Looking for Local Gluten Free Items

2,672 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 75AG
meezermom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We've just found out that my husband has a gluten intolerance. I'm looking for a source of gluten-free grocery items, but the big stores (Kroger, HEB) don't seem to have much. I know there are companies that make gluten-free bread and pizza crust, tortillas, etc. but where can I find these things locally?
nwspmp
Taylor Made has a bakery that supplies a good breadth of items that are Gluten-free. I know Kroger has a rack of them, but their main office is on Texas near Villa Maria, across from Readfields if I recall correctly.

I'm not gluten free/celiac or even remotely gluten intolerant, but their brownies are pretty darned good.
K2T2
Village Foods!! They have lots of gluten free stuff, and they still sell the locally baked Taylor Made breads/treats They close early, so go right after work or on a Saturday or go hungry.

More on Village: Their new location is awesome, distilled true Village. Bright and neat and clean, and they sell freakin' Miyoko's vegan cheese!!! For 30% less than Whole Foods! Who need a WF when you have Village a bike ride from home?!

Edit: spelling
meezermom
Where is the new Village Foods? I just know it was in the old Appletree building on Briarcrest.
Kidwrangler
Directions are listed on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/villagefoods/
starbuck128
AG
In addition to Village Foods, the TP HEB carries a larger selection of gluten free compared to the other grocery stores in town. They have all the items you mentioned, I believe. They also carry some Taylor Made items in a freezer by the beer.
momlaw
AG
[url=http://share.here.com/r/mylocation/e-eyJuYW1lIjoiVmlsbGFnZSBGb29kcyAmIFBoYXJtYWN5IiwiYWRkcmVzcyI6IjMwMzAgRSAyOXRoIFN0LiwgU3RlIDEwMCwgQnJ5YW4sIFRleGFzIiwibGF0aXR1ZGUiOjMwLjY1NTM3NTc3NjU0NCwibG9uZ2l0dWRlIjotOTYuMzQyMzI5OTc4OTQzLCJwcm92aWRlck5hbWUiOiJmYWNlYm9vayIsInByb3ZpZGVySWQiOjIxNDc0MTgwNDU3Nn0=?link=addresses&fb_locale=en_US&ref=facebook][/url]Facebook page has map.
meezermom
We went to TP HEB yesterday and looked all down the bread aisle at both the bread side and the gluten-free tiny area but found nothing but some mixes for brownies, pancakes, etc. I'm really looking for burger buns, hot dog buns, and tortillas. Those little corn tortillas that come 12 to a bag just don't cut it for fajitas! They had some fresh corn tortillas and I got really excited, but they were corn/flour mix...
starbuck128
AG
Did you check out the gluten free frozen section? It's an endcap. I've seen pizza crusts and Udi hamburger buns there.
meezermom
Damn, I missed that -- I knew Udi's made stuff and was wondering why nobody carried it! I guess we'll have to go back. We did get an Udi's frozen pizza in the frozen pizza area.
F Troop91
GF items are spread throughout the store. We shop regularly at Kroger, Walmart, target, same club, village foods, heb, and brazos natural foods. All carry some gf foods.

Label reading is key. Many products like Fritos or Lay s potato chips are already gf.

Guerrero's corn tortillas are gf and taste good. Found at Walmart on tortilla aisle.

Udi's breads and buns are in refrigerated aisles at several stores.
Brewmaster
AG
depending on how intolerant he is, I highly recommend allergy drops... I developed allergy symptoms every time I eat anything with wheat (usually breads). These have really helped though, takes a couple weeks to really start working. I also have taken the Mold,Yeast, Dust one with great results.

Bioaller's Wheat and Grain Allergy Drops
LunitadelNox
Big recommend for Village Foods. My sister has celiac's disease, and I always shop there when I'm feeding her and her husband.

TP HEB has an okay selection. Both Kroger's in College Station are pretty lacking in the gluten-free, imo. (Although Longmire Kroger has good breakfast food selections).
meezermom
Thank you all so much -- I can't wait to head to Village Foods and see what we can find! I've been dying for burgers and sandwiches lately!
dubi
AG
buy a bread maker
jrhmc
AG
HEB Towerpoint has the Udi bread in the freezer section and it's pretty good. They also have some gluten free stuff scattered around in various places as well as the small section across from the regular bread aisle. You just have to read labels.
3 of our 5 family members have become very gluten sensitive over the last couple of years. We have spent a gazillion dollars on gf foods. Buying a bread machine is a great idea. It is a hassle but if you want something that tastes good, make it yourself. Next best thing is Schar brand which you can get at HEB. Now, HEB stupidly keeps the gf bread with the regular bread so depending on how sensitive you are, you might need to get someone else to pick it up for you. http://www.schar.com/
75AG
AG
The Celiac Disease Foundation should be able to help.
GSS
quote:
3 of our 5 family members have become very gluten sensitive over the last couple of years. We have spent a gazillion dollars on gf foods. Buying a bread machine is a great idea. It is a hassle but if you want something that tastes good, make it yourself. Next best thing is Schar brand which you can get at HEB. Now, HEB stupidly keeps the gf bread with the regular bread so depending on how sensitive you are, you might need to get someone else to pick it up for you. http://www.schar.com/

I thought you had to ingest gluten for a reaction, not just "have it in the area"?
jrhmc
AG
quote:
quote:

I thought you had to ingest gluten for a reaction, not just "have it in the area"?
If you have a gluten allergy then just like nuts or any other severe food allergy, you can't be in the same area with it. For some people with celiac disease, they can't have their food prepared with utensils that have also prepared food with gluten. It depends on the level of allergy. Most people are doing gluten free because of an intolerance or just it makes them feel better but with a true allergy (which is rare but not as rare as people used to think), you have to treat it just like any other food allergy.
PS3D
quote:
quote:
quote:

If you have a gluten allergy then just like nuts or any other severe food allergy, you can't be in the same area with it. For some people with celiac disease, they can't have their food prepared with utensils that have also prepared food with gluten. It depends on the level of allergy. Most people are doing gluten free because of an intolerance or just it makes them feel better but with a true allergy (which is rare but not as rare as people used to think), you have to treat it just like any other food allergy.
There is no such thing as a "gluten allergy". There is a wheat allergy, which triggers the same type of allergic reaction as anything else, and a gluten intolerance, which deals with ingestion and can negatively affect your body in terms of nutrient absorption, but not a "gluten allergy", which doesn't exist and is practically a giveaway that you're not sensitive to wheat or gluten at all. Convenient that your family became "gluten sensitive" just at the time gluten free foods started to become trendy, too.
PS3D-

To be clear, there is absolutely nothing convenient about being sensitive to gluten. Nothing.
PS3D
quote:
PS3D-

To be clear, there is absolutely nothing convenient about being sensitive to gluten. Nothing.

I didn't say some level of gluten sensitivity wasn't real, I was saying that it being "placed near bread" wasn't a problem, and just remarking on the odd timing of your newcome sensitivity.

No need to be so defensive.
"I was saying that it being "placed near bread" wasn't a problem"......

and you would be wrong about that, PS3D.
threecatcorner
whether you call it a wheat allergy or a gluten allergy, there are some people that are sensitive enough that the presence of any amount of gluten or wheat flour is a problem. It is possible for a little bit of flour to get on the outside of a package of bread. HEB probably did not think about that. If someone with a strong allergy explains it, maybe they would move it.
PS3D
quote:
whether you call it a wheat allergy or a gluten allergy, there are some people that are sensitive enough that the presence of any amount of gluten or wheat flour is a problem. It is possible for a little bit of flour to get on the outside of a package of bread. HEB probably did not think about that. If someone with a strong allergy explains it, maybe they would move it.
Well, which is it, a wheat allergy or a gluten intolerance? Wheat allergies have a allergic reaction regarding wheat and all that it touches (which can include hives, rashes, anything) while gluten intolerance (covering ANYTHING with gluten including barley) solely deals with digestion and problems associated that. A "gluten allergy", meanwhile, doesn't exist at all and any website you find Googling that term that isn't run by a charlatan can tell you that.
FlyRod
FWIW Wiki has quite an extensive page for "gluten related disorders." Allergies may be insignificant statistically, but it seems enough people are affected by a broad range of these disorders to make applying the charge "charlatinism" a tad dismissive.

Meaning demand for gluten free foods seems perfectly appropriate. I work with a gluten intolerant person who is one of the smartest people I know, and utterly dismissive of quackery and snake oil. He can't process gluten, period.
starbuck128
AG
You are missing the point. He said a gluten allergy doesn't exist, because it doesn't, therefore anyone claiming it is real is a charlatan. He didn't say gluten disorders don't exist.

A wheat allergy is one of the top 8 most common types of food allergy. It is an allergy the same as an allergy to nuts and shellfish. Celiac's is a digestive disorder. It will never, ever, ever cause a life threatening anaphylactic allergic reaction. It causes damage over time to the intestines.

I am lactose intolerant. I don't go around saying I have a dairy allergy.
Kidwrangler

quote:
You are missing the point. He said a gluten allergy doesn't exist, because it doesn't, therefore anyone claiming it is real is a charlatan. He didn't say gluten disorders don't exist.

I was going to post this, but instead, here is an informative explanation of "wheat allergy" by the American College of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology. The comparison of a wheat allergy to gluten-related issues is near the bottom. It has great advice on label-checking as well.

http://acaai.org/allergies/types/food-allergies/types-food-allergy/wheat-gluten-allergy

Note that they say persons with a wheat allergy can react from simple exposure to the product, much like nut allergies. In celiac disease, the gluten must be consumed to have its negative affect. At the bottom, it says this about "gluten allergy":

There is technically no such thing as an allergy to gluten, but some people who test negative for both celiac disease and a wheat allergy may be sensitive to gluten and experience symptoms such as diarrhea, constipation, abdominal pain or fatigue. These symptoms often dissipate when gluten is eliminated from the diet.

quote:

If a person's wheat allergy (vs gluten intolerance) was so severe that the possibility of being around packages of bread were a problem, how then would they check out at any grocery store or convenience store? Most counters have small packs of wheat based snacks within reach, including many made in the same bakeries as the bread (Mrs. Baird's fried pies, powdered donuts, etc.)

1.618 had the best solution for the person with that extreme type of wheat allergy when he/she said "depending on how sensitive you are, you might need to get someone else to pick it up for you." Personally, if I had a family member with a wheat allergy that severe, I would do all the shopping for them. If it was gluten sensitivity only, I wouldn't worry unnecessarily.

Please note that I said "personally".

Edit:
I'm adding another article from that association because I thought the following quote was important, especially for individuals who might not have had their "gluten allergy" verified by a doctor. It's important to get tested if symptoms warrant. You might actually have a wheat allergy!

http://acaai.org/news/defining-allergy-fact-fiction

7. I Can't have Bread, I'm Allergic to Gluten - You can have a gluten intolerance, but it's extremely rare to have a true allergy. Most allergic reactions to these foods stem from wheat. Many people self-label as having gluten allergy and avoid gluten without any medical indication.

FlyRod
quote:
You are missing the point.

Um, no. The OP wanted to know where gluten-free items were available. These have a market appeal to folks in the multiple categories of gluten disorders.

Turning the OP's request/thread into a diatribe on whether or not a gluten allergy exists is unhelpful.

Meezer, I hope your query was answered, and good luck in your search.
Tanya 93
I love how people think it is perfectly okay for a child to live with diarrhea, vomiting, eczema, and low growth simply so they claim there are no issues for people with gluten.

While I lived there, I found Village Foods and BNF foods as being the most helpful.

I know there is an Aldi being built, and they have good GF at a cheap price. The pretzels and pasta are good.

Good luck.

I have been doing GF for my son for almost 4 years.

One thing you will have to look out for is what goes into sauces in restaurants. You would be surprised how much wheat goes into many of them.

Melin88
quote:
I love how people think it is perfectly okay for a child to live with diarrhea, vomiting, eczema, and low growth simply so they claim there are no issues for people with gluten.

While I lived there, I found Village Foods and BNF foods as being the most helpful.

I know there is an Aldi being built, and they have good GF at a cheap price. The pretzels and pasta are good.

Good luck.

I have been doing GF for my son for almost 4 years.

One thing you will have to look out for is what goes into sauces in restaurants. You would be surprised how much wheat goes into many of them.

Tanya93, are you speaking of people in general? I wondered because I didn't see any claims by any poster in this thread that there are no issues for people with gluten.

That said, not only wheat but barley and rye are triggers, so eating out definitely can be a challenge. My sister is a chef and for some of her clientele, must be careful with brines and marinades commonly used to prepare grilled meats. Then there is the added problem of the wait staff knowing the basic ingredients of a dish, but not the binders in spice mixes or other hidden ingredients that could be a problem.

I'm happy to find Village Foods relocated rather than closing altogether. The linked information is helpful, too.
SumAggie
the entire world has lost its mind......
75AG
AG
This is what you get when the far right controls one party, and the far left the other. You get someone like Trump breaking through. And Bernie. The Dems are just lucky they had enough middle-of-the-road voters to keep Bernie from winning.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.