Atkinson Toyota

6,629 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by unmade bed
Aggie72BQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
not used to their high pressure approach. They should at least send out a lot sales rep that speaks and understands Engrish. And knows the vehicles details. Not sure I'll go back.
hihozippo
AG
Good to know. I can't stand that high pressure crap. All it does is piss me off and turns me into a total witch. As if buying a vehicle was a pleasurable experience before, I make it a living hell for the salesman after that. I won't even mention what happens if you talk to me like I'm some dumb woman who doesn't know a thing about vehicles.

Can you tell I love buying a new vehicle?
Aggie72BQ
AG
You should meet my wife! She can get a little one sided!
hihozippo
BigBubba
AG
What will it take to get you in to this vehicle tonight?
Aggie72BQ
AG
Thought I'd find a laid back Aggie dealership. WRONG. Guess I'll go back to N Texas. Sad.
Aggie72BQ
AG
He complimented me on my driving. While he tried to read sticker through the window. I knew more about the the damn truck than he did. Too bad for them.. Lost a cash buyer.
BCStalk
I am pretty annoyed by their check in. I just want to park and handle my business. I snuck in through the back way just to avoid the annoying kids with their clip boards. Think highly of their service department but the dealership is a joke.
armymom
We have bought about 5 vehicles from there and we go to the same salesman, tell him what we want and deal is done immediately. Never had high pressure sales from them ever. Can't same about the Ford place though. That is why we always go to Toyota. Sorry you had a bad experience.
Aggie72BQ
AG
I wish I had known someone to ask for. We're here parttime and thought I would look here. I'm sure my experience was not their normal way. Care to shere your salesperson's name?

Was hopin for an Ag.
BQ_90
AG
I found similar situation in '08 when I bought my Tundra. They only had interest in selling me what they wanted not what I wanted. My guess is they want me to buy what was on the lot only. I had specific specs I wanted. So the salesman said he find one for me. Called me back the next day to come look at truck, wrong color, wrong features etc, not what I wanted. Pressured me hard to buy. Told him no and left. Went to Houston and bought truck and got exactly what I wanted. Atkinson guy kept calling to,pressure me to buy even after I had already told him I bought somewhere else.

On the flip side I use them for service, their service department has been fantastic anytime I've used them
75AG
AG
I heard Repo Joe will follow you home and look in your windows.
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
I found similar situation in '08 when I bought my Tundra. They only had interest in selling me what they wanted not what I wanted. My guess is they want me to buy what was on the lot only. I had specific specs I wanted. So the salesman said he find one for me. Called me back the next day to come look at truck, wrong color, wrong features etc, not what I wanted. Pressured me hard to buy. Told him no and left. Went to Houston and bought truck and got exactly what I wanted. Atkinson guy kept calling to,pressure me to buy even after I had already told him I bought somewhere else.

On the flip side I use them for service, their service department has been fantastic anytime I've used them
Most dealers will tell you that they make virtually all of their money in the service dept. Selling new cars is a necessary evil that consumes a lot of overhead. I think that is why they seem to put no effort to hire quality folks in sales or put an effort into the showroom.
Ratsa
We've bought two cars from Atkinson. The first one was from a young Ag who didn't stay for very long. He didn't do a lot to impress me, but I didn't have any real complaints about him. The reason I came back for the second vehicle was because of the service department. It may not be the cheapest, but I have always received excellent customer service. The second vehicle we bought from Ben W. at Atkinson. He was a great guy to work with: treated me with respect, answered my questions, wasn't pushy, but made sure things were moving at the pace I wanted them to. If they had a vehicle you're interested in, I would encourage you to go back and try a different salesperson.
armymom
Don Lemon is our go-to guy!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
We have purchased many cars over the yrs there. Richard Miller is our go to guy and usually gets us a deal that beats big city prices or comes close.

I 100% agree their check in process is a total nuisance and annoyance. Its awful.
halibut sinclair
Is Billy Bean still there? We dealt with him a few years ago and he was great.
AgResearch
AG
quote:
What will it take to get you in to this vehicle tonight?
Yep heard that too when we went there to look without any intention to buy a few years back.

"Give it to me for free because I'm not buying anything right now" wasn't exactly what they expected for a response.
unmade bed
Just bought a car there. Salesman was Gene Walker. Thought he was great. Found exactly what we wanted. Price was what I had expected to pay after researching internet, and I got them to give me $500 more on my trade in then I was expecting.

I wouldn't say he was "high" pressure. He did try to sell what they had on the lot and did make a ridiculously low offer if we would "buy it today." But it wasn't what we wanted so we declined. That was the end of it.

I understand why they do that, they have to try to sell what they have because the overhead on keeping the cars on the lot and getting the car you want kills any profit margin the dealership can makr, and some people aren't picky and will go for it.

I do agree that car shopping is a pain in the ass and based on anew outdated sales model.
BCStalk
quote:
Is Billy Bean still there? We dealt with him a few years ago and he was great.

I saw his son working there. Don't know if Billy retired or not.
LunitadelNox
They're employees can be a bit overbearing, but I always consider them when shopping for a new car, because of how much they put back into the community. Really wish the employees could take a hint, though.

BQ_90
AG
That makes a lot of sense. I'm sure with the Internet it's hard to make all that much off a vehicle when you can do a bunch or research on prices
Frio Cielo
My momma always told me that if you don't have something nice to say, it's best to say nothing.

Next topic.
Eliminatus
AG
Their sales manages to hit every one of my irritant buttons. Very pushy and fake. Plus hearing what later turned out to be a manager verbally berating an employee and basically calling them a complete idiot, not exactly right in front of paying customers bit sure as **** not behind closed doors either, made me up and leave.

Second hand story wise I have known a couple of people that have worked there and both ha e stated what an absolute toxic environment it is. From the tippity top on down. And these are people to not just ***** and moan about a past job. They both chose to leave.

On the other hand their service department seems to be a completely different entity. Very professional and nice and though it may not be the biggest joy in the world dealing with them, it is not that far from it when you have a problem with your vehicle. Not the cheapest of course but again the service itself is top notch. Worth every penny to me. The best by far out of the now four service departments in three states I have dealt with.
jmazz
AG
My buying experience there was great (summer 2013). My sales guy was a recent Aggie graduate and I didn't feel pressured. I knew I was 100% walking out of there with a new vehicle so perhaps I didn't care if I was pressured. I negotiated back and forth with the sales manager (or whoever my sales guy was going to) by writing down my offer on paper. Sales guy would take it to the powers at be and come back with a counter (also on the piece of paper). We did that a few times, settled on a figure, wrote it up...done deal.

Still take the vehicle there for service too. The first two years were free and I paid for two more. I love how you can make an appointment and just roll right up. The waiting area is great (way better than Ford, which is my other vehicle) and I'm fine with their pricing.

For what it's worth, I felt more pressured to buy at the Ford dealer (late last summer). But again, I was fairly certain I'd be driving out of there in a new truck.
angus55
We had a great experience with them when we bought my wife's Highlander. We were not pressured. My wife knew what she wanted and they brought what we wanted in from another place for us that day. I was on night shift so they had everything ready for me that late afternoon and they gave us more than I expected on trade in. My wife's cars will be from them here on out.
Jinx
I also had a good experience there. I knew exactly what I wanted before I walked in the door, which is something that seems to run common in the "good experience" anecdotes above. We left to "shop around" and felt no pressure about doing so. We spent some time at another dealership looking at a comparable vehicle and something was definitely lacking there. "Other dealership" was drab and gloomy, no employee in sight for several minutes and the whole time we did speak with someone they just seemed like they did not want to be there at all. I knew the moment we stepped in there we would not be buying there, but we needed a price and deal to compare to. We returned to Atkinson with some numbers, sat down and talked to the same rep for a bit until we got a price we felt comfortable with and boom bam done. It was my first car buying experience and they made it extremely easy. We knew we were buying a vehicle that day it was just a matter of the right price and the right attitude, so maybe the pressure was off a little.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
We had a great experience with them when we bought my wife's Highlander. We were not pressured. My wife knew what she wanted and they brought what we wanted in from another place for us that day. I was on night shift so they had everything ready for me that late afternoon and they gave us more than I expected on trade in. My wife's cars will be from them here on out.

the new shape Highlander (most recent shape) is pretty awesome. thats what i got too.

definitely could be better in the gas mileage arena, but a great car nonetheless.
chloelee
Billy Bean is at Madisonville store. His brother Michael is at Bryan store.
TXAggie1976
AG
We have bought from there since 1976. Buy new cars every few years and always happy to go back.
aggiepaintrain
AG
The cardinal sin is letting a prospective buyer walk the lot and no one shows up to greet you. Atkinson has solved this problem as best they can, sure it's not perfect.
They have a new GM that I have heard great things about.
Their service dept is second to none.
I've bought so many cars there I've lost count.

And Billy is in Bryan now.

pudge
I would prefer if they would leave me alone to look around at vehicles because I have already researched the details about the type of vehicle and what they have in their inventory online. When I'm ready to talk and ask questions, I'll go in the door and ask for a salesperson.
dubi
AG
quote:
I would prefer if they would leave me alone to look around at vehicles because I have already researched the details about the type of vehicle and what they have in their inventory online. When I'm ready to talk and ask questions, I'll go in the door and ask for a salesperson.
Tell them that and they will leave you alone.
BCStalk
Sometimes. I still prefer Sunday shopping. No pressure no problem.
Aggie72BQ
AG
Actually, no they didn't. And I knew more about the truck than the sales person did.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.