Mister Geez

3,803 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by FlyRod
AggiePirate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hello guys, I just have a question as to whether anyone has sat down to eat at Mr G's World's Greatest Pizza lately. Have ye? What was it like?
FlyRod
I think the silence is your answer.
BCStalk
Overpriced Totinos last time I stopped in. Crust was saturated in sauce and soggy. Taste wasn't bad, just couldn't do the runny sauce.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
I think the silence is your answer.

Interesting. I wonder is there is any particular reason as for the lack of traffic?

Also interesting to hear about the insight into quality of food.
justalocal
We've had takeout from the university location twice in the last 2 weeks. Best pizza in town IMO. The inside was full both times (and one of those times there was a group of people waiting for a table).
Goose83
AG
No doubt some of the silence has to do with the recent decline in quality, but some of it may also have to do with Mr. G himself. He is most definitely an interesting "character", one with a very strong personality that rubs some people the wrong way at times.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
How does it stay in business? Nobody seems to go. Ive been there once only at around 1245 and was the only one in there.
AggiePirate
AG
This is what I was thinking. I have of course heard the legend of Mr. G and his unique persona if not at least just through the parking shenanigans although had heard nothing but wonders of the pizza. My lady and I happened to be downtown earlier this week and decided to walk inside at night, after we had coffee at The Village (which is an awesome little place-LOVE the clocks). This was an evening of discovery for me. Before the Village we had enjoyed dinner at Caffe Capri. "Hi I'm Romi, and welcome to Caffe Capri" is what I remember from the local commercial all those years ago. Every time I heard the name of the restaurant mentioned from when I was younger I would always do the quote. So the other night was my first time there. Enjoyed it, it was nice. The paint on the walls reminded me of my beloved and tragically gone Nortinos (RIP). To get back on topic, we had already had dinner, but were away from the kids and free so what the heck, we decided we would walk in to Mr. G's and check it out since we had been sitting across from it as we partook of our caffeine, and enjoy putting money into downtown.

As we are walking in I am telling my wife that I cannot believe that we have not tried this place yet with it being the mecca of pizza for the world. Needless to say I was getting pretty excited. There were maybe 4 tables with people when we walked in. It was our first time inside so we are taking it all in as we enter. It was a little after 8 PM. Upon walking we can feel the staff studying us, almost like they had low self esteem and were sensitive as to our impression. Definitely a vibe unlike any other restaurant that we have been to. Digging all the pictures of Mr. G everywhere, on the menus, the portrait larger than life on the wall and we are excited to see the man himself in his desk area right there on the floor. I am also delighted to see that the chairs from both the original Long Horn Tavern as well as the chairs from Ken Martin's Steak H- err Safari Grill have made their way to this place in their own respective sections. I really wanted a Ken Martin chair but they were only seating Long Horn Tavern chairs.

The tables themselves are very unique. Four bathroom floor tiles set in wood, so clean you could eat off them. My wife was thinking we could try maybe a couple slices of pizza, nothing big. We notice that only full pizzas are available for dinner hours but we start thinking maybe we will order one and bring it back to the folks. As we are quietly talking options over we feel as if we are being watched very closely by the staff. The vibe was surely palpable, enough to the point that my wife asked if we were coming in when they were trying to close. I told her surely not as it was still so early. The waitress comes back by and is ready for our order, I say that we will try the "cheese sticks". "Thats it?!?" Yes I confirmed, just the cheese sticks for now. She is seemingly offended. As we wait the awkwardness builds and my wife is happy we didn't ask for something that would take longer to sit there.

The cheese sticks arrive. I am not one to hold a high standard to food. I will never send food back. But these cheese sticks were interesting. It looked like they were dumped out of a box, which to be fair is how I am sure MOST "cheese sticks" are sourced in eateries but about 2 of these were actually cooked to where the cheese was melted. The first one I tried was still cold past the crust. The rest were cooked enough to be room temperature with the cheese solid. I eat them all, hoping the marinara doesn't have spit in it. We go ahead and pay and leave but it got me wondering if we had an especially unique experience or if there was something going on with the place.

I cannot speak to the pizza or the calzones (those looked huge). The pizza may be amazing, I have no idea.
I will have to go back and see.
ZweiackerHolmes
Maybe the staff feel pressure from him.
FlyRod
Its the best pizza in town after Antonio's, Napa Flats, Cafe Eccell, Amico Nave, Fritella, Luigi's, The Village, Gumby's, Double Dave's, Hungry Howie's, Little Ceasar's, Domino's, and Pizza Hut.
BCStalk
quote:
Its the best pizza in town after Antonio's, Napa Flats, Cafe Eccell, Amico Nave, Fritella, Luigi's, The Village, Gumby's, Double Dave's, Hungry Howie's, Little Ceasar's, Domino's, and Pizza Hut.

Atleast he has CiCis beat
Broncos
You forgot the best pizza in town - Marcos.
Red Krow
We have eaten at the downtown location several times in the past few years. The pizza has always been great. Haven't been in awhile but this thread is reminding me I should go back soon. I grew up in the north east and it's probably the closest to pizza I had growing up around here. The ambience is certainly different than most places around here.
halibut sinclair
Mr. G's is good stuff. We often eat there on First Friday. Always a long line at the door.
isitjustme
AG
We haven't been there in a couple months, but the only problem we've ever had at Mr. G's is the wait to receive our meal. The food itself has always been pretty good, especially the pizza with everything on it. We've also had cheese sticks several times and found them to be very decent for the price.

Mr G himself - meh!! But the food - pretty good.
R.boenigk
The pizza is awesome. We just had them do an event for us and we got 25 pizzas. All hot and wonderful. Big hit with our group.
toolshed
AG
Not sure what your angle is, knowing your past posts and sarcasm, which drips from this thread as well.

The pizza and calzones are great, and huge for the price point. It is a different style of pizza, we usually get the loaded, or supreme style. It's pilled with meat and veggies, so it's not a thin sparsely topped pizza like some others. This can lead to a slightly under cooked crust right in the center, on occasion, though I think that's more due to the condensation moisture under the crust, on the pan once it's placed on your table. But they do try to place the pizzas up on elevated racks, which helps in that regard.

The calzones are huge. I wish they had one with veggies, but I imagine that the moisture in them may lead to issues with the finished product with the steam they'd produce inside the crust. But the meat calzone is great non the less.

Yes, the building is 100 years old, (a guess), the tables and chairs are not up to date, and he is a vain owner. But it doesn't take away from the quality of the pizza. He's a jerk too some people, and that's inexcusable in some cases, I'm sure. He once got on to someone's child for playing with the sugar packets. That's not ok.

I wonder if people push his buttons at times setting him off. I can imagine with the self absorbed, always right attitudes that are more common these days, his crotchety old European persona doesn't deal well with them.

It's an eclectic old pizza shop. Its pizza is good. I don't think I'd order cheese sticks (99% assured to be frozen and fried at any restaurant) and judge them based on that. Just my two cents, which is worth less than that!
91_Aggie
AG
The family and I are here now. Garlic cheesy bread is good. Mr G is seating people.tonight. first time I've seen him
91_Aggie
AG
I'll update on pizza in a bit
Schrute Farms
Mr G's is the best pizza in town, no contest. The Margharita is on point and the calzones delicious.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
Not sure what your angle is, knowing your past posts and sarcasm, which drips from this thread as well.

The pizza and calzones are great, and huge for the price point. It is a different style of pizza, we usually get the loaded, or supreme style. It's pilled with meat and veggies, so it's not a thin sparsely topped pizza like some others. This can lead to a slightly under cooked crust right in the center, on occasion, though I think that's more due to the condensation moisture under the crust, on the pan once it's placed on your table. But they do try to place the pizzas up on elevated racks, which helps in that regard.

The calzones are huge. I wish they had one with veggies, but I imagine that the moisture in them may lead to issues with the finished product with the steam they'd produce inside the crust. But the meat calzone is great non the less.

Yes, the building is 100 years old, (a guess), the tables and chairs are not up to date, and he is a vain owner. But it doesn't take away from the quality of the pizza. He's a jerk too some people, and that's inexcusable in some cases, I'm sure. He once got on to someone's child for playing with the sugar packets. That's not ok.

I wonder if people push his buttons at times setting him off. I can imagine with the self absorbed, always right attitudes that are more common these days, his crotchety old European persona doesn't deal well with them.

It's an eclectic old pizza shop. Its pizza is good. I don't think I'd order cheese sticks (99% assured to be frozen and fried at any restaurant) and judge them based on that. Just my two cents, which is worth less than that!
They do have one with veggies now. You should give it a try, unless that was sarcasm.
Goose83
AG
quote:
The Margharita is on point . . .

No. Just no.
BCStalk
Just had Antonios...way better. Crispy crust, greasy cheese, good taste.
Kitten With A Whip
quote:

It most certainly IS okay. If he did that in some other establishment, I would agree, but in his own restaurant he has every right to put a stop to that behavior.
AggiePirate
AG
I'm glad he did put a stop to that nonsense. That kid is obviously destined for the General board one day.
91_Aggie
AG
The pizza.was good. I'm not a pizza snob, though.
I wouldn't make a special trip out there just for pizza though.
Schrute Farms
quote:
The pizza is awesome. We just had them do an event for us and we got 25 pizzas. All hot and wonderful. Big hit with our group.

I have been taking people to Mr. G's for years. It's been a hit everytime and always causes a repeat the trip when they roll back through town.
toolshed
AG
Everyone has different tastes...whoda thunkit?
K2T2
Mr G's in-store is meh. But the pizza they send over to Revolution is a thinner crust, floppy handheld number that's way better than their in-store pizzas! I think it's the ratio of cheese to sauce to crust, paired with those pizza sprinkles. It's been my pre-show food source for a couple of years now.

Edit: Also surprised no one has brought up the Mr G's at Rev pizza yet.
redchapterjubilee
I think what also helps the Rev's version of Mr. G's is the toaster ovening. I don't think they come over from Mr. G's cooked completely (or maybe they do?), but somehow something about the toaster oven seems to do those pizzas right.
FlyRod
Spot on about Rev's. The pizza at the College Station location seems thinner and crispier (and better) as well. Not sure why.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.