Bryan City Councilman Rafael Pena III was named in a police report

20,894 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Rudybryan
Rudybryan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EXCLUSIVE: Bryan councilman accused of assaulting pregnant woman

KBTX has learned taken last month at a home in Bryan. In the report, a pregnant woman he personally knows told officers that Pena assaulted her during an argument the two were having.

Can't wait for the 6 o'clock news.....breaking story below

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/EXCLUSIVE-Bryan-councilman-accused-of-assaulting-pregnant-woman-377854581.html

PS3D
Considering his side of the story hasn't been heard, this could either be legitimate or they're crucifying a local politician on a slow news day.

I'll wait, but he's probably guilty in the end.
FlyRod
According to what I saw on KBTX there wasn't arrest made. So it's curious why this surfaced now. The charges sounded horrible...but no arrest? Hmmmm.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
News just said "in violation of city charter." What could that be?
Rudybryan
quote:
According to what I saw on KBTX there wasn't arrest made. So it's curious why this surfaced now. The charges sounded horrible...but no arrest? Hmmmm.
see KBTX at 10pm
halibut sinclair
Is this pregnant woman in question his "wife" (the mother of his current child) or some side squeeze?
Rapier108
quote:
News just said "in violation of city charter." What could that be?
KBTX just said it is because he is no longer living in his home that is within his district and hasn't within 6 months. The house looks like a total dump. Moving out is considered an automatic resignation. The city council will have to decide if he is to be removed from the council.

From everything said, it sounds like the woman is not his wife, but it is his kid.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Wow!!! Lol. Another "the rules don't apply to me" politician. Wasn't southerland involved, not romantically, with a woman who lied about her residence?
nashvilleaggie11
Very interesting. Good for KBTX for finding the discrepancy in the address on the police report. My theory? He and his wife have separated and he is living with his mistress who is currently pregnant with his child. Oh the drama...
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Wow!!! Lol. Another "the rules don't apply to me" politician. Wasn't southerland involved, not romantically, with a woman who lied about her residence?
Yes. She lived out in Kurten instead of Bryan.
Rudybryan
quote:
Later Monday, Pena released a statement. Because of News 3's policy not to identify the person who police say made the allegations, we have only edited Pena's statement in order to adhere to that policy.
"I love (the woman and child in the report) very much and would never put them in harms way," Pena's statement reads. "I vehemently deny the allegations in this news story. I would never put (those people) at risk. Our Faith guides us in this troubling time. We thank you for all your prayers."
In addition, Pena sent a statement he says is from the woman listed in the police report as the victim. It reads that she never said Pena hit her, and that she loves him very much.

The way this statement reads....1) my guess its his wife (2) typical of a man that commits domestic violence to scare the woman and have her drop charges etc.....LUCKLY for the general public the new domestic violence law the victim doesn't have to testify and the city attorneys or DA office can bring the case to court anyway. So intimidation no longer works to save their a$$.

FlyRod
How does the residency requirement work if you have multiple residences? The mayor has a house in Conroe; is he required to spend a certain amount of time in Bryan (or surrounding area)?
isitjustme
AG
quote:
How does the residency requirement work if you have multiple residences? The mayor has a house in Conroe; is he required to spend a certain amount of time in Bryan (or surrounding area)?
Nice try. You can have as many vacation homes as you want. You can have only one primary residence. There is a big difference between residing somewhere and visiting somewhere - but you already know that.
FlyRod
FlyRod
There are people with multiple residences, not vacation homes, who divide their time in residence based on the nature of their jobs. My question was whether the city explicitly requires "year round" residency, or a minimum number of weeks/months in residence.
rhoswen
AG
Its also a possibility she *said* he assaulted her because she was angry, when in reality no such thing occurred. I've seen that happen with BSC girls more times than I count on two hands.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
There are people with multiple residences, not vacation homes, who divide their time in residence based on the nature of their jobs. My question was whether the city explicitly requires "year round" residency, or a minimum number of weeks/months in residence.
This is another house in the same city, not a vacation home or a residence for an out of town job.
halibut sinclair
Looks like the pregnant woman in question was, in fact, Pena's wife:

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/bryan-city-councilman-pena-speaks-out-against-report-of-assault/article_ee7a4aeb-3eec-532c-bc3a-6bda9207507f.html
dgonzo99
I am just trying to give Pena the benefit of the doubt. If he is having work done on his house, does he have any physical documentation such as receipts, contracts, and/or cancelled checks to prove his claim? Just wondering. That just protects you if something goes wrong with the work. You have the physical proof that the work was done. Just wondering.
duffelpud
AG
At least he wasn't sitting on a stump in the front yard drinking a beer when the police arrived.
Jrod_2002
AG
Here's what I am wondering, why call a press conference if you are not going to answer any questions from said press? Why not just release a statement?
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Here's what I am wondering, why call a press conference if you are not going to answer any questions from said press? Why not just release a statement?
Yeah. The Eagle said Pena gave 30 minutes notice before his press conference. Sounds like he has something to hide, imo.
ksp
Politician in trouble with the law? Never seen dat befo!
carpe vinum
AG
Well that doesn't sound good. There seems to be video.

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Stomach-turning-video-could-shed-more-light-on-allegations-against-City-Councilman-378183071.html
techno-ag
AG
Whoa. Dashcam video and audio from a police car.
carpe vinum
AG
Still can't figure why if things were as are alleged there isn't an ongoing investigation or charges. My understanding is PDs err on the side of caution in favor of the victim and let the courts figure it out.
Maybe poor behavior, but not technically illegal. Sounds like his biggest problem is where he lives vs. his district boundary. Bad deal, I hope they get it all worked out in the best interest of the kid(s).
BlueMiles
AG
If there was no assault, did someone file a false report?
Belton Ag
AG
From the Eagle report:

quote:
Maraiah Pena said Tuesday that the stress she's been under caused by outside threats made against her family "reached a head" that day, saying it "was just too much to bear, with not feeling safe to worrying about the safety of my son and unborn child."
quote:
The pair declined to answer questions.
What threats? Why make this vague statement about threats to the family and then not elaborate?

This reeks of a shady small town politician trying to scam his way through elected government. It's the kind of crap Bryan doesn't need.
FlyRod
Lots of speculation and hearsay surrounding this story, and very little in the way of facts and details provided concerning the incident under question, the recording, and the residency kerfuffle. Hopefully some definitive answers will be forthcoming soon so the city can move on.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Exactly!!! This is still a small town and our elected officials need to be above reproach. They are men and women who we go to church with, join civic groups with and break bread with. I'm getting tired of the garbage and it comes down to there are several on that board that I can shake hands with and know they are good and honest people. There are others that ain't worth squat. I am not a saint and at times I can be a crappy person but bottom line I know a good person when I meet one.

Sorry, time to get off the soapbox.
techno-ag
AG
It's on the agenda tonight.
http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/bryan-city-council-rafael-pena-s-residency-status-on-agenda/article_ebb2515e-166d-11e6-9560-e3a76efa7122.html

The council has requested extra security tonight.
http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Increased-security-requested-for-Bryan-City-Council-meeting-378798521.html

Bienski has suggested Pena resign. I agree, that's probably Pena's most honorable course of action.

FlyRod
The best course of action is to let all the facts and details finally get settled by all the appropriate parties, a process that is still in motion.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
The best course of action is to let all the facts and details finally get settled by all the appropriate parties, a process that is still in motion.
Unfortunately, that may never happen. Pena is fighting tooth and nail to prevent release of the video.
FlyRod
I'm optimistic the truth will eventually come out, and the issues involved are too serious to rush to judgement before all the facts are exposed.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
I'm optimistic the truth will eventually come out, and the issues involved are too serious to rush to judgement before all the facts are exposed.
Well certainly several facts have been exposed, so judgement time will come tonight at the council meeting.

Fact - CM Pena has not been living in his residence the last 6 months.

He's admitted this. His reasons sound fishy. He says he was making improvements to his residence on Sandy Point Rd., so he and his wife moved in with his mother. However, there have been no permits filed, and the neighbors haven't seen any contractors there. He says he's been doing minor repairs himself like patching holes in the wall that don't require a permit. But if the work is so minor, there should be no reason to move out for half a year. I've had houses with new roofs, floors, and painting done all at the same time, and not moved out. Doesn't pass the smell test, and it will be up to Council tonight to make a good decision about this.

Fact - his wife filed a police report on him and claimed he slammed her against the wall (bear in mind, she's pregnant too). She later said she did not want to press charges, but unless she made a false police report, it is a fact that he threw her against the wall.

Fact - police video and audio shows at least part of the domestic disturbance. Mayor Bienski has seen the video and indicated it was troublesome. It's so bad, Pena wishes to squash it so it never sees the light of day. All the local media have asked for it, and the powers that be are checking with the AG to see if they can keep it out of the media's hands. Obviously, it stands to reason that it does not show Pena in the best light, so the fact remains he wishes to suppress it.

How many more facts do we need? There's enough facts that council will meet and discuss these issues in executive session. My earlier point stands. In my opinion the most honorable thing for CM Pena to do in light of all these facts is to resign.

I just hope the council tonight has the gumption to address these facts, and help convince him to do the honorable thing.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.