Warning: Tan van with black windows approached a child and offered a ride

4,433 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BrandoC
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The following was posted to NextDoor for a neighborhood in south College Station. The author gave me permission to repost here. Please remind your kids to never get in the car with strangers! CSPD has been notified and is on the watch for this vehicle.

quote:
'I apologize for the length of this post, but I want to alert you to an incident that happened to my 11 year old as he walked to the bus stop this morning. Between 7:15-7:20 a.m., he was walking down our street toward the bus stop. We live in Estates at Creek Meadows. A champagne/gold/tan colored van with windows PAINTED black (not tinted black) pulled up beside him. An older white female with wavy/curly hair leaned out the window and said to him, "Hey baby, you need a ride?" He told her, "No," and kept walking. He said he did not recognize her from our neighborhood. She offered again to give him a ride and said, "Come on; it'll be fun. I'll take you to wherever you are trying to go." He declined again, and by now was starting to get scared. She encouraged him to get in the van a third time, asking if he was sure he did not want a ride. He again told her, "No," and she eventually pulled off.

He was very disturbed by this incident and is concerned for other kids in the neighborhood. This may be an instance of someone being well-intentioned, but I believe most well-intentioned parents trying to help a kid running late to the bus stop would not try to persuade him/her to get in a strange vehicle with PAINTED BLACK windows after they have repeatedly declined the offer.

I am so thankful that he made the RIGHT decision and did not get in the vehicle. I am sharing this because I know several children in our neighborhood and surrounding ones walk or bike to and from school or the bus stop by themselves. I would hate for this to happen to another person's child so please encourage your babies to be alert as they go to school or even play in the neighborhood. I have reported this incident to the local police, and they are going to try and watch for similar suspicious activity."
aggiepaintrain
AG
thanks for the info.
I've got some hollow points ready for them
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
That's scary. Thanks for the heads up. Always reminding my son of things like this but having it happen is eye opening.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
thanks for the info.
I've got some hollow points ready for them
i'll pitch in for you to buy more.

they were not well-intentioned. i can almost guarantee that.
Oogway
Thank you very much for posting this here. I have warned my family to be on the lookout and reminded the kiddos to be wary.
The more eyes and ears in our community the better.
Rockdoc
AG
Thanks for posting. Can someone explain what nextdoor is for us old geezers. I'd like to have access to neighborhood news.
fcag
AG
It's kind of like Facebook for neighborhoods.
momlaw
AG
I think it is more like Texags for neighborhoods. My recollection is HOA and CSPD sent out invitations to opt in.

We receive emails and aggregations of daily activity for both immediate neighborhood and many in far south College Station. Everything from lost or found this or that to classifieds.

No clue how to opt in.

edit to correct tired.

Check out nextdoor.com this one is for Pebble Creek. There is an option for nearby neighborhoods to be included in distribution.

Again, clueless on how to get in to system.
fcag
AG
You get an invite from your neighbors. That's how I got on NextDoor.

It's very handy. One night our Yorkie slipped out the gate and went missing. Posted on NextDoor and she was located in less than five minutes.
Tailgate88
AG
You can join NextDoor without getting an invite.

https://help.nextdoor.com/customer/en/portal/articles/805001-joining-nextdoor?b_id=98

quote:
Nextdoor is the private social network for you, your neighbors and your community. It's the easiest way for you and your neighbors to talk online and make all of your lives better in the real world. And it's free.

To join Nextdoor on a web browser:

• Visit nextdoor.com, enter your email address, street address*, and zip code, and click GET STARTED -- IT'S FREE.

• If there is already a Nextdoor website for your neighborhood, you will automatically be directed to that neighborhood.
    • If there is not yet a Nextdoor website for your neighborhood, you'll be given the option to create one.
  • If you received an invitation to join Nextdoor, follow the special link on your invitation to create your account.
NOTE: Nextdoor does not support the use of P.O. Boxes. Members must join using their physical address. If you don't receive mail at your physical address, we do offer alternative options for verifying your address.
ringrit
There was a message on the NextDoor sight for the North Bryan neighborhood just north of my neighborhood for the same thing. This one happened around the Navarro Elementary school area on Monday around 5:30pm. They didn't specify that it was a van and it was a little boy who was approached in this case.

So, either we have a LOT of creepers in Bryan/College Station or there is one person in particular that is driving around.

The neighbor in the North Bryan incident DID call the police, so hopefully they are on alert!
Stupe
S
Something similar to that happened at Rock Prairie a month or so back.
BrandoC
AG
Stand out in the yard when goes by with shotgun in the hand.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.