Where Is All The Retail In West Bryan?

5,814 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SARATOGA
CWIsom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When Walmart came in a lot of things were announced. Where is all that now? We are in dire need as Blinn's new campus and numerous other developments are going to be here in the near future. I have heard talk of numerous fast food and retail but not much else.
rc_cat
Probably not the same area but I'm amazed something food-wise hasn't gone up on 47 near the HSC. I would think a place with a drive through would do good business - the stuff at the WM plaza is the closest as far as I know.
Picadillo
We need a Taco Bell next to the HSC
carpe vinum
AG
I think some of those initial announcements saw how hot Towerpoint/Caprock are and diverted. Petsmart was slated for that Walmart area and instead moved on Towerpoint. I think it will get the development in the coming years, but the Towerpoint demographics and projected growth are second to none in the area.
dgonzo99
I have heard several businesses are still going in over there, but they are waiting for Blinn construction to get farther along. Land clearing and utility construction for Blinn started a few weeks ago. Supposedly, HEB is going in close to Blinn along with apartments. Had heard a hotel was going to be built somewhere north of Walmart. I am sure it won't take long for retail to follow all the residential construction. 600 homes are going to be built just west of Walmart. Close to 60 homes have already been sold in the last couple of months, some of them not even built yet. Traditions is expanding like crazy. And the only 4 star hotel in this area is being built at Traditions.
jac4
AG
It's all going to Century Square
CWIsom
Yeah we are building in the area and work fairly close also... Just wish something would materialize so we don't have to drive to other side of town for everything!
Ornlu
AG
I've heard the same. Still coming, but is delayed until blinn gets rolling.
carpe vinum
AG
Given the "political" climate Blinn is facing, I wouldn't be surprised if they put the new campus on hold.
dgonzo99
quote:
Given the "political" climate Blinn is facing, I wouldn't be surprised if they put the new campus on hold.
They are clearing land and doing utility work right now, so I don't think so. They just got P&Z to OK the plans. I don't think they would being all that for nothing. Bryan Blinn is the huge bright spot, bringing in tons of money. Brenham Blinn is struggling. The other campus on Villa Maria is getting a makeover too. The new campus is a home run for the system, plain and simple.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
agreed, that thing is getting built regardless.
bcstx06
quote:
I think some of those initial announcements saw how hot Towerpoint/Caprock are and diverted. Petsmart was slated for that Walmart area and instead moved on Towerpoint. I think it will get the development in the coming years, but the Towerpoint demographics and projected growth are second to none in the area.
I think that is what happened. Even that Saltgrass was supposed to be built near the Bryan Target. Over the years, Bryan has lost tons of retail to College Station. Businesses that have been in Bryan for years have packed up and now claim College Station, even many resedence. One recent business leaving Bryan for College Station is Chad Jones Law. Chad Jones Law has a new building finishing up near Texas ENT (another former Bryan business).

Not to say that Bryan is doing bad, it's not at all, but as fast as the city of Bryan is growing, I don't think the city is doing enough to attract retail along with it.
Frio Cielo
Most stores, especially the national brands, are going to located where the demographics and # of cars traveling in the area indicate is the best locations to locate for their type of business.

To me, The Rock Prairie and Tower Point areas would be far superior to the west Bryan due to a number of factors. One, the large number of new homes and subdivisions in south College Station and the southern Brazos county areas gives a large potential customer base. Secondly, the Rock Prairie and Tower Point areas have great exposure to travelers going up and down Hwy 6 that the west Bryan area doesn't have. Thirdly, when large employers such as Baylor Scott and White are opened t tends to fuel increased interest in an area by other businesses. The development activity tends to fuel its own growth.

As Wellborn road gets widened more and more and more residential and student housing is developed in that direction, you will see the more and more commercial building southward down Wellborn Road.

For example, You would think that West Bryan might be the best area for the next Whataburger to go in? Not there.
AggieJason
AG
quote:
...Towerpoint demographics and projected growth are second to none in the area.
This right here.

Families in a nice residential area with booming growth > students & business in an ugly area of town.
Scotch
AG
Bryan has nice, controlled growth on both the east and west sides of town. Businesses will follow, but patience is a virtue. I'm not sure if the terms of Walmart lease would prevent it, but a CVS or Walgreens would kill it at Rudder's Landing near Jaguar and Villa Maria.
RafterAg223
AG
If Walmart has a pharmacy, you can pretty much bet your last dollar that there is a restrictive covenant against any retail pharmacy in the entire development.
REComBKR85
Demand is pretty limited in this area, its going to be a while.
SARATOGA
West Bryan (Including Traditions) have plenty of money to match up with Towerpoint.

But Towerpoint is on the highway, and the best way to get to West Bryan involves a helicopter.

The lack of traffic planning in this town remains to be astounding. No good way (see no stoplights and reasonable speed limits) to get east/west. Bryan has this problem. College Station's is worse.
dgonzo99
It just takes a while. It took 20 years for South CS to get retail.
CS78
quote:
Jaguar and Villa Maria.

There's your problem right there, you see.
RafterAg223
AG
This just isn't true about West Bryan money matching that of Tower Point. The actual demographic numbers prove that. There is a huge disparity in income in the 1 and 3 mile radius for both trade areas. I've seen both and it's just a fact, sorry.
carpe vinum
AG
The Towerpoint 3 mile is ridiculous and growing.
dgonzo99
Actually, the area around the new Stella 4 star hotel is where the high end retail. is planned. That area connects with Traditions. Traditions is expanding like crazy.
RafterAg223
AG
We'll see what high end retail Atlas and the Stella actually draws. If Northpoint Crossing and Century Square are battling to ink tenants at main and main, good luck drawing tenants to a hotel neighbored by sham businesses in the bio-corridor and one high end neighborhood with a few hundred rooftops in it.
Scotch
AG
Bryan is not growing at fast as South CS, but it's funny that the CSers feel the need to discount what is occurring in Bryan. East Bryan is quietly adding hundreds of rooftops, of high quality, and I'd bet that when the area south of Bryan Towne Center finally develops, say in 6-8 years, it will have been worth the wait.

On the west there are hundreds of respectable houses planned and or being built, deliberate but continuous development in Traditions, and plenty of areas ripe for upgrades/redevelopment (think the above mentioned Jaguar).

Downtown Bryan and the areas surrounding it are also seeing new development and Northgate spillover is upgrading(usually) the areas on the north end of Boyett and off Old College and S. College around Chicken Oil Co.

West Bryan, improving.
East Bryan, improving.
Downtown Bryan, improving.
South Central Bryan, improving.

Bryan will be just fine, thank you.
carpe vinum
AG
I've never discounted Bryan, I was singing the praises consistently when Bryan was kicking CS ass the past several years on development.
I observed businesses slated for Bryan shift South, and I've observed the demographics. You of all people know what takes place here.
Scotch
AG
I don't have a problem with what you have said or the tone of it either, carpe vinum, facts are facts. Others (David 365, CS78) took a distinctly negative tone for seemingly no other reason than to bash Bryan.

quote:
You of all people know what takes place here.
I do? News to me.
carpe vinum
AG
Well, I used to read your posts on the Houston Development site when it was fairly active. You've always been accurate regarding development here. I always figured you were in the development game.
Scotch
AG
Ah, I only wish I was a developer. I'm simply a dreamer.
carpe vinum
AG
I'm in that game and I usually have to keep my mouth shut by nondisclosure agreement. You're more accurate than most. Vern is the most accurate to date though.
halibut sinclair
Scotch
REComBKR85
quote:
West Bryan (Including Traditions) have plenty of money to match up with Towerpoint.

But Towerpoint is on the highway, and the best way to get to West Bryan involves a helicopter.

The lack of traffic planning in this town remains to be astounding. No good way (see no stoplights and reasonable speed limits) to get east/west. Bryan has this problem. College Station's is worse.

Agree with you on the traffic issue, access to West Bryan is tough. Compare the demographics, you will see the disparity in the population density and incomes when comparing South CS to West Bryan....its not close. Granted, their are some higher incomes in traditions, but not enough to make any real difference. Many of the homes in traditions are second homes as well.

carpe vinum
AG
all true
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:

Agree with you on the traffic issue, access to West Bryan is tough. Compare the demographics, you will see the disparity in the population density and incomes when comparing South CS to West Bryan....its not close. Granted, their are some higher incomes in traditions, but not enough to make any real difference. Many of the homes in traditions are second homes as well.

That doesn't really matter. Bryan is older and more established, so yeah if you draw a big circle it will include some lower incomes. Same can be said for older parts of CS, too.
Frio Cielo
quote:
quote:
quote:

That doesn't really matter. Bryan is older and more established, so yeah if you draw a big circle it will include some lower incomes. Same can be said for older parts of CS, too.

Absolutely true, but the discussion essentially was comparing the demographic makeup of south College Station around Tower Point and West Bryan., not the older areas of CS. In would suspect there's more discretionary incomes in both Pebble Creek or Castlegate alone than all of Traditions subdivision and the nearby subdivisions. Adding the other dozen or two subdivisions going in the south College Station area and the nearness of Navasota about 15 minitues away, you can easily see why the national retails are going that direction.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.