pileated woodpecker

2,852 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by momlaw
earwigfly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saw one in Wheeler Ridge this morning, first one I've seen here in 20 years. The last time, I was walking in the woods behind the Brazos Center. This time it was in my yard. Sure glad I decided to play hooky from church this morning!
The Original AG 76
AG
very rare in these parts. FYI: Woody Woodpecker is a pileated
OnlyANobody
Be sure and give God a high five since he sent such a cool bird to your house even though you skipped out on his.
Frio Cielo
quote:
Be sure and give God a high five since he sent such a cool bird to your house even though you skipped out on his.

I assume you meant he many not have gone to a building for worship this morning, what many persons call church.

The church is the body of Christ, of which He is the head. Ephesians 1:22-23 says, "And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way." The body of Christ is made up of all believers in Jesus Christ from the day of Pentecost (Acts chapter 2) until Christ's return.
OnlyANobody
I put a winkie face. I was joking. Easy there.
Tailgate88
AG
I live in Woidlake and we have one that hangs out here. First year I have seen one but I have spotted him a half dozen times in the past month. I was shocked at how large it is.
EBrazosAg
AG
They are unusual perhaps, not rare. I know of 100 ac properties in E Brazos Co with several nesting pairs for many years. The drought has left them with many big standing dead trees to nest in - seem to be increasing in number since.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
drred4
Have quite a few here at our land in NE Brazos county. Can't mistake their call once you heard it once. Like a jackhammer on those dead trees too.
Caladan
You might consider putting up a suet feeder in your backyard. It might convince the woodpecker to stay around, and it might also attract other species of woodpecker as well. We have red-bellied woodys come to our suet feeder multiple times a day. The bluejays like it too.

You can find the feeders at Lowe's, and the suet blocks themselves only cost around one dollar.
carpe vinum
AG
We had them regularly in Nantucket for several years, but I don't recall seeing one the past 2 years.
malibu9in1
I don't really have a passion for bird watching. But any and all woodpeckers I always admire.
carpe vinum
AG
Pileated, Red heads, and Downys like our sunflower seeds.
Maedan86
AG
I've seen and heard them on occasion for many years here in Great Oaks. Interestly, we seem to have a lot of roadrunners in our neighborhood.
BMo
I'm in E. Brazos Co. and have not seen a pileated variety but have attracted several different woodpeckers including yellow bellied sapsuckers which I have yet to put a lens on. All of these are from the backyard. I had this red head around for months but he appears to have left the immediate area now. I'm surprised the dead tree in my backyard has not attracted a pilieated. I use suet, sunflower seed and homemade bark butter in log feeders to attract them.

Red headed WP

Red-bellied WP

Downy WP

Northern flicker

[img][/img[/img]
l0u10itd4n
We have them all over Raintree. There is a large population in Kurten, and also in Wheelock.
momlaw
AG
We've had pileated in our trees over the years. They are bigger than our big blue chicken jays and love the lard/nut bricks just the same.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.