town (not saying much). The Fox & Hound fish and chips suggested above were among the worst I've ever had.
Ornlu
AG
Oh, forgot about BJ's Brew Pub. Yes, that's superior to F&H. It really is hard to find quality Fish & Chips here.
eloc62
Man, i love a good fish and chips with malt vinegar. hopefully Moe's Irish Pub will deliver. I'm sure no one will get this reference, but i first fell in love with fish n chips while growing up in Houston in the 70's eating at a place called Alfie's Fish n Chips.
Hammerheadjim
AG
Boneheads has a decent fish in chips.
TXTEA12
Ditto Hammerheadjim.
Goose83
AG
quote:
Man, i love a good fish and chips with malt vinegar. hopefully Moe's Irish Pub will deliver. I'm sure no one will get this reference, but i first fell in love with fish n chips while growing up in Houston in the 70's eating at a place called Alfie's Fish n Chips.
I remember Alfie's as well. There used to be one in Bryan back in the late 60's/early 70's. In fact the building is still there - It's now the home of Roadrunner Auto Sales, across the street from Readfield Meats (you can still see the faux Old English timber frame facade if you look close enough).
Bob2525
Cotton Patch has Shiner fish and chips. Good stuff.
stinkerbelle
My husband is from England and his favorite here locally has been at Cotton Patch. Others that he has tried he wasn't too impressed. CP is where he goes when he gets the hankerin'
AggiePhil
AG
Maybe Peter Madden or Tai Lee will see this and hook us up by offering it again on one of the food trucks. Madden did Shiner Bock fish & chips with cilantro lime tarter sauce. Amazing.
techno-ag
AG
Cotton Patch on Boonville.
jimmyb
quote:
I remember Alfie's as well. There used to be one in Bryan back in the late 60's/early 70's. In fact the building is still there - It's now the home of Roadrunner Auto Sales, across the street from Readfield Meats (you can still see the faux Old English timber frame facade if you look close enough).
Got to go find my cane and get ready for my nap. Feeling kind of old..
jrhmc
AG
Ditto the one at Cotton Patch.
halibut sinclair
Apparently there is still an Alfie's in Texas City.
Ric Clark
Ship Wreck,,,,
AggiePhil
AG
Just remembered that DQ now has a decent fish 'n chips. Not in the same league as Madden's but it's actually halfway decent.
Picadillo
Cotton Patch has the malted vinegar you can drizzle over it. They do a good job and serve enough to split w someone else
eloc62
if you you don't use the malt vinegar, you are not eating true fish n chips.
FlyRod
FWIW, read a review of Zand's Persian Kebabs on Yelp that praised their fish and chips. The chef apparently worked in Ireland and learned to make them there.
phatpat21
Ketchup>malt vinegar
Goose83
AG
quote:
Apparently there is still an Alfie's in Texas City.
That was apparently the original flagship store. A second store also survives in Lompoc, California:

http://www.alfiesfish.com/

Alfie's started in 1969 as a franchise. Opening hundreds of stores in the first few years was too much, too fast. The Alfie's corporation went bankrupt in 1972. Since then each store has been family owned and operated. The first Alfie's is still there in Texas City, Texas (near Galveston). The Lompoc location (#27!) was opened in 1969 by a Scottish couple Jack & Margaret Cairney. They passed it on to their daughter Colleen Staffel. In 2001, Colleen sold the business to Mike and Nellie Sewall. They have been successful at keeping the quaint English cottage feel and family atmosphere. They even kept all the original recipes while adding many of their own.
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
FWIW, read a review of Zand's Persian Kebabs on Yelp that praised their fish and chips. The chef apparently worked in Ireland and learned to make them there.

thanks for the tip! I'm going to give them a try...maybe 1 order of fish n chips and 1 of kebabs.

Kluay Kluay was the last hole in the wall we tried and did not disappoint! Outstanding Thai food.

Hope everyone is safe! crazy weather.
91_Aggie
AG
Ugh... that malt vinegar smells like old, stale beer... not sure how people can stomach that.
Post removed:
by user
biobioprof
quote:
Boneheads has a decent fish in chips.
The one time I tried them they were more like fish sticks than what I think of as fish and chips. Boneheads uses pollock. Classic fish and chips are cod or haddock.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.