Children spend less time outside than prisoners.

2,510 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Goat Man
w8liftr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Given the downward trend in recess and physical education time in both Bryan and College Station ISDs, is it any surprise to see that a study found that prisoners in state and federal prisons get more time out side than our children?

Wildmen03
AG
quote:
Given the downward trend in recess and physical education time in both Bryan and College Station ISDs

You keep them locked inside when they are home too?
jja79
AG
My 13 year old did his home work then played 18 holes of golf after school yesterday. This is a home issue, not a school issue.
Tanya 93
quote:
Given the downward trend in recess and physical education time in both Bryan and College Station ISDs, is it any surprise to see that a study found that prisoners in state and federal prisons get more time out side than our children?

I think more recess and pe needs to be done in school.

But my son and I spent part of yesterday afternoon kicking a soccer ball around. He is trying to teach me his specialty moves.

Take your kids outside. Spend time doing stuff with them.
The Collective
AG
What do people expect? More and more families are living in bigger houses on near zero lot properties.
rhoswen
AG
More recess would be wonderful but they'd have to extend the school day. And from what I've seen that parents, especially with young ones, don't let their kids outside much. Germs, helicoptery, allergies, whatever the reason. Kids don't really run around unsupervised anymore like we did when we were kids. If the parent has to be outside too, dinner isn't getting made, laundry done, etc.
TXCityGirl
The elementary school I'm involved with has 30 minutes of recess and 30 minutes of PE each and every day in CSISD. After school electronic time is the most detrimental.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Was actually just having this discussion with my wife this morning.

I grew up right here in CSTAT and hate to sound like old man yelling at cloud but back when I was growing up we played outside after school almost every day. If we were new in neighborhoods we went and knocked on doors and asked if little timmy could come outside to play. There would be anywhere from 3-6 of us playing football, basketball, baseball, tag, or whatever.

Now, I live in a close lot neighborhood with plenty of kids and I RARELY see any kids playing outside. If I do, its just once in a while maybe a kid playing by himself shooting hoops outside in his own driveway. Kids just don't seem to play together outside that much anymore.

I'm not going to blame it all on technology but I definitely feel like it has something to do with it. Tablets, computers, phones, xbox etc are keeping a lot of kids inside and inactive etc...

Pretty sad actually.
starbuck128
AG
My husband and I both grew up here, and we are looking for a house to buy away from the college crowds (fast drivers on residential roads). The homes we grew up in are now in rental neighborhoods, but those houses have YARDS, with TREES. We are having a hard time finding a home in our price range with mature tree in the yard! I can't believe we have a city full of young kids who won't know what it's like to climb trees or build a treehouse. These homes just aren't built for spending time outside. They have play rooms and media rooms in place of a backyard.

Sure, once they are older, they may be able to go down to the neighborhood park unsupervised without someone calling CPS, but by then a precedent has been set. If kids aren't spending time outside when they are young, they probably aren't when they are older kids.
TAMU1990
AG
After school activities have taken the place of playing outside.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
It is not the school district's responsibility to get kids to be active outdoors.

They provide time for them during the school day to get some exercise. If that's all your child receives each day.....who's fault is that?
jrhmc
AG
There are kids playing outside every day in my neighborhood. They scatter whenever I have to drive down the street. I think it depends on your neighborhood. We're in Shenandoah and kids are everywhere!
ksp
quote:
quote:

I think more recess and pe needs to be done in school.

But my son and I spent part of yesterday afternoon kicking a soccer ball around. He is trying to teach me his specialty moves.

Take your kids outside. Spend time doing stuff with them.
THIS! My son and Daughter have both been hunting and fishing with me since they were 3 years old.

Both of them spend tons of times outdoors.We have a deer lease 40 minutes from home.

Neither of my kids have ever HAD a nintendo, xbox or tablet, they don't want them. They do have Iphones though.

They both prefer to spend time outdoors vs indoors.
malibu9in1
quote:
Was actually just having this discussion with my wife this morning.

I grew up right here in CSTAT and hate to sound like old man yelling at cloud but back when I was growing up we played outside after school almost every day. If we were new in neighborhoods we went and knocked on doors and asked if little timmy could come outside to play. There would be anywhere from 3-6 of us playing football, basketball, baseball, tag, or whatever.

Now, I live in a close lot neighborhood with plenty of kids and I RARELY see any kids playing outside. If I do, its just once in a while maybe a kid playing by himself shooting hoops outside in his own driveway. Kids just don't seem to play together outside that much anymore.

I'm not going to blame it all on technology but I definitely feel like it has something to do with it. Tablets, computers, phones, xbox etc are keeping a lot of kids inside and inactive etc...

Pretty sad actually.

This excat same thing happens at my house. My kid starts to bounce the ball, the other kids climb over the fence and start to play. With no shoes on. They raid the garage fridge for a cold drink and keep playing. My 12 yo does his homework, then welds his new straight axle to his go cart. My 16 yo lives on a baseball diamond. We just got wifi at the house 6 months ago. They get summer tans.
carpe vinum
AG
It's all I can do to get my wild ubangi inside no matter what the weather.
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
My 12 yo does his homework, then welds his new straight axle to his go cart.
if true, that is awesome
malibu9in1
quote:
quote:
if true, that is awesome

I shet you not. His welds are getting a lot better. Especially since his rear wheel went flying off the go cart on a turn!! We was dragging it back in. He said he's gonna weld the crap out of it this time.
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
if true, that is awesome

I shet you not. His welds are getting a lot better. Especially since his rear wheel went flying off the go cart on a turn!! We was dragging it back in. He said he's gonna weld the crap out of it this time.
LOL, gotta love it!

the good stories on here are reminding me (some) of my childhood. On non school nights, we'd play hide n seek outside til 10. No wonder we were so skinny and in shape!
malibu9in1
I was a fat kid. But I still played hard. Red azz cheeks and all! I wonder why it has changed so much. I'm gonna be 40 in 60 days. I can still ride my bike to manor east mall to this day. !
Goat Man
AG
quote:
My 13 year old did his home work then played 18 holes of golf after school yesterday. This is a home issue, not a school issue.

This x1000. Parenting related issue not school related. Both of my kids go outside with me to play every day.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.