Does The Med owe you money?

4,947 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by LostInLA07
aggielandsip
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My husband had surgery in October, 2015. The Med required us to pre-pay what they estimated our out-of-pocket portion of the procedure would be, which I think is pretty standard and we did without a complaint.

Fast forward to today, when we reviewed the final EOBs and realized we did not owe them anywhere near what they charged us, so we called The Med's billing office. They agree that they over-charged and we have a credit of over $800. Then the lady asks if we want to get a refund on that. Uh, yes?

She further explained that they do not issue refunds on overpayment unless a patient calls back in after the fact to request it.

So, if you happen to have had a procedure done at The Med, double check your final insurance bill and call them if you think you overpaid. Otherwise, you will never hear from them and they'll just keep your money.

This seems pretty shady to me.

KaneIsAble
AG
This is how lots of businesses work. They notified you on a statement that you overpaid and it's up to you to request the funds. My company does the same thing and we have millions of dollars on the books that are owed back to the customer unless they use it and apply it to new or outstanding invoices. It is a little shady for a hospital to do that considering the lack of repeat customers but technically you could leave the money on your account and use it towards other procedures if you wanted to.
LostInLA07
AG
Aren't you required to send the money to the state as unclaimed property after some amount of time?
LunitadelNox
I have been overcharged by The Med before, but they sorted it out on their end and put a credit on my account.
CN
My wife went to St Joes a couple of years ago and called me because her HSA debit card wasn't working. We had to prepay before they would see her. When I got there, billing had no idea who she was seeing and what was owed. I told them who my wife was seeing and the estimate she was given and that was good enough for them. I was incredulous.

A few weeks later, I got the invoice in the mail. Shockingly, it also contained a check. They overestimated the cost so it was a decent sized refund of a couple hundred dollars.

Definitely seems shady that you have to chase after a refund.
vwbug
I wish they did - unfortunately, it's the other way around...
The Med does not owe me money but St. Joseph's does and I have been trying to get it back since June 2015. I call every 6 weeks and every time they tell me that they are processing it and I should expect to get a check in 3-6 weeks. It is crazy. First, there was something about them having to check all the family member accounts to be sure that I did not owe them for any other services. Then there was some kind of third party billing change. Then, the refund had to be approved by some manager type. And, I never got any kind of statement showing the credit. I just happened to come across it when looking at an EOB so I figured out myself. It is not a huge amount but it is worth a few phone calls....maybe not a few dozen phone calls but a few more.

So, I don't think it is unique to The Med.
Rex Racer
AG
My wife and I got sent to the emergency room at The Med by a PA a couple of Saturdays ago due to some pain in one of her lymph nodes and inner ear. The doctor comes in, feels her neck, looks in her ears and throat, says she can't see anything, gives her a pain pill and prescribes antibiotics. The bill for this "treatment"? Over $1,300. I'll be on my death bed before going back. Unreal.
LostInLA07
AG
Pretty sure there's a $1k facility fee just for walking in the door at most ERs.
AggieBB
AG
quote:
Pretty sure there's a $1k facility fee just for walking in the door at most ERs.
Not at CapRock
cslifer
That is pretty much norm for an ER. I can assure you that Scott and white as well as st joes would be very similar in price. Remember, when you go into the ER you are paying for the facility, doctors, nurses lab ect and those things are expensive. What you described is not a medical emergency and could have been done at a dr office or urgent care for $30. Without sounding rude, what were you expecting when you went in? Did you think because it was a minor issue and required minimal care the cost would be low?It sounds like your real issue should be with the PA that passed you off to the ER instead of addressing the problem.
AggiePlaya
AG
quote:
quote:
Not at CapRock

A friend went to Caprock and the bill was in the thousands...
All ERs are going to bill much higher
KaneIsAble
AG
I went several months ago and was there for 2 hours. I took 2 bags of fluid and medicine and got a couple of shots and they billed my insurance $4500.
medic1969p
Never going to CapRock again. Over a thousand for suturinf a thumb. Nurse asked for medical history and allergies AFTER care was complete. Sure glad he wasn't allergic to that shot.
Rex Racer
AG
quote:
That is pretty much norm for an ER. I can assure you that Scott and white as well as st joes would be very similar in price. Remember, when you go into the ER you are paying for the facility, doctors, nurses lab ect and those things are expensive. What you described is not a medical emergency and could have been done at a dr office or urgent care for $30. Without sounding rude, what were you expecting when you went in? Did you think because it was a minor issue and required minimal care the cost would be low?It sounds like your real issue should be with the PA that passed you off to the ER instead of addressing the problem.
We went to the doctor's office and paid our $30. We don't go to the emergency room for every little thing. In fact, I haven't been to the ER in about 25 years. I expected to pay maybe $150, not $1,300 plus. And yes, I do have an issue with the PA.
cslifer
If you went in to the ER expecting the bill to be $150 then I don't really know what to say...that is beyond unrealistic.
Edit: I should point out I am referring to the total bill, not what you end up paying as I obviously have no clue about your insurance situation.
Post removed:
by user
Rex Racer
AG
quote:
If you went in to the ER expecting the bill to be $150 then I don't really know what to say...that is beyond unrealistic.
Edit: I should point out I am referring to the total bill, not what you end up paying as I obviously have no clue about your insurance situation.
Since I haven't been in 25 years, why would that surprise you? I was also talking about what I would have to pay. But not having been in 25 years means I had no clue what they charged now. It's insane.
Frio Cielo
quote:
quote:
We went to the doctor's office and paid our $30. We don't go to the emergency room for every little thing. In fact, I haven't been to the ER in about 25 years. I expected to pay maybe $150, not $1,300 plus. And yes, I do have an issue with the PA.
$150 sounds reasonable.
cslifer
Without getting into the politics of it, that price is in line with most ERs. That being said, it sounds like you are upset with what you paid out of pocket. You should take that up with your insurance company, not the facility.
Rex Racer
AG
My wife called and got them to drop it by $200. She's amazing at stuff like that.
AggieBB
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Not at CapRock

So did I and the bill was less than $500. Had to do a CT scan and have some IV meds.
Brewmaster
AG
not exactly what I wanted to read the day after having surgery there (to remove a large thyroid lump).

I overpaid St. Joseph's last year (for a hernia surgery) by about $100 and underpaid the surgeon by that amount, it took a little checking up on, but they got it sorted out. and FWIW that surgeon is one of the best in Central TX - Parrent.

My experience at the Med was good, the longer than usual wait was a bit nerve wracking, but I still got to go home last night. I did pre-pay as well...but its on my AMEX. If I have any problems I'll sick them on it. My out of pocket was in line with what I paid last year for hernia surgery, so it didn't seem unreasonable to me. We have blue cross through A&M.

Hopefully I'm done with surgeries for a long while though!
AggiePlaya
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Not at CapRock

So did I and the bill was less than $500. Had to do a CT scan and have some IV meds.

$500 pre-insurance or is that your obligation after insurance applied?

By the way, I never said 1k walk in fee that was another poster. My point was ER is higher than regular Dr office bills...
LostInLA07
AG
ER facility fee is about $1k (before insurance negotiated prices and insurance payments). Differences in insurance is why different people on this topic have wide variations in their responsibility. ERs/hospitals really don't vary all that much in price.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.