SJWs strike again [Staff Warning]

6,061 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Fonzie Scheme
Ambiguous
How long do you want to ignore this user?

[Posters will either be respectful or get banned. There is the warning. -Staff]
75AG
AG
20 students? Or possibly students?
jja79
AG
How dare anyone exercise their freedom of speech when they don't agree with me.
Prune Tracy
EBrazosAg
AG
I bet not a one of them has read any real history books about the Civil War or anything else for that matter. I'm already offended at their offense at my offense of their actions.........
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
l0u10itd4n
More on topic, they wouldn't have the ability to be bullied if they weren't sitting on their butts Facebooking.
jja79
AG
Shows bigotry includes the educated as well.
doubledog
Lawrence Sullivan Ross served in and was general of the 6th Texas Cavalry. Their "colors" was a rectangular flag with a red white and red horizontal stripes and a blue box with a red star (with eleven white stars). The word Texas was also written in gold letters in the white stripe. The confederate battle flag, while widely employed by the end of the war, was the colors of the Army of Northern Virginia.

http://www.flagpro.com/store/product4151.html
Prune Tracy
jja79
AG
What does that even mean? Bigotry is offensive to most people, maybe not you.
l0u10itd4n
What bigotry are we fighting? Obesity haters? White people? Flags? This picture is confusing. So is your message.
nashvilleaggie11
According to this KBTX story, this rally was called "Every Day is February 9th" referring to the incident of an A&M student supposedly saying racial slurs to a group of visiting high schoolers. I don't want to minimize what they may be experiencing, but I find it shocking that they experience racism on campus every single day. I would really hope that's not the case...
redd38
AG
quote:
According to this KBTX story, this rally was called "Every Day is February 9th" referring to the incident of an A&M student supposedly saying racial slurs to a group of visiting high schoolers. I don't want to minimize what they may be experiencing, but I find it shocking that they experience racism on campus every single day. I would really hope that's not the case...
They don't. If they were experiencing racism every day then it would be very easy to get some incidences on camera to both punish the offenders and bring light to the issues they are facing.
The Original AG 76
AG
One more time...
General Lawrence Sullivan Ross CSA would be proud to have his monument draped in the very Flag that he and so many Texans fought and DIED for ! Our Battle Flag and the Stars and Bars should be proud symbols of our heritage and history and defended from the idiots who have co-opted our past glory and the sacrifices of our forefathers and fellow Texans.
CS78
quote:
One more time...
General Lawrence Sullivan Ross CSA would be proud to have his monument draped in the very Flag that he and so many Texans fought and DIED for ! Our Battle Flag and the Stars and Bars should be proud symbols of our heritage and history and defended from the idiots who have co-opted our past glory and the sacrifices of our forefathers and fellow Texans.
95_Aggie
AG
I thought the situation had been dealt with? What are they protesting exactly?
Scotch
AG
That wasn't the flag Sully fought under. It is ironic that they bought so many of them, though.
EagleAg19
This was a poorly thought-out protest. They only confused everyone with the flags, which I don't think generated any sympathy for their case. TL;DR version for the rest on on bottom

I'm Hispanic (my whole dad's side is from Mexico), and I'm so tired of people trying to create more awareness for racism at our school - it's not helping! The playing field has been leveled as far as opportunity goes (probably made it easier for me to get in...sorry) and targeting this issue time and time again always makes people take sides or feel "mistreated". The logistical/physical issues of ethnic opportunity have been solved, and while there are still horrible social incidents, there always will be (Btw, Feb 9 is definitely not every day). That's because in a population of 50,000 students, you're going to have a few psychos. I've been to a few multicultural events here and while I think they give ethnic/foreign students a more comfortable atmosphere, they also reinforce the attitude of "us against the world/Texas A&M". Personally, I don't think we should even have a Hispanic group OR a Black group OR an Asian group. It literally makes students feel as if they are still inferior (which they're not) AND it creates a completely non-diverse environment and attitude that causes them to primarily hang-out with each other. I have ZERO thoughts about a persons skin color here in social situations and I think the vast majority of students are the same way.

TL;DR - Time to move on. Talking about racism only fans the flame.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
World Fest shows the multitude of cultures in this wonderful town. Lots of smiling faces and generally happy people. No protests. What a concept.
Oogway
quote:
This was a poorly thought-out protest. They only confused everyone with the flags, which I don't think generated any sympathy for their case. TL;DR version for the rest on on bottom

***SNIP for space***

TL;DR - Time to move on. Talking about racism only fans the flame.
EagleAg19--I agree with your commentary especially your first statement and the confusion regarding the flags, but I admit, I was not at the protest nor have I spoken to anyone who observed it.

However, I do not have any problem with students protesting (peaceably assembling) nor discussing racism or other topics. A university campus is a good incubator for thoughts and ideas and learning how to express them effectively, especially if a person grows into an understanding that another's frame-of-reference may be different from one's own. (this is a valuable job skill). The anti-abortion protesters, the fellow that walks around telling all the coeds they are going to h-e-double hockey sticks, they take the discussion out of the classroom and into the common space and sometimes into the nation at large.

In a little more than a week, on May 4, (46 years ago!) the anniversary of a protest whose effects were felt nationwide will occur. Rather than drag this thread down with political discourse, etc. Here is an interesting trip down memory lane by a reporter (and Vietnam military veteran) who covered the Kent State shootings. It is long, and he does not seem to diminish the violence by either side. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4630596

Here is another article covering Rudder and A&M ('Breaking the Color Barrier at A&M') that many of you may have already read:
http://jmichaelphillips.blogspot.com/2012/01/earl-rudder-and-breaking-color-barrier.html

Again, it is another long one, but a good read. He was a simple yet complex man. This is a paragraph near the end, the article discusses some of the activism on campus during the 60's and 70's.
quote:
Rudder, who had personally contacted African American students, including athletes, urging them to attend A&M, probably felt equally bewildered by black activism and the subsequent white racist backlash. Having grown up in a part of Texas with a small black population, where the intense Negrophobia of some East and North Texas Aggies was alien, and having served in an Army that though segregated included African American and Mexican American brothers-in-arms, and having been influenced by his friend President Johnson's gentle transformation into a civil rights supporter during the 1960s, Rudder was probably revolted by the most intensely bigoted letters he received. He quietly reminded many correspondents in return letters that every qualified student had the right to attend A&M regardless of race. Yet black identity politics were probably incomprehensible to him, or at least represented an issue he didn't spend much time thinking about.--Michael Phillips

BCStalk
Why can we not all just be American? Seriously. As a person from a heavy Hispanic background I am generally tired of the group designation by race. I personally can't stand having to state my race on every government document I fill out. The sooner this country figures out we are all the same the better. At least I think it would be a step in the right direction. I understand the need to remember where a person came from, but that has no impact on who we are now. Yes there are those select few idiots who will always show a lack of respect for others from a different race, but that is in no way a popular opinion.
Scotch
AG
Of course February 9th isn't every day, I haven't even heard proof that Febuary 9th was Febuary 9th. Remember, none of the visiting students actually heard a racial slur.
LunitadelNox
In my experience, there is a portion of the population in this town is quite racist (at least compared to other places I have lived).

Until I moved to BCS, I had never heard a person of color referred to as the n-word in a derogatory manner. That being said, I don't think all students fully realize the impact their words have. They are young and foolish, for the most part. I have seen several grow out of it. However, there are a few bad apples that are definitely aware (of which I have only met a handful) and are proud of their views.

I'm a Latina, and I have never had racism directed at myself, but from what I've witnessed first-hand in this town, from people in their 80s - 20s, it definitely exists.
Wildmen03
AG
Pro-tip: I grew up in southern Mississippi. BCS is a bastion of tolerance compared to that state.

And as far as the n-word goes, as long as black people use the phrase to refer to themselves it should stop being a talking point.
EagleAg19
I agree with you. I think the protests you're referring to, and the right to have them, are what got us out of such a racist culture. But I feel like we're in a limbo where the more attention we give to specific ethnicities and nationalities, the more we do to separate them, not bring them together. Like BCStalk said, let's all be American.
EagleAg19
Also, I'm getting a little tired of mowing everyone's stereotypical grass. I have allergies people.
Oogway
I support that EagleAg19 and BCSStalk; celebrating qualities that compose the American identity and what it means to be American. Our past may inform where we came from, but it does not have to define our future and the American willingness to embrace change can be one of our strongest assets. Bravery, inventiveness, diligence, faithfulness, compassion; none of these are exclusive to one ethnicity but they comprise just some of what it means to be an American.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Batt article claims a whopping 20 students participated out of the official enrollment of 58,577 for a percentage total of 0.00034 of the student population. Yep, sounds like a systemic problem to me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.