Best Mexican Food in Bryan?

4,808 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by nonag97
The Fall Guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In town for the basketball game and wife wants to eat Authentic Mexican food in Bryan. Used to be a great place in downtown Bryan in the 1990s but can't remember the name.

Suggestions?
Tailgate88
AG
Casa Rodriguez
Max06
AG
El Sol at the corner of Texas & MLK
fanof3.88
Papa Perez downtown.
FlyRod
La Carreta Grill on Highway 21 or Peppers Cocina right down the road from it. El Sol is good as is Mi Familia sort of across the street.
double b
AG
El Sol and LA Botana (WJ Bryan location).
GT_Aggie2015
AG
No mention of La Perla? Come on guys.
michellecan
Too bad Jesse's isn't open for dinner
bobinator
AG
For "upscale": Papa Perez or Casa Rod are solid

But if I lived out of town and was coming into town for one "authentic" mean, it doesn't get much better than Raspas el Payasito for me. La Carreta is nails for breakfast.
nonag97
For "authentic Mexican" El Sol is probably the closest you'll get around here. And it rides the fence on it's authenticity, depending on the dish. All the other places mentioned here are tex-mex. Not saying they're bad, just not authentic, if that's what you're looking for. We lost our last truly authentic place when the restaurant that was tucked back away in a residential neighborhood closed a few years, I can't even remember the name.
double b
AG
quote:
For "authentic Mexican" El Sol is probably the closest you'll get around here. And it rides the fence on it's authenticity, depending on the dish. All the other places mentioned here are tex-mex. Not saying they're bad, just not authentic, if that's what you're looking for. We lost our last truly authentic place when the restaurant that was tucked back away in a residential neighborhood closed a few years, I can't even remember the name.
Are you talking about El Tampico?
Goose83
AG
While I still eat occassionally at both Casa Rod and Papa Perez, they just aren't quite at the same level that they used to be even a couple of years ago.

I really don't who to recommend anymore.
malibu9in1
Peppers across from la Caretta. Eod
malibu9in1
Eot
AgsWin2011
AG
I've never been a fan of Casa Rod but I like Papa Perez. Jesse's is solid. Haven't really had any others that I can think of.
bobinator
AG
I wish Raspas El Payasito had a better location like in downtown Bryan or something because their food is stellar.

El Sol is good too though. Bryan has quite a few places that are good to really good. We need some in College Station.
FlyRod
Tampico and Los Molcajetes were as close to "authentic Mexican" as we've had.

Jesse's and the much missed El Vale were great examples of "border food"...or "Mex-Tex-Mex."

If you really are hung up on authentic, chase down one of the many taco trucks that cruise our area...some are very very good.
bonfiresmoke
I love Raspas El Payasito. The tortas are fantastic with my favorite being the Cubana. All their food is amazing. You have to try the corn they sell outside. I don't know what it is, but it is shaved fresh off the cob, mixed with some cheese and maybe a cream, FANTASTIC. When finished eating, get a fruit cup. It is fresh fruit with lime juice and a seasoning on it, again FANTASTIC.

I'm just a redneck from Louisiana enjoying what I consider to be one of a kind Mexican food.
bobinator
AG
Yep. Their Cubana torta is one of the BCS' best dishes.
nonag97
Tampico! Yep, that's the place. Man that was some good grub!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.