Volunteer oppurtunities for teenagers?

2,119 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by threecatcorner
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know we have done this thread before but it has been awhile. I've got a couple teenagers that need/want volunteer hours. Where are some good places to volunteer?

TIA
double b
AG
I'm happy to assist with this as I have close to 20 clients that I personally help locate volunteer positions, internships and research opportunities. All of this is done to help elevate their college resumes and prepare them for a particular major/career.

My contact info is in my profile.
Koko Chingo
AG
Jr. Docent at the Bush Library. Great summer gig.
Tailgate88
AG
How the heck did I manage to misspell opportunities in the thread title.
Tailgate88
AG
quote:
I'm happy to assist with this as I have close to 20 clients that I personally help locate volunteer positions, internships and research opportunities. All of this is done to help elevate their college resumes and prepare them for a particular major/career.

Is this a service you charge for?

If not, can you just post a list of some options?
MiMi
S
My children volunteer every summer as a Water Safety Instructor Aide for College Station Aquatics. The city provides fee training during Session I every summer (first two weeks of June), then they assist the swim instructors during swim lessons (morning and/or evening classes) for the rest of the summer (Sessions II - V). The training is free and they are given swimsuits. My kids love being outside, at the pool, during the summer. Aides must be 12 yrs and up. At 16 yrs, they can apply to be a Water Safety Instructor and start earning a paycheck.
atxaggie07
AG
CSISD Summer Day Camp needs volunteers. Check their website for details. Click here for CSISD Summer Day Camp employment.
double b
AG
quote:
quote:

Is this a service you charge for?

If not, can you just post a list of some options?
It is one part of the many services that I provide. However, I'm paid to locate and place my clients into opportunities that will elevate their college applications and separate them from the pack within a college applicant pool. Also, opportunities that I place my clients into will aid them in their major/career preparation.
Tailgate88
AG
Sorry should have mentioned that we are looking for non-profits to volunteer for.
Scotch
AG
quote:
How the heck did I manage to misspell opportunities in the thread title.
You spelled it in Texan, which is allowable.
TalkNerdy2Me
AG
You can use the United Way Volunteer search portal to find long-term or short-term opportunities for your kiddos. Most listings mention age-related restrictions, so it's easy to tell if they allow teens without having to call to confirm.

http://volunteer.uwbv.org

threecatcorner
Larry Ringer Library (public library across from Consol) is taking applications for teen summer volunteers. There is a Job Skills program for teens who will be in 9th-12th grade in the fall that has an April 30 application deadline, and I do not think there is a specific deadline for 7th and 8th grade volunteers.
threecatcorner
pretty sure the animal shelters take volunteers too. at some, that might be walking dogs or even just giving attention to the animals. it might be hard to have your kids volunteer there and not wind up with a new pet though.
TLIAC
AG
Not non-profit but I bet some of the nursing homes would love to have your kiddos visit some of the residents that don't have many visitors. Hang out with them, read to them, etc.
TXCityGirl
The Brazos Valley Food Bank needs volunteers all summer! So does the Twin City Mission and probably the Brazos Church Pantry.
GeorgeBushLibrary
Sponsor
The George Bush Presidential Library and Museum has positions opened for student volunteers. Junior Docents primarily help with Summer Camp programs. The serve as "camp counselors" by helping with crafts, tours and all other camp activities. Junior Docents also assist with a variety of events throughout the year-Annual Easter Celebration, Night at the Museum Halloween event and Holidays in the Rotunda. Junior Docents must be 13 years of age or older.

For more information, contact Monica at 691-4006 or email monica.lerma@nara.gov.

V/R

David Anaya
Director of Marketing and Communications
George Bush Presidential Library and Museum
1000 George Bush Drive West
College Station, Texas 77845
Email: David.anaya@nara.gov

main: 979.691.4000
office: 979.691.4069
fax: 979.691.4050

bush41.org
Facebook/Twitter @bush41

Best Tourist Attraction - 2015 Best of the Brazos
Best Museum - The Eagle 2015 Readers' Choice Awards
Brewmaster
AG
I'm sure the Bryan animal shelter could use volunteers
Tailgate88
AG
Thanks for all the suggestions, i am certain this thread has been helpful to more than me.

Here is another opportunity that was brought to my attention - you can volunteer to be a "victim" at Disaster City for Search & Rescue operations.

Volunteer at Disaster City
threecatcorner
more about Disaster City: https://teex.org/Pages/Class.aspx?course=RES503&courseTitle=Disaster+City+Volunteer+Program+-+Moulage+Required
and
https://m.facebook.com/DisasterCityVolunteerProgram?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=join%20us%20on%20Facebook&utm_campaign=ESTI%20-%20Volunteer%20March%2016
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.