Home Warranty Recommendation?

2,130 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Midtown SAHD
CatPit1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thinking about buying one of those home warranties to cover any mishaps with our aging HVAC this Summer, plus we're on year 21 for a limping water heater.....any recommendations on companies to consider? There seem to be a ton of them out there selling home warranties, but I'm sure some are really good and others not so much... Feedback welcomed!

Gig 'Em
75AG
AG
I've had them in the past, so I have a little experience. First, they will likely send a repairman from a company that you've never heard of. Second, they will replace ONLY the broken part. Third, they will use the cheapest possible replacement parts.

If this is a home that you're planning to keep, I would stick with a local, reputable firm. Will be more expensive on the front end, but you'll save long term.

Edit for: I had American Home Shield.
aggiepaintrain
AG
only the element is covered in hot water heaters

I have choice home Warranty, it was a lot cheaper than most and the service call is $45.
they are all a hassle to deal with but I've found choice is decent. I paid like $250 a year for 4 years, I'm waaaay ahead
AgResearch
AG
Don't waste your money. Put the money a warranty would cost each year and a small amount each month in a savings account. Then come here for recommendations for good, local repair places if you ever need it.

Home warranties are a joke.
The Anchor
AG
^depends on the situation. I'd say the OP will likely benefit from one.
Frio Cielo
I have had them off and on for many years when I purchased a house.

My main comment is on the CHVAC system. One, they will limit the # of pounds of Freon that is under the warranty. My last service was due to a leak and I think that the warranty company only paid $20 per pound for the first 10 pounds and it required something like 20 pounds at a cost of $60/#. I ended up paying righty at $400.

Having said that, if you are buying a house with an old CHVAC system I would do three things. One, negotiate ;with the sellers if you can to reduce the sales price or give you $2,000 concessions towards your closing costs due to the age of the CHVAC system. Two, get the home warranty for one or two years to cover a major crashing of the system after closing. Three, put aside the $50 or so a month that you would pay the warranty company so that a few years from then you have a need.
MightyDuck
If you get the warranty AND your HVAC goes out AND they decide to cover it then they still have a cap on their liability of a few thousand dollars. So good luck.
BeenSent
AG
I have had great luck with LANDMARK HOME WARRANTY -- I have used them for about 15 years and I am way ahead if you tally the premiums I have paid and the repairs and replacements they have done. They have replaced my a/c twice, 3 water heaters; a dishwasher, double electric ovens, electrical issues and plumbing problems. So, far (knock on wood) it has been a much better investment for me than putting the 55 per month in savings.... I have the deluxe coverage so everything from the garage door to the a/c and both water heaters are covered.

and PS - there was no "cap" on my a/c units - they replaced it with equal quality but never a discussion about "caps" in fact -- that one year my water heater went out, had a plumbing issue, and something else -- never a discussion on "caps" to my coverage.
"Around our house, dog hair is a condiment." Westminster Dog Show, 2008
SumAggie
home "warranties", like "extended warranties" on a lot of things sold are a total waste of money. A rip off.
MsC2012
AG
Had some friends recently buy a house... AC checked out fine, was cleaned and serviced right before they moved in. They went this weekend and it won't turn on... Luckily they have a home warranty so their service fee is only $60! They are with Old Republic.

Don't use Fidelity, they are atrocious!
313-7-12thMan
OP, with regard to your handle... You ever spend time in Stephenville?
Bill Robbins
AG
I recommend Old Republic.
Midtown SAHD
I've currently got Old Republic. They are awful. The home warranty has paid for itself but there are some infuriating caveats and limitations. For instance, Old Republic says only they can order parts, so if your AC goes out and needs a new coil, the AC guy can't just get one off his truck or order it from Houston, OR has to order it and ship it to the AC provider. Same thing goes for plumbing, etc... Only small parts can be provided by the worker. Mostly, it's not an issue, but when something important goes out, you aren't getting it replaced in a timely manner.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.