Jess Fields & John Raney

21,278 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Oogway
lastrebel2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trying to figure out who to vote for next week. This year is sure flying by fast!

For the record, I've posted on here several times expressing my disappointment with Raney's liberal voting record...

BUT

These ads that keep showing up in my Facebook feed about Fields just turn me off completely (not to mention my mailbox full of his flyers).

Some group called Truth in Texas is running ads about him explaining that he doesn't live here (Pflugerville), he's a registered lobbyist, is a Ron Paulbot, and voted to keep K2 legal in CS. The sources they include seem pretty legit from what I've read, but you never know with attack ads.

Has anybody else seen this?

I'm not comfortable voting for Raney based on his record, but I certainly don't want to vote for Fields if its true that he's a drug peddling, out-of district-living, lobbyist Paulbot.

Here are some of the ads that showed up in my FB feed:

vwbug
+1 for Raney here. Had a conversation with Jess and then he came back a second time, rang our doorbell, peaked in the window, was just a little much for us. I agree with much of what Jess (and Raney for that part) talks about but with Jess his talk is a little overbearing and forced conversation.

I've always found Raney to be very straight forward and was impressed with how quickly he got back to us personally the few times we contacted his office.
SumAggie
Jess Fields reminds me of Donald Trump without the money.....
soso33
Fields owned the cigar business, correct? I can see why a vote supporting K2 would make sense. Maybe he feels bans against substances that are to be smoked are a slippery slope.
lastrebel2000
Well did he sell K2 in his store? I hope not. That stuff kills.
soso33
No, I don't think that was the case. I'm not suggesting that.
CS78
Looks like the Raney supporters have found the aggieland board.
cslifer
Anyone but fields...he was aweful on the city council so why on earth would we send him to Austin??
95_Aggie
AG
I'm so tired of all this crap flooding my mailbox everyday. Right into the trash it goes.
InMyOpinion
quote:
Well did he sell K2 in his store? I hope not. That stuff kills.
does it really?

Or maybe it's the people that make poor choices to buy and use the stuff. I can think of many items sold at all grocery stores that if you drink, smoke, snort or inhale it would kill you.
lastrebel2000
The difference being is that K2 has one use. Inhalation. Whoever sells this stuff knows its purpose and the dangers.
Rexter
quote:
The difference being is that K2 has one use. Inhalation. Whoever sells this stuff knows its purpose and the dangers.

Kinda like tobacco and alcohol?
Rapier108
I wonder who is behind "Truth in Texas". With a name like that, it just sounds fishy and suspect.

I'm not a huge Fields fan, but I loathe Raney even more. Any candidate who claims to be conservative and then votes the opposite such as Raney and Flores, will never get my vote.

If Fields wins and turns out to be the same way, he can be voted out in the next election.
lastrebel2000
That's why I asked if the sources they're using are as legit as they seem.
Ornlu
AG
Jess has at least a slight libertarian bent, but (at least from my conversations with him back in college), he's more of a conservative than a libretarian. He's far from a "Paulbot". Yes, Jess has spent the last 2 years as a full time lobbyist. He told me that a lot of that time was authoring legislation that would affect Home Owners Associations. As near as I can tell, he didn't work for a specific person or issue but for a think-tank - not sure which one though.

Problem is, Raney's voting record doesn't match his rhetoric. He claims to be pro-life, but voted against both of the pro-life bills in the house. He claims to be pro-small business, but votes to expand the franchise tax program. He claims to be pro-individual responsibility, but votes for texting bans.
lastrebel2000
What pro-life bills?
Mr. Griswold
I'll be voting for Raney. I met Jess several years back and he was nice enough but more than anything, I don't feel that Raney deserves to be kicked out of office. I also like seeing Raney around town, whether it be near his bookstore on Northgate, driving his truck around, etc. Call me simple but I like that. Jess, on the other hand, seems more connected to the Austin scene now. Oh well, to each his own. God bless America!
Ornlu
AG
I should clarify that. Raney voted FOR amendments which would have weakened pro-life bills (the minor abortion parental notification clause and the embryonic stem cell research funding). He ended up voting for the final bill, but he tried to weaken them during the session.
farmersfight
AG
looks like something rebecca boenigk put out against yancy years ago

political trash, all of it
lastrebel2000
Weren't Boegnik's attack though completely false? I recall the media having a field day calling her out on the lies.

Is Jess' record here false as well? Do you have sources to show these are false statements?
Rexter
I haven't tried to contact Raney, but I emailed Fields earlier asking him for a time to contact him about some HOA issues. I got a response in less than 5 minutes, with a time to call today, along with a cell number. You can't beat that for accessibility.
farmersfight
AG
quote:
Is Jess' record here false as well? Do you have sources to show these are false statements?
Do you have sources to show these are true statements?

It's pretty easy to spread negative propaganda about people and that's the kind of political BS I'm talking about that sticks in peoples' heads. I in no way stated the facts were true or false, I only remembered the hell it raised at the office when I worked for Yancy, and it could or could not be happening here as well.
Mr. Griswold
quote:
I haven't tried to contact Raney, but I emailed Fields earlier asking him for a time to contact him about some HOA issues. I got a response in less than 5 minutes, with a time to call today, along with a cell number. You can't beat that for accessibility.

It's election season and he's fighting an uphill battle for the office. What do you expect?
lastrebel2000
Well these are the sources they provided in the ad:

Travis CAD: http://propaccess.traviscad.org/clientdb/Property.aspx?prop_id=836492
Registered lobbyist: https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/tedd/loblst15_02.htm
CofCS Minutes on the K2 vote: http://collegestation.granicus.com/DocumentViewer.php?file=collegestation_182abd25fb2dd05525966017cf845dd9.pdf&view=1
FlyRod
Disappointed to hear that about Veritas.
Bayou City
I don't blame the establishment, I blame the person.

When people caught on to what was going on, one bar owner brought out a measuring tape showing the clear violation of the ordinance. What did Jess do? Instead of admit he made a mistake, he had the event closed to outsiders and called the police.

I don't like Chris Christie, but I'd love to hear him comment about Fields like he did Rubio.
Bayou City
Mr. Fields owns a tobacco store. We could be known as the district that elected a lobbyist who owns a cancer factory. Great.
GSS
John Raney's daughter (Laura Raney Scogin) posted the following on Facebook:

"I want everyone to take a look at this flyer that Jess Fields sent out. It is a flat out lie! My Dad, John N. Raney, has never supported research on any living embryo and will never do so.
There was an amendment to the latest budget that restricted ALL embryo research, including dead embryos. For those of you that don't know, I delivered 3 sons who died in utero -- my Dad clearly has personal conviction about protecting life within the womb. This is partly why he supports research on dead embryos. It's just like someone donating their body to science after they die. Why in the world would that be considered anti-life??
John Raney - State Representative, HD 14 has been endorsed by Texas Alliance for Life and Texans for Life Coalition.
To accuse my Dad of turning his back on innocent life is insulting! Jess Fields, have YOU held a baby boy who is only 20 weeks along and is no longer alive?!? Because my Dad has and it was heartbreaking! He knows the value of life. He has two daughters and TEN grand babies! How dare you accuse him of not working to protect innocent life!
Friendsplease SHARE this post so those who are getting this junk mail but don't know my Dad can know the TRUTH."
nashvilleaggie11
Jess is now saying that "the other side is making personal attacks on my family." Not sure what he could possibly be referring to because all I have seen is blatant lies from his side about Raney...
lastrebel2000
What attacks on his family? All I've seen are attacks on his voting record, residency, career as a lobbyist, and donations to Ron Paul.

All fair game in my opinion. Although I did see comments in an Eagle article where someone made a comment about all the donations he gets from his family.

If he thinks a random person commenting on The Eagle is a personal attack on him from the Raney campaign, then he's really thin skinned and won't last 5 minutes in Austin.
farmersfight
AG
Sounds like the Raney supporters have taken over, *full disclaimer* I am not actively supporting anyone in this race.

I am not defending Fields, nor am I going against Raney. I do not participate in the use of any "illegal" drugs, I just hate the sheeple throwing out skewed accusations without doing their own research.

The link you provided for Fields being a lobbyist - I did a simple google search...turns out he filed to stop being a lobbyist in June 2015 - http://204.65.203.5/public/lobby/660547.pdf - never had (or at least filed ) any financial spending https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/tedd/2015LaReports.html.

The K2 thing -http://collegestation.granicus.com/DocumentViewer.php?file=collegestation_182abd25fb2dd05525966017cf845dd9.pdf&view=1 the motion he was 5-1 against (he was the lone 1) was to not ban the use of illegal smoking products and ingestion devices. This happened in 2010. While K2 was the majority of the subject, the motion was to ban the possession and use of illegal smoking products and ingestion devices. There were 5 residents that presented. 1 of the residents presented to ban the actual substance of K2, 2 wanted it to be sold based on age restrictions, and the other 2 talked about lack of scientific research and/or biased research on K2. Now define ingestion devices - how many "smoke shops" or "hookah stores" are open? Isn't there a bar on northgate that promotes this? He did own a cigar store when he voted on this and this was in his interest. I can think of 2 stores in town off the top of my head that sells bongs and substances that smell like urinal cakes and have been around for at least a few years. How many council members that voted had their own research before this was put to a vote and only had the information the residents put forward? Sounds like a safe vote...I wasn't at the meeting, why would I be...our opinions really don't matter in the grand scheme.

The CAD link doesn't have anyone by the name of Fields living at that property listed, he might be renting and also have a rental property in B/CS, he is not listed as a homeowner in this area either. Just to check I searched traviscad.org and brazoscad.org and his name did not come up in either county. Sounds like a wash...

*EDIT* - Looks like he sold his CS property in June 2014 and then owned / lived at the Pflugerville property 9/2014 - 11/2015. He is not currently listed on the Brazos CAD now.

Did you do your own research before deciding to come to TexAgs to decide to flat out put out a negative post against him? I've looked at the FB page and it's all anti Fields and Berry. Who are they supporting? Will they just keep throwing spaghetti against a wall and hope enough sticks in the voters' minds?
Pinata Man
I agree - everyone should do their own research on negative posts like this and the negative stuff coming from others like Empower Texans, etc.. It ain't the Bible just because Truth in Texas says it or Empower Texans says it (even though I wonder if sometimes people treat these sites like the Bible).
Cancelled
AG
I actually spoke to Jess years ago about this K2 issue. he said he was against the use but felt illegalizing it set a dangerous precedent. he did not sell it in his store. as for the gambling: I believe it's legal as long as the house doesn't take the rake.

personally, I think Jess is a bit arrogant. But, I like his positions and would without a doubt vote for him. I wouldn't invite him over for beers, but we need staunch libertarians like him to
clean up the GOP.
lastrebel2000
Did you not read the motion?

"Upon a motion made and seconded, the City Council vote five (5) for and one (1) opposed, with Councilmember Fields voting against, to ban the possession and use of illegal smoking products and ingestion devices."

So how can you say "the motion he was 5-1 against was to not ban the use of illegal smoking products" when the minutes clearly say it was?

Or are you like Fox News where 3rd in Iowa is actually 1st?

Also, The Eagle says in 2012 they did vote to ban K2 and Fields was the sole NO vote.

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/cs-council-bans-k-salvia/article_8bd8c18c-be50-55f8-bb61-22b8a44a0b2c.html

And didn't he announce his candidacy back in August or September? If so, why was he still living in Pflugerville months after seeking office here? Pretty shady.
dfphotos
we get it, you dont like him.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.