Southerland & Traditions

4,874 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FlyRod
Schrute Farms
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can someone break down the situation between Councilman Southerland, Traditions, and the City of Bryan?

It sounds like he is accusing the city of misappropriating funds into Traditions but all requested documents have shown otherwise.

Just seems like an odd fight to pick and I'm not understanding situation.
Tailgate88
FlyRod
The "Mad Mike" haterade should be flowing any moment now...
Scotch
AG
I think he is mad that Traditions will end up making the city countless millions of dollars, his no-growth mindset can't comprehend it.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Good question.
Bryanisbest
AG
Schrute Farms
I get the personal disdain for him. Unfortunately, those are the only answers I receive when asking people in person as well.

I'm trying to understand the accusation against the city - is the money going to Traditions supposed to be going to other areas (such as the flooded portions)? What is the supposed 'outrage'?
Ornlu
AG
This is kinda where it started: http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/bryan-councilmen-believe-traditions-club-agreements-should-be-reviewed/article_9a3d9f4a-b8ee-11e5-81bc-0749b2c82091.html

Here's my theory: Southerland thinks one of the council members (Bienski, Hardeman, or Owens) personally made millions from Traditions, and had to short change the city in order to make their personal millions. In Southerland's disillusion world, the City should have been able to sell that 999 acres x ~$200k an acre = $197M back in 2001 because that's what it's worth right now in 2016. Instead, the city sold the 999 acres for $7M because it was raw land and has since had about $190M of development happen on it. Southerland blames the rest of the council for "losing" $190M - because he doesn't understand the fundamentals of how development works.
Ornlu
AG
quote:
The "Mad Mike" haterade should be flowing any moment now...
If you're pro-Southerland, do you care to explain how his stance on this particular issue helps his constituents or the City?
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Please remove or flag if you want but this topic got me thinking of something else. Is there a way to find out what districts provide the city in tax dollars vs. the amount of money the city provides these districts through things like road improvements to police calls or dispatches?
Schrute Farms
Thank You!
GSS
quote:
Can someone break down the situation between Councilman Southerland, Traditions, and the City of Bryan?

It sounds like he is accusing the city of misappropriating funds into Traditions but all requested documents have shown otherwise.

Just seems like an odd fight to pick and I'm not understanding situation.

Maybe not misappropriating funds, just CoB maybe being obfuscate in their description of costs. Has Traditions generated any $$ for CoB directly? Nope, it's all going to retire development debt and related costs...which should be a $$ figure readily reported, versus "some of the cost is buried in old files not readily available, so just trust us..."
So the "requested documents" have not been seen, just what the city has chosen to discuss.

Indirectly, Traditions has certainly spurred development in the area, but the benefit value will vary, depending on who is doing the talking, and the geography involved.

Meanwhile, ANY city services provided to Traditions comes from Bryan's General Funds (non-Traditions taxpayers).

The water usage for more than a decade (until recently, primarily potable water, even during a drought...millions of gallons) has been dismissed as "dwelling in the past...", but when Traditions was proposed, potable water use was to be the backup...nice selling point, just untrue.

Incentives when not needed, bailouts for defaults, delayed (or cancelled) developments...all have made Traditions a heavier tax burden than originally planned/proposed.

Maybe Southerland is trying to advocate "
"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."....but lacks some style points in trying to accomplish same
FlyRod
I'm neutral on Southerland. But it's no secret that people have chosen sides over the years between him and Bienski, and the moment his name is mentioned in any context, the "Mad Mike" epithet appears like clockwork.

Very good thoughts, GSS.
wysiwyg
AG
I supported Mike in his first election. However, ever since being elected Mike has changed. He seems to be fueled by continuous outrage at something or another and seems to thrive on petty conspiracy theories and creating strife. I just don't get it. I thought he would be a good leader, but I think he's basically just a bully looking for a fight.
SumAggie
most people fail to realize that the taxpayer benefits from these "public/private" deals and "special" tax abatements by having a lot less money in their pocket which makes it easier to get around.... They are ALL ponzi schemes using phony economics.
Bryanisbest
AG
Bryan desparately needs the kind of growth Miramont and Traditions have provided. Although Traditions itself with its subsidies may not be a money maker, the tax base growth stimulated around it will be. It was the nucleus for growth on southwest side of Bryan. Good move by the city
dgonzo99
Traditions is the best thing that has ever happened to Bryan. The average home at Traditions brings in about 2,000 a month in taxes. How much do homes in North Bryan bring in a month? That is where Mike wants to send all the taxes we pay? Why isn't he working on deals for that part of Bryan, instead of complaining about Traditions?
pacecar02
If traditions is a TIRZ zone how does it help the rest of Bryan if that tax money is only spent in Traditions?

The surrounding areas that were sub 350K dollar homes will go up? So then the increase in tax revenue the city draws is from home owners without a Club membership?

Seems kinda wonky if you ask me
Rapier108
quote:
Traditions is the best thing that has ever happened to Bryan. The average home at Traditions brings in about 2,000 a month in taxes. How much do homes in North Bryan bring in a month? That is where Mike wants to send all the taxes we pay? Why isn't he working on deals for that part of Bryan, instead of complaining about Traditions?
His two allies on the council represent North Bryan, and are constantly whining that they don't get enough money in their districts.

God forbid they get one more buddy on the council because Bryan would be screwed.

Southerland is just our local version of Trump.
GSS
quote:
So the average home in Traditions brings in $24,000/yr in taxes??????? Source for this claim? With numbers like that, Traditions might actually start adding to the CoB general fund ahead of schedule, versus all taxes going to the TIRZ debt. Meanwhile, the poors in north Bryan just have to hope the subsidies to Traditions end sooner.

Bryanisbest
Bryanisbest
Rudybryan
quote:
quote:
His two allies on the council represent North Bryan, and are constantly whining that they don't get enough money in their districts.

God forbid they get one more buddy on the council because Bryan would be screwed.

Southerland is just our local version of Trump.
The news today we have Pena who has been accused of committing domestic violence......

They would have more money available if Mike would quit spending it on BS.......he just trying to find some crumb to help him become mayor......

His actions in the last council meeting makes me wonder if he is stable.....he needs some anger management classes.

Anyone know why Mike isn't serving as Bryan City representative to the board of the Brazos Valley Veterans Park that he was appointed to?
Scoopen Skwert
AG
What happened at the meeting?
Rudybryan
quote:
What happened at the meeting?

Video of Bryan Council Meeting

see for yourself
Rapier108
Wonder how long until Southerland and Pena claim it is a conspiracy.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Thank you. . while watching my wife made comments 2 times "that person sounds like a jerk" about 2 people. I won't say which two it was. Lol
Rudybryan
They already have.......
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Just heard "in violation of city charter." On kbtx. What could that be?
carpe vinum
AG
College Station will get a couple of these types now and then. It's moderately entertaining for a while then everyone sees it for what it is, counterproductive.
Rudybryan
quote:
Just heard "in violation of city charter." On kbtx. What could that be?
you are suppose to live in the district you represent......that is the only charter violation I can think of
techno-ag
AG
It's all good and fine to question things and make sure public money is spent wisely. But Southerland has gone too far and is wasting taxpayer money. He won't accept a CPA's audit, or the city staffers' numbers. Time for everybody to agree to disagree and move on. Traditions is one of the better things to happen in Bryan.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
How did Pena get elected? What the hell was he so stupidly offended by?
FlyRod
I can't imagine city council races are particularly competitive.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.