Dorms

2,222 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by CharlieBrown17
chasealexbrown
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am an incoming freshman and I having a hard time deciding which dorm to pick.
Callaway House
Traditions
Cambridge
If anyone has any information on the staff, stereotypical residents, facilities, or just a wholistic review of any of these please share that knowledge.
slider676
AG
Cambridge - I had a kid here. Best option of the three. They are on a solid bus route and I've only heard good things about the staff. Cafe also was a huge plus for him.

Callaway- Some similar characteristics to Cambridge, but more snobby. They have big issues with some of the Greek life destroying the place. I've just heard it's not as in control.

Traditions - Ha. Don't bother.
Scotch
AG
Those are all private dorms/apartments. Try to get on campus.

Also, it's "The Tradition at Northgate", Traditions is a high-end residential community in Bryan.
MosesHallRAB83
AG

Been awhile for me, but try to get a dorm on campus. You will get the most Aggie experience. Hullabaloo, the newer dorm on campus, might be something to look into.

Good luck and Howdy.

[Quote of removed post has been edited out. -Staff]
isitjustme
AG

I'm with this guy for being on campus. But I would advise Moses Hall of course (83, you should be ashamed).
Scruffy
AG
I would recommend against on campus.
The social engineering attempts, SJW led over zelous staff, and finally the cost for out-dated rooms; all are reasons I wouldn't.

But, good luck and enjoy whatever you pick.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Have a non snobby, non Greek kid at Callaway that is doing fine this year. Chose it over The Tradition at Northgate because it seemed more secure and my kid isn't a partier/ drinker. I know that goes on at all the places but our kid didn't want to be around it as much on the North side. Callaway is very convenient to campus too. Never made it by Cambridge because we wanted to be as close to campus as we could.
Oogway
In your search for a dorm, you may wish to post your question in the section called 'Academics. ' There are quite a few prospective and current Aggie parents that view that section and I recall seeing some Aggie moms discussing the pros and cons of various residences w/respect to conveniences, noise levels, bedbugs, etc.
Although you will get some responses here in the Aggieland thread, a lot of us are townies and we are mostly discussing topics such as the importance of A &M adding Driver's Ed to the core curriculum (kidding)
Best of luck to you and welcome to Aggieland.
isitjustme
AG
Sorry staff, didn''t mean to cause an edit. I was just messing around with another former Moses RABer.

While 83 and I obviously liked Moses - or else it wouldn't be part of our handles - today's Moses is not even close to the same as the early to mid-80s Moses.

To OP, good luck and know that any place your aggie lands will likely be a good place. It's just what the kid chooses to make of it.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
RAB's still causing havoc/edits even in their 50's. Never grow up.
Fleen
Cain Hall... R.I.P.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'd recommend Dorm 10 but it's getting remodeled over the next year
Jayjay4268
AG
I lived in callaway a few years ago and regretted it. It wasn't terrible, but I felt like I missed out on the true Aggie experience by not living on campus freshman year. I did not join Greek life, so I definitely felt like an outcast at times. Weekends can be pretty wild. It is close to campus, but most still ride the bus to get to the heart of campus. There are 2 easily accessible bus routes you can take. It is very convenient to the Rec. Parking garage on site is nice. Walkable to sports events. Food is pretty good compared to most campus dining. There are tons of options and they'll make just about anything for you. Would recommend the unlimited dining plan. It's the most expensive but you will get your money's worth for sure. Otherwise you will waste a swipe getting coffee in the morning, grabbing an apple between classes, etc. Like another poster recommended, I would look at Hullabaloo. It combines living on campus with nicer amenities.
Pyewacket
AG
Please whatever you do stay off the general board forum to answer your question. They could be helpful as they are mostly students and former students, but you will most likely be inundated with vulgar requests and childish behavior.

Academics board is a great idea.

I will second on campus living. Yeah the other places have cool shiny things, but you are closer to class (less travel time.. more sleep time) and you still get to have fun. Believe me, we can take a walking tour of all the places I passed out. Plus your wallet (or your parents) and your grades will thank you.
Scruffy
AG
Have you priced on campus?

It's not saving any money, and tends to cost more.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'm curious what exactly you mean by Social engineering attempts and SJW lead staff and what your basis for that is
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.