Dieticians for an employee meeting

2,555 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by FlyRod
mgreen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We started a weight loss contest in my office and i thought it would be nice to have a dietician come in and talk about the right and wrong way to lose weight. Any ideas?
OnlyForNow
AG
I'm sure that having a company sponsored "weight loss" competition, while in good Spirits, might be against lots of HR rules.

It could be a "healthy change" challenge or something. Problem is someone that isn't fat or overweight is already out of the competition which isn't very fair.

BUT I think your idea is a good one.
Rexter
My brother's live-in works for an o&g co in Houston, and was telling us Saturday about the employees having a weight loss contest. $20 to enter and the highest % loss gets the pot. 24 people entered. The company chipped in $20 and then matched it to make the pot $1000. Nobody complained about it not being "fair".
originaltexan
Sound like the basis for a major lawsuit.

Run clear and don't look back..
GoneGirl
AG
We do them too - but those are typically department participation and not through HR.

In fact, we also have a office sponsored membership in Virgin Pulse, - which includes challenges where we can participate in contests for "most steps," syncs with devices like fitbits, and offers tips, logs goals, and offers rewards for meeting goals - both personal and those set by the organization.

We also host office weight watchers meetings, and have lunch time yoga and core building classes (employees pay for these through payroll deduction) etc.

All of which give us "points" towards a lower insurance premium. They aren't promoting weight loss particularly, as much as they're promoting healthy life styles. We also have an employee clinic where we can get all of our lab work, ongoing maintenance, and if we have a cold or the flu, etc. There is no co-pay if we use it.

Our lawyers are just fine with all of it.

jrhmc
AG
Usually these weight loss contests are voluntary and are based on percentage lost so not a problem with being fair.
OnlyForNow
AG
I'm cool with it, but how is it "fair?"

I am 5'10" and weigh 160lbs I have less than 15% body fat, and am in good shape.

I can't really loose any weight unless I, 1) get a tape worm, 2) get a stomach bug, 3) starve myself.

A over weight person, being 5'10" and weighing 260 lbs can lose a lot more than I can just by not eating fast food
02skiag
AG
So it's not fair because you are already at a healthy weight and can't win? The whole point of these is to motivate those that need to lose weight.
aggiegal99
Michelle Dohrman is a dietician with St. Joseph Regional Health Center. She might do this type of thing.

OnlyForNow
AG
Yes. Fat people shouldn't get rewarded for living healthier just because they're fat and have made poor choices. This specifically excludes people who are trim/athletic and others that work out regularly or just have a lower weight/BMI.

Let's flip it and say someone has IBS or something similar and is extremely thin, they are automatically out of the running. Or let's just give the people that are already healthy an extra monetary bonus or whatever the prize is that the winner gets, because they deserve it for being healthy.

For something the COMPANY is sponsoring it should be inclusive to all. If it's just individuals that's a completely different scenario. Just seems like a dumb idea to have the company back something like this.

Do I actually have a problem with it, might surprise you, but no. Who cares... just think it is a bad idea that could lead to some issues the company doesn't want to deal with.
FlyRod
Workplace fitness has been the norm in many countries for years, and its spreading here...both in the private and public sector. Companies and businesses realize that healthier employees save them money and help avoid too many lost work days. There is probably no perfect way to push this, but contests to motivate people who need it seem like a good start to me.

Good luck with your speaker search. Maybe try one of the fitness centers like Golds.
ChampsAg
Charlie Lima would be perfect for this.
mgreen
Man this thread dis not go where I was expecting it to.
Post removed:
by user
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
I'm cool with it, but how is it "fair?"

I am 5'10" and weigh 160lbs I have less than 15% body fat, and am in good shape.

I can't really loose any weight unless I, 1) get a tape worm, 2) get a stomach bug, 3) starve myself.

A over weight person, being 5'10" and weighing 260 lbs can lose a lot more than I can just by not eating fast food
So don't play.... Where the "fair" comes in is that when your coworkers are healthier, they make fewer claims on health insurance, which can keep your costs from skyrocketing.

Typical millennials... always looking for fair....
TXCityGirl
The Agrilife Extension service at TAMU does this. We had them come do cooking demonstrations as well.

http://fcs.tamu.edu/contact-us/

jon gruden is intelligent
So what's my reward for already exercising regularly and maintaining a healthy body fat %, resting heart rate, and weight?

These things are dumb.

To your point, OP, I think the idea to include a dietitian is a good one if y'all must engage in behavior that rewards fat people for getting fat then losing their fat.
OnlyForNow
AG
Not a millenial. But thanks.

Don't hire fat people... also keeps insurance costs down...
w8liftr
Charlie Lima isn't qualified to dispense nutrition advice (he's a personal trainer not a Registered Dietitian).

Go to www.eatright.org and use their "Find a Dietitian" link to see who is local, specializes in dietary inteventions for weight management and available to share with your company.

Remember, "Six Packs start in the Kitchen!!"
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
So what's my reward for already exercising regularly and maintaining a healthy body fat %, resting heart rate, and weight?

These things are dumb.

To your point, OP, I think the idea to include a dietitian is a good one if y'all must engage in behavior that rewards fat people for getting fat then losing their fat.
1. Your "reward" is good health, longer life, and fewer medical issues.

2. Then don't participate.

3. Is so stupid I don't know how to respond and must be a troll. It's finding a solution to a problem and helping your employees be healthier and happier in their lives - which leads to fewer sick days, less turnover and lower insurance costs. Your attitude if fine for companies that hire people for jobs. A little long term thought is needed when hiring people for careers.
OnlyForNow
AG
Correct, discriminate before hiring based on body condition.

That's what your solution is.
jon gruden is intelligent
quote:
quote:

These things are dumb.

1. Your "reward" is good health, longer life, and fewer medical issues.

2. Then don't participate.

3. Is so stupid I don't know how to respond and must be a troll. It's finding a solution to a problem and helping your employees be healthier and happier in their lives - which leads to fewer sick days, less turnover and lower insurance costs. Your attitude if fine for companies that hire people for jobs. A little long term thought is needed when hiring people for careers.
1. Not good enough. Because the fat people that win get that same thing plus cash. I want to see the $$. Plus, if I go anorexic, losing all of my muscle and remaining fat, I could still win. Then what? Now I'm severely underweight and malnourished as a result of some company-sponsored contest. But Elsie thought it was a good idea. Oh, and Elsie happens to be the manager/supervisor/whatever that organized and helped fund this contest with company money. Now Elsie has a visit with the legal department.

3. My attitude is that the intent is good, but the idea is being executed poorly. If company funds are being used, then I expect an equal opportunity to not only participate, but win. Why? Because I bring in money just like the fatties do. In fact, Elsie, since you know so much about obesity, you probably know that the obese also demonstrate less drive, energy, and motivation at work on average as a result of their obesity. So not only do I also bring in money like the obese, but I probably bring in more.
FlyRod
I give your trolling a 7/10.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.