How can you get off of these worthless politicians mailing list?

7,858 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by DayTrip
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
getting sick of crap from them in my mail box every day, esp from the same guy, yes talking to you Jess

Thank goodness I got this new recycle bin to put this crap in right outta my mailbox
Frio Cielo
You can't.

Your elected officials are performing the most important aspect of their jobs...to get re-elected and the opponents are try to get the gig.

Won't happen, but there should be a method of opting out of all election advertisements if you don't want them.

What cracks me up is that you don't hear from your elected officials for two to six years and when they begin to re for re-election, you get something most every day.

FlyRod
I find it an easy way to choose between two candidates who are essentially the same on policy; the one who annoys me with the most flyers doesn't get my vote.

I won't say which one that is, other than to note that I've received two from one of them, and seventeen from the other.
The Original AG 76
AG
And exactly just HOW would you like to get info on a candidate during the election season?

I know , FOR A FACT, that virtually every candidate ( serious ones) for any real office has events at least 2 or 3 times EVERY day for months and months ending up to voting. Many many of them have only 10-15 folks attend. They will go anywhere anytime to speak to damn near any group in an attempt to communicate directly with the voters. Just EXACTLY how many events have you bothered to attend ?
They have to get their names and their messages out to you SOMEHOW !!! TV is far to expensive for all other than the majors. A school board, constable, state rep, city council ...on and on has to use every source available to try and communicate. Robocalls are dying since there is caller-id, yard sign have little real effect...direct mail is one of the very few methods that still have a chance to reach you guys ...
If it offends you so much...throw it away !!!
And while you are at it PLEASE tell me how Mr Candidate , especially one who is trying to take out the NAME incumbent , is supposed to get his message to you !
And BTW..If you can show me a better way I will make a TON of money since there is constant discussion amongst the consultant /advisor class as to how better communicate with the voters.. TRUST me , you think they enjoy dropping tons of dollars on this stuff, You think that ANYONE enjoys the beggathons needed to raise money to pay for direct mail ??? You show me a better way and I WILL BE RICH and use a few dozen million to buy stuff for our football team..buildings or something !!!
Flatlander
I get needing to get the word out, and I absolutely don't mind getting mailers from candidates. But when I'm getting one every single day for three weeks straight from the same candidate, it starts to get a little old.

I had originally planned to vote for said hyper-mailer, but the constant barrage of negative attack mailers in my mailbox has me thinking differently.
halibut sinclair
Websites, Facebook, Twitter and other social media (and ads on those platforms) are much more effective than a mailer that gets thrown away.
vwbug
+1 for Raney here.
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
Websites, Facebook, Twitter and other social media (and ads on those platforms) are much more effective than a mailer that gets thrown away.
EVERY campaign is using social media to the max. I know that it is a completely alien concept to a lot of younger voters BUT a HUGE segment of the bona-fide primary voting population is over 60 and social media is NOT an effective tool. I attend events almost every night and the age gap is HUGE. You would be amazed how many don't even have an email address.
Plus do you know how minuscule the click thru rate is for a social media ad ?? Its in the less than a 1 percent rate. Tiny tiny..
Direct mail is a very expensive method. No candidate likes it. One reason for multiple mailers is faulty lists. We are completely at the mercy of the list compilers. You may be on the same list as 2-3 different names. J Voter, James Voter, J.B Voter...its not very accurate but it is expensive and its ALL we got. TRUST me ..we do BEG the list compilers to vet and purge the lists, they claim to be good but its usually all we can afford. NO ONE wants to send you a piece more than 1 or 2 MAX a week. It should start at 1 every few weeks and end up with a "blitz" of perhaps 2 a week at the end. VERY expensive research goes into all of this and it is what has been proven to work best BUT the entire program is changing. NOTHING is proving to be very effective any more which is why incumbents have an even great er strangle hold and we get lesser and lesser quality candidates.

Meanwhile...just throw it away. It isn't hurting you and it is helping to pay for the failing federal post office boondoggle and saving you a few tax dollars. !!!
FlyRod
Halibut gets it.

Had a nice chat with Raney at 50 Men Who Can Cook. I didn't see Jess there.
toolshed
AG
quote:
Halibut gets it.

Had a nice chat with Raney at 50 Men Who Can Cook. I didn't see Jess there.

Well, if Jess doesn't like food from 50 men who may or may NOT be able to cook, then that seals my vote! I can't vote for a man that skinny who doesn't eat!!
Frio Cielo
quote:
And exactly just HOW would you like to get info on a candidate during the election season?

I know , FOR A FACT, that virtually every candidate ( serious ones) for any real office has events at least 2 or 3 times EVERY day for months and months ending up to voting. Many many of them have only 10-15 folks attend. They will go anywhere anytime to speak to damn near any group in an attempt to communicate directly with the voters. Just EXACTLY how many events have you bothered to attend ?
They have to get their names and their messages out to you SOMEHOW !!! TV is far to expensive for all other than the majors. A school board, constable, state rep, city council ...on and on has to use every source available to try and communicate. Robocalls are dying since there is caller-id, yard sign have little real effect...direct mail is one of the very few methods that still have a chance to reach you guys ...
If it offends you so much...throw it away !!!
And while you are at it PLEASE tell me how Mr Candidate , especially one who is trying to take out the NAME incumbent , is supposed to get his message to you !
And BTW..If you can show me a better way I will make a TON of money since there is constant discussion amongst the consultant /advisor class as to how better communicate with the voters.. TRUST me , you think they enjoy dropping tons of dollars on this stuff, You think that ANYONE enjoys the beggathons needed to raise money to pay for direct mail ??? You show me a better way and I WILL BE RICH and use a few dozen million to buy stuff for our football team..buildings or something !!!

I get a wealth of information that is not slanted by the candidate from many websites, newspaper articles, and other sources. You can, and I do, frequent regularly governmental websites at both the national and state level that shows the actual votes of my representatives and whether they actually voted on a bill. Some of what you see is amazing.

I can't imagine anyone making a decision on who to vote for by reading the slanted advertisements that we get both in the mail and see on the TV. Do people really do that? I would bet that less than 2 percent of homeowners actually take the time to read to comprehend what the flyer is saying.

Having been in marketing for many years, I know that the candidates do not expect us to read it but are sending them to instill in us a comfort level that they are working for us. Their opponents are in turn trying to instill in us that they can do better.

Actually, my comment was not that they shouldn't send it, but that we should have a method of opting out of receiving it. If we could, would they candidates not save a lot of money repeatedly sending mailings to persons who they know will just throw them out?
skipster
Look closely - the candidate can't spell...ooops!
webkit-fake-url://cb1235fc-3415-4717-ae9a-631a5e91b7f8/image.tiff
dfphotos
do you even internet?
nashvilleaggie11
I can't stand Jess Fields and his multiple mailings a day. He has always been a nuisance and a terror...since his days in College Republicans to his days on City Council. Does he actually have a job? How can he possibly have so much time to walk around and knock on doors? It annoys me that he moves back to BCS right before the election...he's been MIA in the community for the past few years but now wants to represent us? No.
mgreen
Another thread that took a left turn after one response.
alisoncan
Soooooo back to the question, can I opt out. I don't care too much the why or the what about these mailings. More power to whomever... But can I stop getting them? Anyone?
75AG
AG
quote:
Soooooo back to the question, can I opt out. I don't care too much the why or the what about these mailings. More power to whomever... But can I stop getting them? Anyone?
Short answer: Probably not.

If the campaign wants to spend money to get their name/positions to you, they'll continue to send. My advice, vote in the Democrat primary. You'll get a lot less mail!
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
No ..sorry...just like you can't get off of the daily mailers from HEB or Bed Bath or Super Chevy..on and on.. that clog up a mail box made from cheap tissue paper that usually tears as you pull the giant PILE out EVERY DAY...... do these infuriate you also ?? I get a LOT more of these and its year round every year..every day..all year..
BQ_90
AG
yes they do but getting something to "resident" isn't as a bad as getting something with my name on it. If it has my name on it then I should be allowed to tell them NO.
Kitten With A Whip
quote:
quote:
No ..sorry...just like you can't get off of the daily mailers from HEB or Bed Bath or Super Chevy..on and on.. that clog up a mail box made from cheap tissue paper that usually tears as you pull the giant PILE out EVERY DAY...... do these infuriate you also ?? I get a LOT more of these and its year round every year..every day..all year..
YES those infuriate me, TOO!!! I do not want mailers from grocery stores, fast food restaurants, Gander Mountain OR politicians! I absolutely HATE that you all are wasting all this paper that goes directly into the trash. Stop annoying us! We do not read those things. Get with the times and utilize social media. That is where you are likely to grab our attention.
cslifer
Just mark them "unsolicited mail, return to sender". That is what I do, I don't know if they actually make it back to the a**hat that sent it but it makes me fell better!
And on a side note, has anyone else noticed how strongly original ag seems to feel about this topic?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
The city recycling cans couldn't have come at a better time. Straight from the mailbox to the can.
halibut sinclair

InMyOpinion
quote:
getting sick of crap from them in my mail box every day, esp from the same guy, yes talking to you Jess

Thank goodness I got this new recycle bin to put this crap in right outta my mailbox
wait, I thought the mail service was not reliable. Getting something everyday seems reliable. Or just image how much is sent out and lost in order for you to get one every day.
montegobay
I kind of wished I had saved all of them and I could mail them all back when he loses! So annoying! I walk straight from the mailbox to the recycle bin every day!!!
FlyRod
I think he's going to win, if yard sign ratios are any indicator...which they seem to be in BCS.
ViewFromTheSidelines
Have you been to Bryan? There are Raney signs everywhere. I would also say - drive up and down Texas Avenue and count how many Jess signs you see at local businesses - I haven't seen one. That has stood out to me. I like both, but voting for Raney.
w8liftr
http://index.empowertexans.com/legislators/john-raney/2015-index
SumAggie
my experience over the past 40+ years of voting has been that they might as well tell you they are promising things they will never deliver. The ONLY politician that comes to mind who HAS done what he said he would do is Ted Cruz - and the entire establishment (political and media) hates him for it.
75AG
AG
Pardon me while I completely derail this thread... But what exactly has Ted Cruz done?
jrhmc
AG
My problem is not that the candidates do the mailings, it's the sheer quantity of mailings. I'm getting two or three pieces of mail per candidate daily and I'm pretty sure that's just not financially responsible. I can understand doing a few just to get the name of your candidate out there but I'm more likely to look at the mailing to see who's running and then looking online to determine what the candidate stands for. I get annoyed after finding several a day for weeks and just stop looking at them before I throw them away in my nice, new recycle bin.
techno-ag
AG
Mass mailings are a good thing. They pump money into the local economy. They often use local printers, and local mailing companies like WTAW's Scott DeLucia's company. Also, they help the US Postal Service.

It doesn't bother me at all to spend two seconds trashing the flyers knowing how much they helped the economy. First world problem there.
halibut sinclair
FlyRod
95_Aggie
AG
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.