Cajun Bayou Grille on Wellborn

26,332 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Brewmaster
Prescient
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tried this restaurant tonight. I'll start with the bottom line.

Best Cajun food in town, going away. But......

Now, the rest of the story. Seriously, the food was the best tasting Cajun food this side of the Sabine. The restaurant wasn't without its problems however. We had boiled shrimp, grilled shrimp, red beans rice and sausage, and seafood gumbo. If you have been by there in the evenings recently, you know parking is a nightmare. There are only 66 seats available inside (16 four tops, two two tops). Apparently everyone of those 66 bring their own cars.

If you order crawfish, you're going to get your food pretty quickly. The kitchen is large and well staffed, but due to the amount of time it took to get our food my guess is that most of those in the kitchen are dedicated to producing crawfish. We waited 45 minutes for our food. Yes, it was packed and crawfish season, but still.

Other than the crawfish (a pound is a pound), the portions will not cause you to need a to-go box. The number of boiled shrimp was pretty reasonable (about 15 - we ate before we counted). My tiny wife was satisfied. For the grilled shrimp, there were 8 grilled shrimp on the best tasting dirty rice I've had in a long time. Still, the shrimp were not huge. The redbeans, rice and sausage came in the same size bowl as the gumbo, about a 12 oz. bowl. Again, very tasty, but for the price I expected a larger bowl. The gumbo was delicious, those missing Heberts will find a home here (based on taste, but there were way more vegetables and meat in Heberts). That said, the gumbo was short on seafood (maybe 5-6 small shrimp and about the same number of crawfish, no crab meat) and the bowl was just over half full.

Overall, it tasted really, really good. The "rush hour" on Friday night was between 6-7 (predictable) but tapered off after 7 (though still a steady crowd). We'll go back because the food was that good. But, when Papadeaux opens, we'll skip this place (though it's 3 minutes from home) due to the portion size/cost differential. Just one family's opinion, and we unanimously felt it was the best tasting Cajun food we've tasted in a long, long time (like since we went to Grand Isle 5 years ago). I'm really pulling for this place!
MosesHallRAB83
AG
Having spent 55 years in Beaumont (yeah I know.) which is essentially southwest Louisiana, if you think Pappadeauxs is a measuring stick for cajun I'm not sure how to respond. I have no idea about this place but will give it a try.

So looking for some true cajun here, other than my own.
Prescient
Just to be clear, the food was far superior to Pappadeaux. The value proposition (for me) was not to a point that the taste difference was enough to outweigh the portion size. A bowl of gumbo at Pappadeaux is twice the size of the gumbo at Cajun Bayou Grille. Same with the red beans and rice. I can't finish that dish at Pappadeaux but could have eaten half again more than I got here. But in both cases the taste was better. Just one person's opinion, I may be the only one who thinks the portion sizes are on the small side.
mgreen
I am from New Orleans and went with a group of transplanted Cajuns on Mardi Grass night. We were all very happy. The Crawfish rocked. True Louisianians do not sprinkle seasoning all over the crawfish after you cook them. That is a Texas thing that makes no sense. Going back this weekend.
deh40
AG
Five of us ate there tonight and had red beans & rice, fried shrimp and grilled shrimp. Took a little longer than expected to get food, but we found all of it to be very tasty. The red beans & rice was a nice portion and came with Cajun potato salad and small piece of garlic toast. The grilled shrimp were not huge but were normal size we find served grilled at other restaurants. They were served over rice which my wife said was excellent as well as a side of Cajun potato salad and garlic toast. None of us had any problems with the portions or went home hungry. We will definitely go back. It's too bad the building is so small.
carpe vinum
AG
Now, I'm a yankee from Bossier Parish, but I look forward to trying it out.
isitjustme
AG
Looking forward to trying this place. I tend to like cajun food prepared more in the SW LA style where my parents are from. Not a big fan of the New Orleans style - yes, there is a difference.

FTR, I like Swamp Tails, Razoos, Pappadeaux and Shipwrecks all for different reasons and they're all trying. Still need to try Remnants, and Hebert's had the closest to SW LA for the dishes they made. Would have loved to see how Hebert's fried seafood but it was never on the menu.
PS3D
Do they do takeout?
Broncos
Ate there last night and will definitely go back. The hush puppies and gator bites are delicious.

Everyone in our group that got crawfish thought it was easily the best in town. Get there early to ensure you get some before they run out though.
mgreen
quote:
Do they do takeout?
Yes. I saw lots of people picking up crawfish to go so I assume you can get other items.
TheAlarmGuy
took the team out tonight with there wives . Food was Great . "WORTH THE WAITE AND FIGHT TO GET IN"
Sponsor Message: Advanced Security Concepts | Reliable security by dependable people at an affordable price | david1@advancedsec.com | 979-690-8516 | State Lic B09523
susieq30
How much are the crawfish?
MiMi
S
According to their Facebook page, they were so busy this week that they ran out of food. Will be closed today to go shopping and be back open on Tuesday.
Stupe
S
Good for them!
texags82
AG
quote:
How much are the crawfish?

2 lbs for $14.99
They are small but taste ok
mAgnoliAg
AG
I've tried a ton of places and the only Cajun places I've found that I like in Texas are Al Ts in Winnie and some of Babin's stuff. Went to Razzoo's Friday hoping for it to be good and it was awful. I will try this place out this week or next and report back. I'm Cajun and nobody has beat my grandmas Cajun food yet.
aught2ag
Tried it the other night and it was excellent, I'm a coonass, food was on par on what I was raised on. Thinking Pappadeux's is the typical Cajun food is ridiculous!
nos7610
I live just across the tracks from this place and have been waiting for it to open. I'm excited to see them have a such a successful opening week. I will probably try to get in there this week.
ksp
Was the crawfish platter $25 like it is a Pappas? Paapadeauxs is good, but generally the portion size is reflective on their inflated prices.
John Cocktolstoy
We just need to do a boil ourselves Kyle.
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
stonebase
Went there last night, jambalaya was very tasty, wife had shrimp creole which I tried and liked. Met the owner, super guy. I think they will break the curse and do well in this location.

On another note, what about tipping? What are the expectations? When you charge your order as you enter the receipt has the line for gratuity. Is there a certain percentage expected by a low service staff (they take orders at register, they bring food, bus tables, that's it, no other follow-up). What do y'all do in this situation.
CS78
Stopped in and picked up a to go order last night. Service was great. Gumbo was very good. Shrimp creole was very good but probably a touch spicy for the average person. Unfortunately the portion size on each was borderline embarrassingly small. Somewhere close to 1 fluid cup. Lots of seafood and almost no rice which is a good thing but not if you are left hungry. Almost as if someone made a mistake or they were running low on rice? The roast beef po-boy was good and a much better size but it too came with about 10 french frys. Dont expect the sandwich to be similar to Heberts. It's different, but still really good. Maybe we will go in and eat next time and see if the portions are any better.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Good less wasted food by your normal person.
ksp
quote:
We just need to do a boil ourselves Kyle.
Coming up real soon ! Will let you know
John Cocktolstoy
My mouth is watering as we speak!
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
Pale Rider
AG
Anyone happen to locate their FB page (assuming they even have one)?

FB search can't seem to find it and their website links to "https://www.facebook.com/wix" which obviously is incorrect.
MiMi
S
Cajuns Bayou Grille
R.boenigk
Here is the Facebook page. The owner is wonderful and so is his food.
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=cajuns%20bayou%20grille
mAgnoliAg
AG
Ok just had it and it is now the 2nd best Cajun restaurant I've eaten at in Texas. About the 20 something (or however many I've been to in Louisiana) best I've ever had. Me and the girlfriend had crawfish, whiskey grilled shrimp, and seafood gumbo.

The shrimp were good but not worth going there for. The crawfish were almost on par to when we have our boils. I was very impressed. I said when we walked in the door if I saw dusted crawfish I was walking out. Was pleasantly surprised to not see them dusted.

Gumbo was good but not really too close to our own. This being said it's the best I've had west of Winnie at a restaurant. They didn't use a mix or pre made roux I don't think.

On a side note, the potato salad was incredible. 2nd to my aunt's as the best potato salad I've ever had.
Rhinos GB
Rhinos GB
mAgnoliAg,
I appreciate your repeat business. To address a few things, I'd love to have a conversation with you about your experience with our grilled shrimp. I start with fresh Gulf Shrimp (not farm raised in asia), I grill two skewers of four, so quality and quantity I'd hope isn't the issue. We lightly toss in olive oil and then lightly season. We use this simple method so it doesn't cover up the actual flavor of the shrimp. We serve this on a bed of my Cajun rice and plate with a side of creole potato salad and a slice of toasted garlic french bread. I feel this is a great value for less than $10.

Aaaahhhh... Boiled Crawfish. I only wish there was a way to make them as good as everyone's expectations. I cook them my way. My hope it that it pleases most.... (it seems it pleases many more than that)
I have never "dusted" our boiled crawfish, nor was I raised to do so. It's simply a different style of preparation that some appreciate, others do not. I have my CajuTex "Cajuns Shaker" available for those who "Like it on top"! I am happy to have somewhat met your expectations.

Gumbo...homemade, my way, no mix. The end.

My Creole potato salad is a traditional side served with just about every meal where I'm from. Glad you like my recipe. Not traditional, but very familiar where I'm from.

When you visit again, find me... I'd like to meet you and get more ideas on how we can continue to improve. Just a regular Cajun Boy tryin' to fix mistakes and make things better. Thanks again and Gig' Dat!.

Kevin "Rhino" Caballero - Owner
"Cajuns Bayou Grille"
"CajuTex Foods"
"Crawfish To Geaux"

mAgnoliAg
AG
I will definitely be back and probably pretty soon as in next Friday or so. I can tell you make your crawfish just like us, so I loved them.

I think the thing with the shrimp might have been that we got the whiskey grilled and didn't really know what to expect as I've never had them that way. I liked them pretty well, but my girlfriend wasn't big on them. I wanna try some of your fried stuff next time so I'll probably get crawfish and something fried.

As for the gumbo, I wasn't trying to knock it. It was fantastic for a restaurant.
jja79
AG
Had lunch there on the way out if town today. It's good and we'll be back. Much better than Swamp Tails or Shipwreck.
Sticks&Stones
AG
Absolutely the best crawfish I've ever bought from a restaurant (or trailer). I haven't tried anything else except the etouffee, which I thought was more tomato based than I like. I will definitely be back (again) for the crawfish. I made an excellent bisque out of the heads and scraps, too!
Frio Cielo
quote:
Stopped in and picked up a to go order last night. Service was great. Gumbo was very good. Shrimp creole was very good but probably a touch spicy for the average person. Unfortunately the portion size on each was borderline embarrassingly small. Somewhere close to 1 fluid cup. Lots of seafood and almost no rice which is a good thing but not if you are left hungry. Almost as if someone made a mistake or they were running low on rice? The roast beef po-boy was good and a much better size but it too came with about 10 french frys. Dont expect the sandwich to be similar to Heberts. It's different, but still really good. Maybe we will go in and eat next time and see if the portions are any better.
I love good gumbo and shrimp creole so I am anxious to try it, but WOW, one cup of gumbo would just get me started. Hopefully that was a mistake by the preparer. Did you ask about it?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.