Anyone use the Amazon Fire Stick?

2,645 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by GoneGirl
BCSMom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thinking of dropping satellite and using the Amazon Fire Stick along with Netflix and Hulu.

Anyone have any pros/cons?

I am curious to know if it can stream college football? Specifically Longhorn network. Also what about KBTX (for the news)

Thanks
BCStalk
Buy a HD antenna while you're at it
starbuck128
AG
We have Chromecast. My husband is the tech person in the family, but it sounds like to me that the difference between Chromecast and the Fire stick is Chromecast allows us to stream from our computer in addition to mobile devices. We can cast any video playing on our tablet, phones or computer to the TV. I believe Amazon just allows certain apps from mobile devices to stream. This is useful because we can't get PBS or CBS.com episodes on our mobile devices.

We had Sling TV during football season for ESPN, etc. I don't know if they have the Longhorn network.

Our antenna picks up KBTX easily in south CS. We can get FOX, NBC and PBS kids with a little bit of effort. When we were in North Bryan, we got about a dozen channels with our antenna.
techno-ag
AG
You'll definitely need an external antenna. Might have to frequent restaurants/bars for some sporting events, or go over to friends that still have cable.
justalocal
I have the firestick and like it for what we use it for - to watch prime movies/shows. Got it for the children.
montegobay
We use the fire stick to stream Netflix, Amazon prime, and sling TV. Sling only costs $30 a month if you add the premium sports package. We also have an internal antenna that we get all of the networks with except ABC. We haven't missed cable at all!
BlazeHarper
I use ROKU 3 has more content options.
BrazosWifi
I prefer the Roku 3 over any of the "stick" devices. It is fast and has tons of content options.
starbuck128
AG
Chromecast casts any phone, tablet or computer screen onto the TV, in addition to streaming apps. That means it isn't limited to just the apps like most other streaming options. One can't really say Chromecast has limited streaming options when it will display any website, photo, sound or video from any device.
MisterShipWreck
If I didn't have to get the NHL package every year, I would be tempted.
GoneGirl
AG
We went with the Roku 3 - after reading several different reviews, it seemed the way to go.

This is a pretty good comparison of the different systems and their strengths and weaknesses.
http://www.cnet.com/news/chromecast-vs-apple-tv-vs-roku-3-which-media-streamer-should-you-buy/

Sling has the SEC Network available for $5 month extra. LHN is an ESPN product, so if anyone has it, it will be Sling.

Note - to anyone buying the Roku 3, Best Buy has it for $89 online and $99 in the store - they'll honor their online price in the store if you show it to them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.