YMCA in Bryan/College Station

18,424 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by maroon barchetta
southernyankee50
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There is an active advisory group that is working on bringing the YMCA back to Bryan/College Station. The YMCA was the student recreation center for Texas A&M College from 1899 to 1950 when the Memorial Student Center first opened. The YMCA Building on the A&M campus has been recently restored and is used for office and classroom space.

This discussion initial discussion began when groups of active older adults (we used to call them senior citizens) and local residents who are swimming/diving enthusiasts expressed a need for a comprehensive senior center and a natatorium, a swimming and diving center with adequate spectator seating that could accommodate area high schools' teams as well as meet residents' aquatic recreation and competition needs. Karl Mooney, a Councilman for the City of College Station was among those local leaders they approached.

As the school boards and the cities looked at the possibilities it became apparent that needs for municipal facilities, and in the case of Bryan and College Station, the cost of maintaining existing and creating new infrastructure would be prohibitive for building and operating such senior/recreation centers. With limited state revenue being provided to cities' budgets, it became necessary to find a way that neither city had explored in the past to provide the growing number of residents within the Brazos Valley the quality of life they derserve and have come to expect.

Mooney listened and started his research. He found that small towns such as Hutto and Burnet were able to enjoy the presence of new YMCA facilities. In Round Rock and Cedar Park the communities created YMCAs that are thriving thanks to the many business, churches, hospitals, school districts and municipal/county partnerships that have made them a focal point.

The YMCA now uses a regional business model so that operations and costs can benefit from an economy of scale. The Y is now in 10,000 U.S. neighborhoods and 119 countries. B/CS is a part the Greater Houston Area YMCA region. During this summer the Y is working with a private contractor to conduct a study in B/CS to determine a specific location, what programs and facility components are needed in B/CS Y locations. In addition, the Y is already taking steps to re-engage with programs in partnership with Texas A&M and other programs that do not require a building but only coordination with less than a large full-time staff presence.

At this time it is not expected that any funding from the cities will be used to initiate local YMCA programs or to construct the first version YMCA facilities. Some donors have already stepped forward to make a College Station YMCA a reality within three-four years. As proposed, the YMCA in B/CS is a public/private partnership with users of Y facilities and programs paying fees for use only, not for construction, management/operations or liability costs. A study of Y fees shows that they are typically cheaper than what our municipalities are able to charge for similar programs. Again, the wide-spread presence of the Y and its operation as a non-profit make this possible. For those individuals and families who might be hard-pressed to afford YMCA participation, the Y proudly points to the fact that it does not turn anyone away for financial reasons. A generous and fair scholarship program enables qualified individuals and families to take advantage of Y programs and camps.

If you are a member of a community group, a service organization, a municipality or school district in B/CS/Brazos Valley and would like to learn more about the Y's return to our area, I suggest you contact Dr. Mooney through the City of College Station.
befitter
Where is the location of this proposed facility?
southernyankee50
The location for the College Station YMCA that at present is most likely is just south of the Baylor Scott and White Hospital where Bird Pond Road will intersect with Lakeway Drive. Lakeway Drive runs north-south behind Lowe's, the St. Joe's clinic and the Methodist church. The City of College Station recently awarded the design contract for Lakeway. Once that is determined Bird Pond Road will be extended from its intersection with Rock Prairie Road by the developer of the property that surrounds the hospital grounds and goes east and south, essentially encompassing the area between the old landfill, Rock Prairie Road, businesses along the Hwy 6N service road and toward the neighborhoods along William Fitch (Woodland Hills and Spring Creek).

That same developer has offered to donate several acres of land to the YMCA so that it will become the centerpiece of that area of town. His generous offer will significantly reduce the cost of building the Y and give it adequate space for its initial footprint and the ability to expand as demand increases.
ZoneClubber
AG
I've always felt BCS needed a YMCA program. I have heard there have been several looks at our community by the Y. I know there has been some unjustified resistance to getting a Y in the past.
studioone
ummm.. isn't there a ymca in bryan already?
ZoneClubber
AG
Ummmmm, no.
Cyp011
AG
Would be a great asset for B/CS. YMCA does great work and provides excellent service for the price.
DMK
AG
There's a boys and girls club in Bryan, not the same thing. BCS is large enough to support both and growing.
mr83tr88
AG
It would be awesome if it had a salt-water pool. My daughter is an avid swimmer and was on a competitive team. However, she has an autoimmune disorder that makes her 'allergic' to chlorine. She can swim in fresh or salt water and, even though it has some chlorine, a salt-water pool. Our family would support a YMCA for several other reasons, too!!!
EBrazosAg
AG
Putting the right facility anywhere in town practically would work. We have almost no availability of sports courts for volleyball or basketball. A 3-4 court facility would stay full with practices during the week and tournaments on the weekend. If it ends up being a pool and one sports court the upside will be limited, but it will still be embraced.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
shevy
AG
Our health plan at TAMU allows us to pay $25 per month to use participating gyms including when we travel. In Waco, which has several YMCA facilities, there are two participating. Even Corsicana has a YMCA. I bet if we had one here in BCS, many TAMU employees would participate through their health plan.
Oogway
If it had a pool used for swimming (laps, lessons, water safety instruction) as opposed to water aerobics/therapy, I would definitely support that. The latter types of activity sometimes keep the pool temp a little too warm.
BobYancy
Anyone have any updates on new YMCA in College Station by Baylor Scott and White Hospital? Still going to happen? Will it have racquetball courts? Courts are few and far between in BCS, and always crowded.
AggieJason
AG
Can someone tell me why this is important to me (as a 34y/o male who hasn't been to a YMCA since he was 10y/o)?

Seriously. I'm not trying to be a jerk. I have no idea what they offer, but I hear about it semi-frequently. I want to know what I'm missing (or not).
Cyp0111
It has a gym, sports courts and fitness classes. Has affordle Child care/programs as well well. You know the basics and semi healthy adult would enjoy.
Captn_Ag05
AG
A small update: http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/college-station-mayor-design-for-ymca-started-plans/article_baf40db9-2755-551c-b9c6-8cb051c1052b.html

Quote:

College Station Mayor Karl Mooney confirmed during the Bryan-College Station Chamber of Commerce's Economic Outlook Conference on Wednesday that design plans for a YMCA location off Texas 6 are officially underway.

Mooney announced to the room of about 550 people at the Hilton College Station that the design process has started for a location near Baylor Scott & White Hospital in the developing medical district.

Renderings of what the facility could look like may be ready by the spring, at which point Mooney said talks about fundraising would begin.

britally
A YMCA with a deep water pool for water aerobics cannot happen fast enough!
We've just moved in from Midland, TX. My only regret was leaving our most fabulous facility - COM Aquatics. Programs for all ages occurred every day at multiple times; enough to suit everyone's schedule. I have been searching for months for a comparable facility; doesn't exit in BCS. TruFit-Longmire deepest pool is 4'7", not sufficient for an adult w/arthritis who needs to be buoyant in the water. YMCA facilities in Hutto, Burnet, Round Rock, and Cedar Park have classes if one has all day to travel there and back. Bryan Aquatic Center - 2024 Schedule: March 19 mid Fall. Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5 6 p.m. (really, beats nothing) BCS Swim School offers Mon. & Thurs. 8:30 - 9:30AM; no way am I able that early.
Members of the Founders Group, please don't be short sighted with the thought of adding pools at a later date. Build a facility for ALL of us from the start. I've included the link for the COM Aquatics water fitness classes; take a look at the entire facility.

https://www.comaquatics.com/water-aerobics-3/

Thank you, Bri Tally
EBrazosAg
AG
Resurrection of a thread, just like Mooney hopes for his political career !
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
doubledog
I think the general consensus amongst voters and taxpayers, is that a YMCA would be great, as long as our local government does not pay for it in any way. I think that is fair.
maroon barchetta
Can it fit inside a Macy's?
bcstx06
I think Bryan could probably easily attract a YMCA to its Midtown Park by giving them the land.
maroon barchetta
bcstx06 said:

I think Bryan could probably easily attract a YMCA to its Midtown Park by giving them the land.

I think they have to overpay for the land by millions of dollars first if they are a real city.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.