Anyone going to the Public Meeting Set For FM 60-2818 Area Improvements?

3,961 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by LocalAg96
hihozippo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have to be out of town for this and was wondering if anyone here was planning on attending? I'm curious on everyone's thoughts. Perhaps someone can shed some light on why they would only expand from 60 to George Bush and not continue to holleman?
Clo004
From what I understand with my conversation with TXDOT the eventual plan is to widen GB all the way to Holleman in the future. It is all about the money
hihozippo
RCH2030
I've heard the same thing
Gameday Traffic Guy
AG
quote:
I have to be out of town for this and was wondering if anyone here was planning on attending? I'm curious on everyone's thoughts. Perhaps someone can shed some light on why they would only expand from 60 to George Bush and not continue to holleman?
The 'big picture' plan is to identify improvements from Stotzer/University to Wellborn. The public meeting for the interchange is the first project of several. Please come to the meeting and give comments.
And then watch the Ags BTHOmsu
GSS
FM 60 & FM 2818 exchange

$3.5 million dollars of highway improvements are planned to begin a year from now in the area of Easterwood Airport.
You're invited to an open house Thursday between 4:30 and 6:30 on the Texas A&M west campus at the Gilcrest building.

Bob Colwell at the TxDOT district office in Bryan says plans to rebuild the interchange at FM 2818 and FM 60 involves a design that has only been used at two other locations in the state.
The nearest is in Round Rock off Interstate 35 at the RM 1431/University Boulevard exit by the IKEA store. The other location is in El Paso east of Ft. Bliss at Loop 375 and Spur 601.

The bridge on Raymond Stotzer Parkway over 2818 will be widened to six lanes. Traffic will be driving on the left side of bridge after making a criss-cross at both ends. That will eliminate motorists having to make a left turn in front of oncoming vehicles.

Then south of the interchange, 2818 will be widened to six lanes to George Bush Drive.
Rexter
The new intersection design kills turning in front of traffic, but it also kills the left turn any time except on a green. i saw several of these intersections around Atlanta.

I wish TXDOT would study and implement the style of interchange for underpasses that I've seen around Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater. The left turn lanes for the feeder roads go under the bridge at a 45* angle so the lanes don't cross. It allows a much longer cycle for the lights.
FC12
Rexter, those intersections are awesome but from what I remember, that take up a ton of room. Not a big issue in some places though where the room exists.
EBrazosAg
AG
Great to be expanding the highway by airport when United has cut us to 1 flight a day.......hope everyone takes Delta and American only when the daily ATL flights begin......And is it just me, or are there a whole lot of other intersections with bigger issues than University and 2818???
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GSS
quote:
Great to be expanding the highway by airport when United has cut us to 1 flight a day.......hope everyone takes Delta and American only when the daily ATL flights begin......And is it just me, or are there a whole lot of other intersections with bigger issues than University and 2818???
The highway expansion has zero to do with flights to/from Easterwood. And it's just you, the traffic at that intersection, and south along FM2818, is a zoo during 5pm and morning commutes. But probably no worse than east side major intersections, just easier to resolve.
Clo004
I for one am happy they are redesigning the intersection. I have worked many bad crashes there and several that easily could have been fatalities. More at that intersection than any other in CS
PS3D
quote:
The new intersection design kills turning in front of traffic, but it also kills the left turn any time except on a green. i saw several of these intersections around Atlanta.

I wish TXDOT would study and implement the style of interchange for underpasses that I've seen around Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater. The left turn lanes for the feeder roads go under the bridge at a 45* angle so the lanes don't cross. It allows a much longer cycle for the lights.

From what it looks like, only through traffic gets two lights. If you're using the ramps, it should be only one. That's better than the frontage road setup other interchanges have. Only problem is actually DURING construction.
CS78
They are going to screw up the one 2818 intersection that actually works. Shouldn't they be dealing with holleman/2818 first? Way more accidents with way worse traffic.
PS3D
quote:
They are going to screw up the one 2818 intersection that actually works. Shouldn't they be dealing with holleman/2818 first? Way more accidents with way worse traffic.

Not true at all. Now you can go 60 mph down that stretch and not have to worry about cars suddenly turning in front of you.
SARATOGA
I saw an animation on the news at lunch that had thru traffic crossing over to the left side of the road. Is that right ?

Honestly what drugs do you have to be on to design something like that ?

I think continuing George Bush and connecting 60 and GB on the west side of the airport is a great idea. This town needs to grow WEST, and the airport has always been a barrier (and of course the lack of east/west roads)
ooshwa
Staff
AG
[removed. carpe's is obviously more relevant]
kraut
AG
Isn't this something similar to what they did in San Marcus?
jagouar1
AG
It will probably improve that area but the real need is to widen 2818 to holleman. That is the bigger immediate need imo.
carpe vinum
AG
95_Aggie
AG
I don't understand widening 2818 to six lanes from 60 to GB. Then we will all squeeze back into four lanes right at the point where traffic gets much worse?
PS3D
quote:
Isn't this something similar to what they did in San Marcus?
Not quite. The one in San Marcos is a slightly modified Continuous Flow Intersection, where the left lane crosses before the main intersection to speed things up at the main intersection, where as the Diverging Diamond Interchange is the one going in here, where the main lanes of the non-freeway road cross over each other. DDI is much newer...CFI has been slowly rolled into the United States (10 years ago, there were only two CF intersections in the United States with a third under construction, now, at least 20 exist). DDI wasn't even invented until 2009.
95_Aggie
AG
Can this happen sooner?
AggiePhil
AG
http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Multiple-vehicle-accident--368605211.html
samIam4sur
Is this improvement occurring at the same time as the GB and Wellborn improvement?
W
AG
ultimately it's the cost of the rapid growth of the area. There are so many interchanges that need both traffic flow and safety improvements.

fortunately some have already been made like Wellborn & 2818 and Villa Maria & 2818, It's going to take a while to get to them all
Rooster14
Did y'all see update on the wreck that happened on Friday at this interchange? The female driver passed away.
rhoswen
AG
She was a professor in the animal science department. So sad.
rc_cat
quote:
quote:

Not true at all. Now you can go 60 mph down that stretch and not have to worry about cars suddenly turning in front of you.
You can go 60 up 2818 through Holleman towards GB as long as you don't have people turning right off Holleman into the right lane of 2818 in front of you and then moving into the left lane at glacial speed (after you've moved into the left lane to avoid them) in order to eventually move into the center turn lane to turn into one of the many apartment complexes.

Accident-wise, Holleman/2818 may not be worse, but traffic-wise I think it's way worse. YMMV.
LocalAg96
AG
Here is the blog from City of College Station that explains another project (Wellborn x George Bush) and why they are first going to expand 2818 and the reasoning behind it somewhat.

http://blog.cstx.gov/2015/07/29/podcast-city-manager-on-college-stations-next-big-dig/

I agree I wish they would work on fixing the Holleman @ 2818 area first. At least we can appreciate that we can look forward to the spring break, summer holidays and Christmas break for some reprieve from the traffic.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.